file Sherbourn amp with Tritons

• ThatGuy's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 6
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
ThatGuy Posted 6 years 6 months ago
First time posting! Just picked up a Supercenter XXL and about to pull the trigger on the Triton 2+s! The XXL is amazing! My current AVR is a Denon X3300W, rated 105w/channel, 2 channel driven. I wanted to upgrade my speakers first (entry level Polk setup) before upgrading a fairly new AVR. I'll be getting some Supersat 3s or 50s to complete a 7.1 setup. (.1 still TBD if I even need it with the 2+s)

Anyone familiar with Sherbourn audio? They were actually acquired by Emotiva. A local person is selling a Sherbourn 7/1250A Power amp for $400. It's 7 channel, 125w/channel (all channels) into 8 ohms. It seems like a good price just in terms of a power to cost ratio. I can only find info about it on audioholics, who gave it a pretty decent review. From what I've read, my Denon pre outs should have enough power going into the amp.

Does $400 for the Sherbourn 7/1251A seem like a deal? Is my current Denon powerful enough for the GE speakers for now until I pony up for a new AVR or separates? For other postings, seems advice is more power gives more headroom and clarity.

This is for my dedicated HT, so I do 90% movies, 10% music. Volume typically goes up until the wife complains. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, HTSME

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 6 months ago
Welcome That Guy, good to have you join us here. This is the place for your good questions. Course we all have opinions, but your ears have got to be the final judge, hope you get to audition gear before you buy if possible.
I would guess that the Sherbourn sounds better than the Denon, but it is pretty old, 2005 from my search. Still better than Denon, to me, but it is sorta a stop gap purchase, perhaps until you can save money to get something newer and possibly more reliable and better sounding than the Denon/Sherbourn combo.
The reason I say this is because you are upgrading to REALLY GREAT speakers, the SC XXL and the T 2+s will sound phenomenal!!!!!
That is a serious power front end!!!! And they will sound alright with the Denon for now, with the Denon/Sherbourn if that is the way you go, but some day you will want to have a better pre-processor and amps that can let those speakers really sing.
They deserve the best front end you can feed them.
But we have all had to save up, buy used, trade up, etc. to get there. You are making the BEST decision to get the best speakers first.
Enjoy the ride, it will be rewarded.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

• HTSME's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 287
HTSME Posted 6 years 6 months ago

ThatGuy wrote: First time posting! Just picked up a Supercenter XXL and about to pull the trigger on the Triton 2+s! The XXL is amazing! My current AVR is a Denon X3300W, rated 105w/channel, 2 channel driven. I wanted to upgrade my speakers first (entry level Polk setup) before upgrading a fairly new AVR. I'll be getting some Supersat 3s or 50s to complete a 7.1 setup. (.1 still TBD if I even need it with the 2+s)

Anyone familiar with Sherbourn audio? They were actually acquired by Emotiva. A local person is selling a Sherbourn 7/1250A Power amp for $400. It's 7 channel, 125w/channel (all channels) into 8 ohms. It seems like a good price just in terms of a power to cost ratio. I can only find info about it on audioholics, who gave it a pretty decent review. From what I've read, my Denon pre outs should have enough power going into the amp.

Does $400 for the Sherbourn 7/1251A seem like a deal? Is my current Denon powerful enough for the GE speakers for now until I pony up for a new AVR or separates? For other postings, seems advice is more power gives more headroom and clarity.

This is for my dedicated HT, so I do 90% movies, 10% music. Volume typically goes up until the wife complains. :)

Listed to both the SuperSat 3 and 50. My ears told me the 50s were not just better but a nice improvement.

Your off to an excellent start with GET.

Del
Triton One, SuperCenter XXL, SuperSat 50
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Clubhouse Show Off Your GoldenEar System Sherbourn amp with Tritons