file Do you like to watch or not?

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 10 months ago
"I like to watch" said Chauncey Gardener in the fantastic movie "Being There" played by the great Perter Sellers.
Well, I can say the same, I like to watch.
I recently got 3 blu-rays that are all music, no video.
"Skylark: Crossing Over" is music for the last passage we will take in this world, shuffling off this mortal coil. It is sorta new age type music, some WEIRD vocals, soaring around and making me wonder WHY I bought this???? Good quality IF this is your sort of music.
But no video.
It, like the next disc is by Pure Audio, and offers a stereo track (and this one only even a stereo disc), DTS-HD MA 5.1 and 7.1 as well as Auro 3D 9.1
"Remote Galaxy" which is the subject of another thread here, is AMAZING, blew me away!!!! Same audio only options as above.
Also by Pure Audio, "Souvenir, Tchaikovsky pieces in all the audio options above mentioned. No audio. This is string sextet music, and BEAUTIFUL!!!!
I am left cold by all this AWESOME sounding music, because I have to turn off the TV (plasmas burn in) to listen to them. And I can't see the players. I NEED to see those players!!!!
Are you one of those that likes to turn off the lights? Turn off the TV? Put an adult beverage beside your favorite listening position, and listen in the dark????
NOT ME!!! Show me the orchestra.
God Bless, Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 7 years 10 months ago
So, no adult beverage...?
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
You know the 2L recordings, blu-rays "Ole Bull", Violin concertos, and "Flute Mystery"? Right? Awesome sound, NO VIDEO.

And then there are Blu-rays that you MUST see with the video:
Herbert Von Karajan Memorial Concert with the amazing Annie-Sophie Mutter as soloist!!!

Claudio Abbado conducting anything probably, like the Brahms Violin Concerto and Dvorak New World Symphony. I have cheered this blu-ray here before,. Beautiful music and people playing. Same for his Mahler Symphony #3 blu-ray. Watch it.

Now let me say that I love the Mariss Jansons Beethoven series, but I am not all that crazy about actually looking at his face quite that much.

This leads me the last category, those blu-rays that I am not so sure are best to watch the video, I THINK about turning off the picture sometimes (not really):
Bringuier / Freire BBC Proms concert mentioned before, this concert is amazing, but the soloist could use some personal hair trimming, etc.
Or any of several Daniel Barenboim in concert, he is an absolute musical genius!!!! He does everything from memory!!! But he also could use some grooming advice as in this Chopin Concertos (great music!!!).

This is the best example though, Maestro Barenboim conducting the Elgar which has Alisa Weilerstein on solo cello. This is one of the first blu-rays I watched/listened to with the New Triton Ones, the SOUND is the most HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!!! But the expressions on the soloists' face make her hard to watch.
One of several examples where I will watch it anyway, but some MIGHT want to turn off the TV!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 7 years 10 months ago
Hey, Wayne

Good topic. Yes, my favorite mode when I can devote full attention is a Blu-ray A/V of any musical performance. That's the closest I can come to being there, and the visuals add a lot to what I'm experiencing. However, when I'm "doing stuff", with music as background, just the audio works for me, and that occurs a lot... love music on when paying bills, doing chores, reading....

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 7 years 10 months ago

Too Many Zooz has some interesting music; however, I really don't like watching them perform. The sax player, in particular, looks ridiculous.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Bro T. have an adult beverage on me!!!!
Bro Rick, YES, me too, I love to see who is playing, singing, conducting, etc. Rock concerts, love to watch who is playing what.
One thing I should have said, and maybe one reason I am NOT into POS, I don't do background music!!!! NONE, zip, nada!!!!
If music is on, I am sitting watching/listening IF at all possible, speakers or headphones, or I am walking, exercising with iems in, or on a plane, etc. But I am actively listening.

IF I cannot devote my attention to music, I turn it OFF!!!!

I CANNOT ever go to sleep to music!!!!! IF it is on, I am listening, involved, digging it, or IF I am not digging it, I turn it off.
(My wife gets annoyed with me, but MANY times in the Walmart type stores over here, they have speakers set up playing NOISE (they might call it music) and as I walk by, I turn it off or WAY down!!!!
I hate noise (I mean music???) in elevators and stores!!! Basically anyplace I am trapped and have to listen to music that I cannot choose and control.
NO, I cannot handle restaurants, clubs, bars, etc. Unless they play good music that I like.

Am I the only one?????

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Clubhouse Show Off Your GoldenEar System Do you like to watch or not?