file Updating ancient but always appreciated surround system

• LuckyMan's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
LuckyMan Posted 5 years 3 months ago
Hello everyone, I am new here. I am happy to report that I am in the process of upgrading my area system. Yesterday, I received my new Anthem AVM60. Today, I ordered GoldenEar speakers; ordered (2) Triton one.Rs, a SuperCinema 3D Array X (to be used as center per my dealer), (2) Triton 3s for rears, and (4) Invisa HTR 7000s for height speakers. I will be utilizing my old Anthem MCA50 and a new MCA525 for amplification.i will be using Cambridge CXUHD (wanted Oppo but was too late) and Apple TV4k as sources.

This is for my family room. Maybe overkill, but why not? I have a few questions; thanks in advance to anyone that takes the time to provide assistance.

1)Should I run line input to my Triton 3s in the rear? I’m guessing yes, but think it may be expensive as I am nearing cash depletion. Is it worth it to upgrade to that sometime? I need approximately 120’ of cable to make this happen.

2)I have had balanced XLR interconnects for years, but do not have enough for what will be a 5.1.4 system. In a perfect world I would match what I currently use, but am not spending that kind of money on cables anymore. I have six of nine needed. Any recommendations on brand? Emotiva cabling seem to be reasonably priced.

3) I am trying to determine where I should place my height speakers. First of all, the Owners Manual suggests that the SPS 7000 should not be placed in a ceiling higher than 9 feet. I was fortunate enough to speak to Sandy briefly yesterday, and he assured me my 12’ ceilings are not a problem for SPS 7000. Is it okay to place these wider apart than the front speakers (Dolby Atmos PDF shows height speakers parallel to fronts). Is the goal to perform the math calculations to determine precisely where to place them so that they will be precisely directed at the main listening area?

Thank you very much to anyone and everyone that chimes in to help. I am excited to be part of this community!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nevets77's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 41
nevets77 Posted 5 years 3 months ago
I would vote yes to running new lines to your Trinton 3 rears. The evenness of the bass at all four corners will be fantastic. I debated this myself but ultimately chose Triton 5's for the rears. I too upgraded to the Anthem AVM 60 and love it, however, ARC Genesis had some minor issues getting levels correct with a mix of XLR cables for my F,C,R's and RCA's for the Atmos speakers. The XLR were 6 db higher thru my Emotiva amp. I switched out the XLR's and it solved the problem .
Triton Reference Triton One's Triton Fives , ref center, invista 650's , JBL 18" sub, Anthem AVM 60 , Emotiva XPA-5 ,Parasound 2205 , Adcom 555 , clark synthesis tactile transducer,
JVC dla x55r , Oppo 103

Thank you, Nevets. Alas it is not meant to be. After running speaker wire to four height speakers (in addition to two rear speakers) through the two inch conduit I had placed in my house as it was built, there is zero room left to run anything else. That’s what I get for running 12 gauge speaker wire. I am not sure if I could find long enough subwoofer cables at a palatable price anyway. I found 15 meter for a good enough price, but am not sure that is long enough. I ran wire to my rears when I iced in six years ago and cannot remember the length. Maybe someday when I decide my drywall patch skills are good enough I’ll place another conduit.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 5 years 3 months ago
Hi, Luckyman

Good moniker!

You're obviously building a super system!

Never heard of using a SuperCinema 3D Array for a center channel only. That Array is usually stand alone. Have you considered a SuperCenter? A XXL or Reference would just sing with those one.R.'S.

Moderator Dude, comments?

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 5 years 3 months ago
I've heard of one other wiring all three channels as one for center on a 3D Array (I assume that's what's happening here). It apparently worked, but I have no idea how it sounded.

If that what has to be, so be it, but I'd think a SuperSat 60C would do well in space limited applications.

If there's room, a SuperCenter is preferred, especially an XXL or Reference with those lovely T1.R speakers!
The following user(s) said Thank You: LuckyMan

Thanks Rick!

I originally planned on using a SuperSat 60C, but my dealer convinced me to use the sound bar instead with it wired to use all speakers are a center instead of LCR. So far, I only have a 5.2 setup as I am waiting on delivery of my second amp — and still trying to decide on HTR7000 positioning. Gotta say, the sound bar is sounding good to me as a center. Pleasantly surprised. I would love to be able to use the best Goldenear center channel available, but alas I am unable as the speaker needs to fit on the sound bar of my MantelMount.

Would you happen to know of anyone happy with HTR7000s being a foot or so away from ideal MLP positioning. I calculate approximately 108” ceiling to ears, and therefor HTR7000s should be 62” away. I am wanting to widen it to slightly enlarge the sweet area to encompass the whole couch. I assume (not sure I am right) that the angle of dispersion should help with offset.

Jeremy

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Clubhouse Show Off Your GoldenEar System Updating ancient but always appreciated surround system