file SuperCenters and cats?

• sayersweb's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 22
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
sayersweb Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Today I was looking at my sisters SuperCenter X and suddenly realized that my cats would certainly climb on top in my house. There is no grill, just fabric that is not very tight. I'd be afraid that their feet would sink enough to put pressure on the radiators. They would probably sleep on top of the speaker as well.

Has anyone experience with this? Unfortunately, this may be a deal breaker for me. The SuperSats need to be crossed over quite high... which I think would greatly reduce the listening experience.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Sayersweb,

I think it would be easy enough to place the SCXL in a AV cabinet or put a grill over the speaker. My other concern with cats, unless they are de-clawed, would be them treating the Triton towers like giant scratching posts! :ohmy:

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 8 years 11 months ago
With an animal in the house, especially cats, things are compromised. Are the cats declawed? Cats and dogs are like humans...if they're not pooping, peeing, shedding, and vomiting, they're bleeding...they are like children that never quite grow up. Got a cat...take your chances.

As far as a high crossover on the SuperSat's, the listening experience is not compromised. A lower crossover has no real added benefit.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

The more I think about it the more I realize the SuperCenter just won't work. My cats don't have front claws, so no concerns about the furniture. My only choice is the SuperSats, will have to think about that. One of the main reasons I'm so wanting the GoldenEars is for the tweeters. Coming from Infinity Kappa's and their Emit R tweeter I really like their crystal clear sound. My ears tend to get fatigued easily by noise/distortion in the upper ranges.

T Cobe wrote: Sayersweb,

I think it would be easy enough to place the SCXL in a AV cabinet or put a grill over the speaker. My other concern with cats, unless they are de-clawed, would be them treating the Triton towers like giant scratching posts! :ohmy:

Cheers,

T Cobe

The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Hi Sayersweb,
I cannot speak to cats and speakers, but I can agree to the MAX about the wonderful HVFR tweeters we are all enjoying, they are the cat's meow, IF I might make a joke.
I have my SC X in a cabinet, with just over an inch plus open above the top of the speaker, and it works/sounds great. A cat could get to the front but not the top.
Wish this would help, but LOTS of people are enjoying these fine speakers without problems.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

Looks like the SuperSats are my only option if wanting to go with GoldenEar. Which means I must get Triton Threes or Twos instead of the Fives. With Fives set to small as recommended by GE, the lower crossover level of the SuperCenter is absolutely needed, otherwise lower vocal content ends up going to the external subwoofer, which is never a good thing.

With the Threes or Twos set to large, then the content from the SuperSat Center goes to the mains and is imaged properly. The LFE output can go to the external subwoofer.

BTW... my cats spend most of their time playing, purring, investigating, and cuddling as opposed to those things you mentioned.

anthem wrote: With an animal in the house, especially cats, things are compromised. Are the cats declawed? Cats and dogs are like humans...if they're not pooping, peeing, shedding, and vomiting, they're bleeding...they are like children that never quite grow up. Got a cat...take your chances.

As far as a high crossover on the SuperSat's, the listening experience is not compromised. A lower crossover has no real added benefit.

The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support SuperCenter Series SuperCenters and cats?