file Atmos via in-ceiling or SuperSat 3?

• Jamespat's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Jamespat Posted 9 years 10 months ago
Hi all! Finally decided on Triton 7s and SuperCenter up front on a 5.1, which I am planning to stretch into a 5.1.4 Atmos system. I think SuperSat 3 is more than adequate for the rears. My question is about the Atmos addition. I actually heard the Goldenear Atmos demo at CEDIA this year and came away believing Atmos is NOT going the way of 3D video. I entered the demo a pessimist and left an evangelist! First a few particulars (and peculiars) about my theater:

Room is 16-ft wide and 20-ft long. First row is 12-ft from screen and second is 17-ft, both rows sit on risers (stadium style). Two doors open into the room meaning the L&R are close to the wall mounted screen. Now the unusual...To create visual design interest the ceiling is "stepped -up" near each seating riser which creates a ceiling about 8-ft above each riser. The soffits that create the steps are not simply squared parallel to the screen wall, but undulate in and out in a wave pattern. Beside looks, it also presents no first reflections to the seating positions (good intention but worked totally by chance!).

A few thoughts...

Stepped ceiling prevents up-firing Atmos speakers, and 12-inch soffit steps may create problems with ceiling speakers.

Room width and soffit obstructions will make in-ceiling speakers a bit inconvenient to install.

Mounting 4 SuperSat 3s on the ceiling is less taxing and the SS3s benefit from a known enclosure and performance.

Dolby shows overhead speaker locations for a single row, thoughts about 2 rows? Perhaps SS3s mounted high on walls near ceiling?

I know this sounds a bit conversational, I am thinking out loud. I would appreciate any thoughts you guys may have.

Thanks - James

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Moderator Posted 9 years 8 months ago
Ceiling mounted SuperSat 3's would be fine for your Atmos height channels. Mount them slightly in front of the front row and just behind the back row. Mounting the "C" versions horizontally and aiming toward the center of the room would probably be a good solution.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series TritonCinema Atmos via in-ceiling or SuperSat 3?