file Triton Five bass seems a little weak?

• Dooner188's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Dooner188 Posted 8 years 5 months ago
Hi, I'm the new owner of some Triton Fives. I've paired them up with a Peachtree 220SE and am (for the most part) loving the sound. The only thing I notice is the bass seems a little weak. Voices and midrange instruments seem prominent and ultra clear, and I'd say the bass actually sounds better with Jazz, but with rock,etc. I'm left a little underwhelmed for some reason. I don't have tone controls on the amp, but if it did I would have guessed someone turned down the bass. Is a sub the answer? Obviously, I've noted that the Ones, Twos and Threes have subs built in, so thinking maybe thats it, but would love to hear other opinions.

Speakers are 18" from the back wall and 7' apart on a 20' wall and play into 40' of living, dining and kitchen room. High ceilings in 20' of that depth. Hope thats a helpful description....

One last thing. I only use them for music--don't care about home theater- so which sub (if appropriate) would you recommend?

Thanks for your thoughts..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
T Cobe Posted 8 years 5 months ago
Dooner188,

Congrats on the new T5s and welcome to the forum! Paired with that Peachtree amp, I bet they sound great. I haven't played around a lot with the T5s, just heard them at my local dealer. The few times I've heard them, I was blown away by the sound quality.

Regarding the bass, I have a few thoughts. First, if they are brand new, they may need to break in a bit and the bass should improve a bit once that's accomplished but I wouldn't expect a huge difference there. My Aons have the same passive bass radiator technology and they got better after about 69 hours. I wouldn't call their bass powerful, but it is tonally accurate and did improve slightly with breaking. Second, you could play with positioning and place them closer to the walls for a little bass reinforcement. Third, and the option I would be most likely to take would be to add a sub. That's a large room that you are trying to fill with bass. I'd recommend getting a ForceField 5 or the upcoming SuperSubXL. The XL is amazingly small and out performs the FF5. I'm a bit of a bass head and would likely go with two subs over time, but I'm a bit of an outlier. One last thought, what are you using for interconnects and speaker wire? I've been robbed of bass before by inferior cable gauge.

So, give them a little time to break in and play with your positioning. After about 100 hours of play time, give things another assessment. If you still find your bass is lacking, head to your GET dealer and demo a few GET subs. These are just my thoughts. Hopefully a few others will add to the discussion. I'm sure we have a lot of T5 owners here. Let us know how things progress. Happy listening!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Clubhouse Show Off Your GoldenEar System Triton Five bass seems a little weak?