file Dolby Atmos Installation

• fred1942's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 57
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
fred1942 Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Started about 3 1/2 years ago when my wife told me she would buy me an 80 inch TV for my birthday. I couldn't find a place to put it, so casually told her we should add a game room to our house. She agreed. Then I got into home theater and mentioned we should also add a dedicated theater. She agreed with that also. We ended up adding 2,000 sq ft to our house. Theater dimensions were designed around a 170 inch Carada screen. Ended up with 25 ft wide by 36 ft long. Has a tray ceiling in case I want to add a fiber optic star field. Equipment: Epson 6010 projector, Onkyo TX NR 5009 receiver, OPPO 103, Furman power conditioner with UPS, Goldenear Triton 2's, Super Sat 50's for surrounds, Super Sat XL for center, two rows of Seatcraft theater seats and two HSU subs. Got some DIY sound absorbers from GIK Acoustics for wall treatment.
A few months ago I got the itch to upgrade to Dolby Atmos. Bought wife some jewelry in Thailand and informed her of my plan on the way home. Replaced Onkyo with Marantz 8802A and got two Sunfire amps. Added four Invisa HTR 7000's for ceiling.
My wife's brother got up in my attic and ran the speaker wires for me. He is 120 lbs and agile as a noodle. Spent 8 hours yesterday installing the equipment and speakers. So, how does it sound? I only watched the Dolby Atmos demo disc, then listened to some SACD music. It sounds amazing! What a difference from my old system. The Goldenears really sing. Have to plan very carefully where to cut the 9 inch holes in the ceiling. Have to work around joists and electrical wires, yet place the speakers where Dolby recommends for Atmos. I got lucky. Stud finder was helpful. Getting up in the attic for me at my old age was not an option. Marantz was the simplest I have ever done. The Sunfires get no warmer than room temperature and are light in comparison to other amps. Would like to share some pictures if anyone can figure out how to do it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Sounds like a great system you have put together!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• murphyslaw1978's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 337
murphyslaw1978 Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Awesome. How much better did Atmos sound versus just the standard 5.1/7.1 setup you had? I also have Triton Twos and SS50s throughout except a 60c center.

I almost went HSU subs as well, but decided on DIY instead. It will take awhile to do, but hope it works out.
7.1 today, moving to 7.1.4 tomorrow
(2) Triton Two - front mains
(1) Sat 60C - center
(2) Sat 50s - sides
(2) Sat 50s - rear
(2) DIY 18" Stereo Integrity subs, 1100w each
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Hey Fred1942,
You had my interest when you said your wife bought you an 80 inch TV for your birthday!!!! You got a wonderful wife, you are BLESSED!!!!
Sounds like a great setup. Well done, and then you have even upgraded that
WOW
That Marantz 8802A is supposed to be a monster. Well done.
I have Triton 2s up front too. Love em!!!!!
Bought her jewelry in Thailand huh, that is where I live. IXNAY on the EWELRYJAY.
Nah, good for you man!!!!!!
Let us know what movies sound like when you really get a good listen?
And music?
Have fun with it, Happy Listening,
God Bless, Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• TanLeng's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 24
TanLeng Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Sounds like you have a great system.

I'm running a 5.1.2 atmos system currently with Triton 2's, Supercenter, Aons, and Invisa speakers....

Really tempted to add two more ceiling speakers to get the full .4 effect....

Unfortunately I don't know how realistic that's going to be since I had the ceiling speakers installed during my renovation prior to moving in :(

Kicking myself now for going with the 'safe' choice at the time of only 2 atmos speakers....
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• mwmed's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 25
mwmed Posted 8 years 6 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by mwmed. Reason: add pictures 154328.jpg is upside down info_outline

I am running a 7.4.1 it rocks . It is far from a dedicated theater room. lots of windows

Triton 5 R and L mains Parasound A 21 Amplifier
SUPERSAT 60C center (no room for super centers) Parasound A 52 Five Channel Power Amplifier
SUPERSAT 50C sides
SUPERSAT 3C rears
INVISA 650 4 in ceiling 2 Parasound Model 275 v.2
JL Audio Fathom 113 sub
Marantz 8802,Oppo 95 blu ray, Sony 70"
XPA
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dark, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Clubhouse Show Off Your GoldenEar System Dolby Atmos Installation