file Triton 2+'s in Singapore

• lcheetec's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 12
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
lcheetec Posted 8 years 1 month ago
I started reading about the Triton's couple of years ago, and late last year, had decided on either the 2's or 1's. Early this year, when I found out the 2+'s were available, with most of the technology trickled down from the 1's, and in a smaller cabinet, I knew they were it.

I visited the dealer here in Singapore in Mar/Apr and had a listen to the smaller unpowered towers they had set-up. I put my name on a contact list for them to contact when the 2+'s came in (Jun/July, Andy told me). When it was a couple of days before July ended, I finally got a message. Come listen, which I did the very next day.

I listened to both the 3+'s and the 2+'s and took just 15 mins to plonk down money for the 2+'s. A week later, they were delivered! See pictures.

Connections 1
I first connected it the way most people would have, with just speaker wire from my amp (a Yamaha AVR RX-V575), and set fronts to large, with no sub. This was the way I started listening, and enjoying the 2+'s for almost a week. I liked it very much, and given the limited breathing space around where the towers stand, I was not expecting great bass/imaging. Despite this, I enjoyed the way music took on new life through them, compared to my (not bad at all) JBL Studio 530's.

They were slightly more efficient, playing louder at my usual (sane) setting of "-30db" on the Yamaha. With the 2+'s, it was "-33db-ish". However, there was better integration up and down, compared to the JBL's plus my home-brewed subwoofer (which sits adjacent to the listening position, connected via a subwoofer wireless kit). I have not had time to watch a Blu-ray through them yet.

Connections 2
After reading about this, doing some research, and digging up some old Audioquest cables I had in the cupboard, I connected the LFE inputs on the 2+'s to the Yamaha. Amazingly, there were already 2x LFE pre-outs (mono, not stereo), so I didn't need a Y-connector.

Wow! Played an old Sheffield Labs Pat Coil CD, and wow! It was nice! Bass on this very-cooked/produced CD was unnaturally punchy, the way I like it. I then played Jim Brock's Tropic Affair (Reference Recordings), another older favourite, which had more naturally recorded (in my opinion) low's, and this too, sounded fantastic. Had to leave for the office after this, but I can't wait to get home for more....

Daniel Long
Singapore
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, Dark, anthem, rjohn79395, T Cobe, Sonix, HTSME

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Sonix's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 23
Sonix Posted 7 years 9 months ago
Thanks so much for sharing your exciting story.

Do you have any update stories?

I am in the Philippines and I am thinking of using
these speakers for LR and center for my theater,
behind the screen.

Would you say that the 2+ would make a good
center speaker and would be clearer for dialog
in the center than an XXL center speaker?

Thanks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

lcheetec Posted 7 years 9 months ago
Glad you're considering these.

I use them sans center, as I don't have the space. However, they've been wonderful so far. I marveled just last night how natural Don Henley sounded through them. I've listened to Dirty Laundry since the LP was released, and played it for my daughter last night.

Don sounded as raspy, and as clear (if those things can exist together), as I've always found him. His sounds different (in my opinion) from when he sang with the band, and through the 2+'s, it was easy to tell, as I played through the Eagles The Long Run just the day before.

So while I can't, again, comment on the use of a center, I applaud your shortlisting of the 2+'s.

Enjoy!
daniel
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

lcheetec Posted 6 years 7 months ago
Been a long time since I posted...

Major changes since last time is, I now use a Yaqin MS-110B fed by a Emotiva PT-100 BasX pre.

With the tube amp, the T2+'s really sing. While I can't quote anything in particular, since I've listened to so many different albums streamed via Tidal the last couple of years, I can say that with albums I've played to death since my musical journey began some 30+ years ago, I'm discovering them anew.

Couple of nights ago, I played Livingston Taylor's Isn't She Lovely. Either from Ink or the other Chesky album, and although I was working at my laptop, I recall looking up, and hearing something I never heard before. An underpinning bass that made all the difference. Very subtle, and something I've not noticed before, despite owning the CD since the 90's.

Journey continues....
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395, HTSME

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 7 months ago
Thanks Daniel to come back and update us, wow, that Yaqin should be a wonderful improvement!!!!!
I would love to hear more.
The KT88s have a bit more muscle than a lot of tubes, and yet, still sound sweet to me. They can ROCK though!!!!
Sounds like you have a great setup and I am glad to hear you are enjoying it.
Keep in touch,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Clubhouse Show Off Your GoldenEar System Triton 2+'s in Singapore