file Rec needed for integrated amp for Triton 1s

• KimchiHo's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 22
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
KimchiHo Posted 5 years 9 months ago
Hi y'all,

So, I just came to the conclusion that I need to get a separate dac/amp setup for my 2-channel listening. I prefer not to have to try out different dacs or amps, so I think an integrated amp is the way to go. My budget is $5k, but wouldn't say it's a goal to max out that budget :)

I was recently looking at the Anthem STR integrated amp given the great reviews, under $4k price point, and ARC. But, I might be looking at a product that is too new, and there are likely some older, but better stuff out there.

FYI, I don't have a particular genre of music that I focus on. My source is mostly streaming and through my Mac Mini via optical. Source will be the last thing I upgrade out of speakers, amp, pre-amp/dac, source.

Let me know if you have any solid recommendations for me. Honestly, would consider a separate pre-amp/amp setup if it makes sense...just kind of assuming that I'll appreciate the simplicity of an integrated.

Thanks all!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Timecop's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 270
Timecop Posted 5 years 9 months ago
I’m not sure I understand your question. You said that you’ve come to the conclusion that you need DAC/amp separates - but in the next sentence you say that you want a integrated unit. My recommendation: if you what the highest sound quality possible and are feeding lossless files in, then go separate DAC/amp. If you listen to anything compressed, an integrated unit would be fine.
Triton Two front L/R
SuperSat 50c center
Triton Seven surround L/R
SuperSat 50 surround rear L/R
AVR Arcam AVR-21
Amp Marantz mm7025
Velodyne optimum 10” sealed, back left corner
SuperSub X front-right corner

Oh, I can see how that was confusing. I meant that I needed a separate processor and amp, from my 5.1 AV receiver, for 2-channel music. Whether it be an integrated or separates (pre-amp/dac + amp), I don't have a strong preference, but just assume that I will prefer an integrated as I don't anticipate experimenting with different pre-amps or amps.

So, my lossless is all through streaming through Tidal -- I don't have my own flacs. At the risk of asking an ignorant question, why wouldn't a well-designed integrated amp work as well as a separate DAC/amp setup? If the difference is more than subtle or objectively better (not just sounding different), then I could justify the added complexity of a separates.

In either case, are there some models that you would recommend? The only non-obvious feature that I would need is a HT bypass to work with my AV receiver.

Thanks for all your help Timecop!

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 5 years 9 months ago
An Integrated Amp for the T1's? This may be right up your alley...

Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP Integrated
www.primaluna-usa.com/dialogue-premium-hp-integrated/
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 5 years 9 months ago
I'd be remiss if I didn't recommend the gear I'm using. Just within your budget and criteria. I'm using a Musical Fidelity M6si amp and a Schiit Yggdrasil DAC. Very Triton friendly :)
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html

That primaluna looks legit! I have never done tube before — are the tubes themselves difficult to replace?

Any thoughts on the NAD M32 or the Devialet Expert 130 Pro? The integration of streaming is alluring as I wont have to muck around with my mac. However, it does not look like the Devialet supports Tidal in a native fashion (would have to go through Roon). I could get a Bluesound Node 2 to address (could also do that with the prinaluna), but that would sort of defeat the purpose of having an “all-in-one” unit. Fyi, I would be able to source the 130 at around $4k vs the M32 at $3500 — for that price it seems that most would go for the Devialet.

Let me know what y’all think. Thanks again!

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Rec needed for integrated amp for Triton 1s