• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
rjohn79395 Posted 7 years 9 months ago

ArthurDaniels wrote:
... I think experimenting should be the norm, rather than the exception.

Well said, Art. I give you lots of credit for "leading the charge", including trying multi channel, even multi receiver set-ups!

Keep on keepin' on, and sharing your thoughts and insights.

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe, warriorant85

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 7 years 9 months ago
Hi Rick,

Currently, my setup has been reduced to just two receivers. I am using my Onkyo NR 3009 to control all of my speakers, except for the two center speakers, which are being driven by an older Sony 2-channel stereo receiver. This receiver is being fed by the Onkyo Center Pre-Out.

I am listening to music in the Onkyo All-Channel Stereo mode and watching movies, using the Onkyo's Dolby decoders to provide 9.2 channel sound. Although I am currently not using my other Sony AV Receivers, I have no plans to dispose of them - who knows what future configurations I might want to try.

Happy Listening,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe, warriorant85

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Here is another "bass management" thought for consideration:

I have a total of four sub-woofers available; one each in my two Triton Ones, a Paradigm and a Klipsch powered unit. All of these subs are currently connected to the two sub-woofer outputs on my Onkyo NR 3009.

After extensive tests, I have determined that anytime I am listening to a stereo source, there is no bass signal present at the Onkyo sub-woofer outputs, unless I turn ON either the Double Bass or Analog Direct Bass settings. Changing the listening modes does not alter this situation. And, it does not matter about the 2-channel source. So, unless I use a secondary receiver to drive the Paradigm or Klipsch subs, I would have no benefit from the subs whenever I am listening to two-channel music.

I would like comments from folks who also have Triton Ones and other subs. Are you using those other subs when you listen to 2-channel music? If so, how are you providing bass signals to those other subs?

Best,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe, warriorant85

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 7 years 9 months ago

ArthurDaniels wrote: Here is another "bass management" thought for consideration:

I have a total of four sub-woofers available; one each in my two Triton Ones, a Paradigm and a Klipsch powered unit. All of these subs are currently connected to the two sub-woofer outputs on my Onkyo NR 3009.

After extensive tests, I have determined that anytime I am listening to a stereo source, there is no bass signal present at the Onkyo sub-woofer outputs, unless I turn ON either the Double Bass or Analog Direct Bass settings. Changing the listening modes does not alter this situation. And, it does not matter about the 2-channel source. So, unless I use a secondary receiver to drive the Paradigm or Klipsch subs, I would have no benefit from the subs whenever I am listening to two-channel music.

I would like comments from folks who also have Triton Ones and other subs. Are you using those other subs when you listen to 2-channel music? If so, how are you providing bass signals to those other subs?

Best,

Art

Hi, Art

I listen to 2 channel in Dolby surround, which directs output to all nine channels, including both the T1's and T2's. In that mode, I get all the bass I want. No LFE/sub inputs anywhere, just full range to the T1's and T2's. So, no, I don't direct 2 channel music to subs.

Re your question of how to direct bass to subs from 2.0, if you don't use double bass or Analog Direct bass, I'm thinking another option is to set the T1's as small, with a crossover in the 100 HZ range (about where the internal crossover on the T1's directs bass to the bass drivers), so content under 100 HZ is directed to subs (both the T1's and the other subs). I like letting the Triton crossovers "do their thing" when they're set as full range, but if you want to try directing some bass into the subs from 2.0, then I believe that's one way to give it a try.

Happy experimenting!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe, warriorant85

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 7 years 9 months ago
Art,

I prefer the tone and texture of the Triton Ones in the sub 100Hz range with just the speaker level inputs. While the LFE inputs seem to amplify the signal more, the sound doesn't seem as accurate or musical in my setup. Just my preference for 2-channel music. Multichannel music and surround sound is a different matter altogether.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, warriorant85

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi Rick and T. Cobe,

Thanks to you both for your comments.

Rick, after reading your comment, yet another little light bulb came on for me. I realized that I should have commented that my findings of no bass signals present on the LFE lines with no augmented bass applies to the Onkyo Full Band setting for the various speakers.

Following your suggestion, I all speakers to 100 Hz cutoff, then set the LFE cutoff to 100 Hz. In the All Channel Stereo listening mode, there was a very noticeable increase in bass levels emanating from the Triton Ones subs and from my other external subs. When the speakers are set to anything other than Full Band, Double Bass is not available, so it is clear that bass signals are being re-directed in this mode without augmentation.

My Onkyo NR 3009 provides a wide range of both speaker and sub-woofer frequency cutoff options, so I will now embark on a listening mission to evaluate various combinations.

T. Cobe, you have mentioned in the past that you prefer the "natural" sound of your Triton Ones, without sending bass directly to the LFE inputs. Here is where different equipment may well be supplying different results. For my tastes, the bass needs to be processed through my Onkyo LFE circuits to provide satisfactory "punch". However, I don't want overpowering bass. So, currently, I have my sub-woofer levels reduced by 6 db when I listening to either augmented bass at Full Band, or to re-directed bass at various cutoff frequencies.

Happy listening,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Clubhouse Show Off Your GoldenEar System A Couple of Bass Management Thoughts