file T2+ auto standby long delay

• timbre's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 7
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
timbre Posted 6 years 8 months ago
I've found that my Tritons stay "on" for several hours after system shutdown, unlike my other subs which go to standby in 10 - 20 minutes. This seems like a waste of power, however small the drain. According to my Kill-a-Watt, the towers still use 6 - 7 watts each once the system has been shut down. I switch the system on and off several times each day, and with the long "standby" time, the pair of speakers will be using about 13 watts for 14 - 16 hours a day, whether the system is on or off. These days, with concern about phantom power draw, this long delay is not ideal.
When the speakers eventually switch to standby, they use 2 - 3 watts each.
The obvious solution is to plug the speakers into a switched outlet so power is supplied to them when the receiver is turned on, and power cut on shutdown. Easy fix, but should it be necessary? What is the reason for the extra long delay before standby?
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Timecop's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 270
Timecop Posted 6 years 8 months ago
I have no answers, but here’s a similar topic: www.goldenear.com/forum/Triton-Towers/36...lights?start=6#20634
Triton Two front L/R
SuperSat 50c center
Triton Seven surround L/R
SuperSat 50 surround rear L/R
AVR Arcam AVR-21
Amp Marantz mm7025
Velodyne optimum 10” sealed, back left corner
SuperSub X front-right corner
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, timbre

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 6 years 8 months ago
Since the amplifier is not just for a sub, it is part of a full range speaker, we opted for longer delay for the switch to standby so the bass section would not turn off during an extended period of time with limited/no bass information. The idle power consumption is about 4x the standby consumption (8 watts vs. 2 watts), both are quite low, BUT, if that concerns you, plug them into a switched outlet that can handle the rated power. This of course means when you turn your system on there will be no bass output for about 30 seconds while the amps run through their power up routine. It is also likely the system will have an audible POP when turning off the power to the towers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, timbre

Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by timbre. info_outline
Thanks for the info, Mod. Good to know that the switched outlet solution is OK. My Denon receiver has no switched outlets, but a "smart" power bar with master and slave outlets work great. I get the quiet "pop" sound when I turn the system on, but no audible noise at shutoff.
Great that the Triton amps use so little power when turned on. Amazing for a 1200 watt amp to use 6 to 10 watts. Magic.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 6 years 8 months ago

timbre wrote: Great that the Triton amps use so little power when turned on. Amazing for a 1200 watt amp to use 6 to 10 watts. Magic.

Just so there's no confusion, that is the power consumption during idle. :)

Moderator wrote:

timbre wrote: Great that the Triton amps use so little power when turned on. Amazing for a 1200 watt amp to use 6 to 10 watts. Magic.

Just so there's no confusion, that is the power consumption during idle. :)

Right, however, the Kill a Watt didn't show more than 10 watts draw on one speaker with music playing as loud as I would ever likely play it. Haven't checked it with an action movie, but the draw with music is very reasonable, compared with my Denon receiver which draws a lot of power even when idling.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers T2+ auto standby long delay