heart My system

• fas68@comcast.net's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 4
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
fas68@comcast.net Posted 6 years 8 months ago
I just bought my new T reference speakers. They are a big soundstage and reference quality. Had them for a few weeks and still get amazed at the music . I have had kef q900 and klipsch rf7II , acoustic research, pinnacle. All were there flagship models. This is a moor of a reference quality sound. I really love how I can use them in my surround setup and stereo mode. I use a dennon avr7200wa. Receiver and a oppo 203 4k player. And use all preouts for all channels. 7channel b&k @200watts per channels and a emotive 5channel witch is 300 watts per channel. The trefs are on the emotive butt only need less than half of volume to make them sound great. Would like to ask if anyone uses the spikes on the speakers. I have wooden floors and does it make a noticeable difference using them or not. Would like to give Sandy a thank you for all your hard work and giving the music linstening people like me a terrific speaker. I enjoy reading about your history in all the work you have accomplished.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 8 months ago
WOW fas, welcome here, great speakers and great room!!!!
Thanks for the pic.
Sounds like you have a tremendous system there, good for you!!!!!
Of course, we don't know how you listen to music, but looking at your pic I hope you spread the speakers out, apart from each other, and give them more room in your room. And toe them in toward your main listening position. They will sound a lot better.
And I would recommend putting your best amp on them, maybe you already are.
As far as spikes go, they are recommended, BUT they make the biggest difference in sound for people who have their speakers sitting on top of carpet. Then the spikes pierce the carpet and reach the floor below, making a much more stable, anchored base for the speakers. For wood floors you should probably get the speakers exactly where you want them in the end after lots of experimentation, moving them around and listening to find the BEST place for them, THEN install the spikes with the little round discs that come with them to keep them from marring your wood flooring. OR, honestly, just use the rubber feet. Most people will never hear any difference.
I hope this helps, keep in touch here, ask any questions you want, we are just a big family here and really respect the fact that you chose awesome speakers.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
charliehatch Posted 6 years 8 months ago

fas68@comcast.net wrote: Would like to ask if anyone uses the spikes on the speakers. I have wooden floors and does it make a noticeable difference using them or not.

Hi fas68, and welcome to the club! I still marvel at the sound from my TRefs.

I do use the spikes with discs, and I installed a piece of relatively thin felt (self adhesive) on the underside of each disc to protect my laminate floor. The felt makes it possible to very carefully slide the TRefs if I have to, although they are now in what I think is the final position for all time. Hah.

Do the spikes make a difference in the sound? I couldn't tell, but I don't have the best hearing in the world either. It is reasonable from a mechanical engineering perspective that the spike/disc is a more rigid support than the rubber feet (that much was noticeable), so the speaker should move less under speaker reaction forces than with the rubber. But I think that the difference in sound quality will be small, even for people with real ears.

Charlie
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 6 years 8 months ago
Hi Fas68,

Regarding the spikes, here is an alternate approach - from an earlier post from me in this forum:

I visited Home Depot this morning and purchased the following items:

1. Quantity 16 -- 1/4 x 20 round head bolts, 1.5 inches long

2. Quantity 64 - 1/4 nuts

These quantities provided sufficient bolts and nuts to convert the bases of both my Triton Ones and my Triton Sevens.

Total cost: approximately $7.25 including sales tax.

Conversion process:

1. To each bolt I added 4 nuts and screwed the nuts down to the base of each bolt, leaving approximately 1/2 inch of bolt thread exposed.

2. Disconnected leads and wires and placed each speaker on its back.

3. Removed all existing spikes.

4. Screwed replacement bolts into each holder in the base and hand tightened to snug.

5. Returned each speaker to its upright position. Reconnected wires and cables.

Total time to convert all speakers - less than 20 minutes.

I am almost 76 years old and did the job myself with no problems.

The 1/2 inch exposed bolt length was chosen to match the GE spikes maximum penetration into the base.

The round head bolts slide easily on my floors and the speakers are stable.

Addendum:

An easy way to add tilt with use of these bolts: Simply replace the two front 1.5 inch long bolts with 1 inch long bolts. Use just two nuts on the one inch bolt to leave the same 1/2 inch exposed thread section. After mounting, the front two bolts will be 1/2 inch shorter than the back two bolts and the front of the speaker will be 1/2 inch off the floor, while the back of the speaker remains at 1 inch height off the floor. If that amount of tilt is deemed to be too much, then remove one of the four nuts from the back two 1.5 inch long bolts. This action will result in approximately 1/4 inch height differential between the front and back of the speaker.

Happy Listening,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• joe654's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 1
joe654 Posted 6 years 1 week ago
I am really thankful to you for sharing this with us. But I have a question that what speaker should I use on my HP pc? HP customer assistant said to me that I can use the boss speaker on my PC. But I have seen in my friend's house that he is using it on his PC but the sound quality is not good enough. what speaker should I use?
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back