question-circle Running LFE connection AND 2.0 at separate times OK?

• scolley's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 2
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
scolley Posted 5 years 5 months ago
Hi folks. New here, with a question I can't seem to get the answer to.

I've got a new pair of Tritons on the way, that I plan to use as plain old 2.0 right and left speakers to a traditional hifi systems. Hook up for that is simple.

However, they will be located on the right and left sides of my TV, which has a soundbar and a subwoofer that uses an LFE signal from the soundbar. I'd love to lose that subwoofer.

Given that I'll never be listening to the TV and the hifi at the same time, I'd love to remove the subwoofer, and take the soundbar's FLE wire and hook it to the LFE connection on one of the Tritons. As far as signals go, it would be either/or. If the hifi was playing - using the two speaker level connections on the back of the speakers - the soundbar would be off, so there would be zero signal to the LFE connection. And the reverse is also true... if the TV were playing, the hifi would be off (no signal to the speaker level inputs), but a live signal on the one LFE connected speaker.

Any reason why this would not work?

Thanks. :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 5 years 4 months ago
This is not recommended in case of potential between the two different units connected to each speaker. It would be best to have a separate sub with your sound bar.

scolley Posted 5 years 4 months ago
Thank you for the reply. I'd like to follow up with three additional questions to that response, please.

First, are you recommending not doing this because having both inputs receiving a signal at the same time (should that ever happen) would be bad? Or are you saying that it would be bad even if one of the two signal sources (the hifi amp and the soundbar) were always powered down?

Second, should there be a time - let's say by accident - that both systems (the hifi amp and the soundbar) were both actually sending signals to the Tridents at the same time (one on speaker inputs, one on FTE), what would the potential outcome be?

Third, that outcome - whatever it is - is that something that is known to be a risk, or is it just assumed?

I get that -- in general - you don't think this is a good idea. So I'm trying to qualify what the risk is. :-)

Thanks,
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 5 years 4 months ago
This is not a connection scenario we would recommend and would be best to maintain the two systems independent of each other.

scolley Posted 5 years 4 months ago

Moderator wrote: ...not a connection scenario we would recommend...

Oh. So using the word "we", I guess that means you are more than a Moderator on this forum? You are also a technical representative of GoldenEar Tech? That's what it sounds like, and good do know if that's the case. Thanks.

But clearly you don't want to go into the details of why not (i.e. identifying potential impacts). That's your prerogative, of course. Though it would have been nice to know.

Thanks for the help. I'm not going to try to run both connections. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 5 years 4 months ago
Hi Scolley,

I believe the Moderator is advising you against the connection scheme you proposed because there is the possibility of a potential voltage difference between the two independent audio systems, which, if present, could cause issues within the Tritons' LFE amplifier.

However, I believe that you can still achieve your objective as follows.

1. Purchase two separate AC power strips, each with surge protection. Be sure that each strip has an "Off/On" switch and, preferably, a light to indicate the status.

2. Plug the Soundbar into one of the strips and the Triton LFE amp into the second strip.

These two strips should provide the needed AC isolation to protect your Triton LFE input. You will need to turn off one of the two strips, depending upon whether you are using your system for either music or AV sound.

Then, you can connect the LFE cable from the Soundbar to the Triton LFE input, as you have proposed.

Mr. Moderator, please comment upon my suggested approach.

Or, as a simple alternative, and if the Moderator still objects, simply arrange to unplug either the Triton(s) LFE power cord or the Soundbar's power cord, depending upon which system you are using.

Additionally, if this plan works out, you can also purchase a "Y Adaptor" for the LFE cable. This adaptor will allow you to send the LFE signal to both Tritons instead of just one. In this case, both Tritons would need to be plugged into the same AC strip, or unplugged as discussed above.

Happy Listening,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, scolley

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Clubhouse Show Off Your GoldenEar System Running LFE connection AND 2.0 at separate times OK?