file new tt/cartridge bass feedback solution request

• RS1506's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 107
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
RS1506 Posted 5 years 2 months ago
Thanks for the heads up on the file size Charlie. Is there a way to find out what the limit is rather than do a hit or miss on the resizing?

Well, I moved the reference system and there is a full 5 ft between T1's and the SS cart. Slight improvement but horrendous bass feedback and louder volumes... nothing with SACD, CD or hi rez file playback. Looks like the tt/cart combo is to blame. I plan on installing my Classic 3's 10" aluminum tonearm and original SS Zephyr cart onto the Avenger and see if there's an improvement. We shall see what my dealer can do to resolve this. Current status of LP playback is unacceptable.
However I do like the new PLP... more open and airy. Give the music a chance to develop, altough I didn't see an improvement in soundstage. However, that could be becuase I didn't play a better recording, I will try a Diana Krall cd that had a great sound stage and sonics
I'll update here as we go along.
btw: I broke one of the spikes in the base of my T1's during the move. Should I replace with OEM spikes or follow another posters recommendation of using 1/4 -20 stainless steel button headscrews: 1.5" fronts, 2" rear, which provides the required tilt? Other recommendations?

Thanks
best
Gus
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, charliehatch

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
charliehatch Posted 5 years 2 months ago

RS1506 wrote: Thanks for the heads up on the file size Charlie. Is there a way to find out what the limit is rather than do a hit or miss on the resizing?

Well, I moved the reference system and there is a full 5 ft between T1's and the SS cart. Slight improvement but horrendous bass feedback and louder volumes... nothing with SACD, CD or hi rez file playback. Looks like the tt/cart combo is to blame. I plan on installing my Classic 3's 10" aluminum tonearm and original SS Zephyr cart onto the Avenger and see if there's an improvement. We shall see what my dealer can do to resolve this. Current status of LP playback is unacceptable.
However I do like the new PLP... more open and airy. Give the music a chance to develop, altough I didn't see an improvement in soundstage. However, that could be becuase I didn't play a better recording, I will try a Diana Krall cd that had a great sound stage and sonics
btw: I broke one of the spikes in the base of my T1's during the move. Should I replace with OEM spikes or follow another posters recommendation of using 1/4 -20 stainless steel button headscrews: 1.5" fronts, 2" rear, which provides the required tilt? Other recommendations?

Thanks
best
Gus

Well, Gus, sorry your move didn't solve the problem. You might try running the system in a way that produces the feedback, then gently feel various parts of the support system to see if something is resonating (vibrating). If you find something, you could try dampening or mass loading it with something, just to see if the problem goes away. Even your hand might work. If all the above works, you can figure out a permanent fix.

Moderator Dude, I can't find the file type and size limit anywhere, and I know I saw it before. Can you provide that info?

Gus, my feeling on the support spike/screw question...if you're on carpet, I don't think a round head screw is going to provide the same degree of solidity as the spike. The carpet/screw combination will act more like a spring, allowing the speaker to move more, while the spike will provide a more solid foundation. I haven't conducted this experiment, but this seems reasonable to me. You can always try both, then gently rock the speaker back and forth and feel the difference. I think there will be one. (I was able to do this and feel the support difference using the spikes with the disks on a laminate floor. I could tell that one of the spikes wasn't fully engaged with the disk. Just in the way the speaker responded to a light rocking push.)

Charlie
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 5 years 2 months ago
Hi, Gus

While you’re waiting for more options and solutions to your tt issue, I have found over time that GEt speakers, because they produce lots of sound energy, can induce sympathetic resonances in lots of places, from furniture to entertainment centers to vertical shade racks. I keep lots of vibration damping pads on hand and have used them in multiple places.

Not sure where you placed pads on your tt rack.... are there other places you could put more pads to further isolate rack/tt vibration? Like where the rack sits on the floor? Other? Even an acoustic panel or bass trap between the Triton and rack?

I feel for your problem! You’ll find a solution.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 5 years 2 months ago
I don't know the file size limits but will check and see if I can get that info.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, charliehatch

charliehatch wrote:

RS1506 wrote: Thanks for the heads up on the file size Charlie. Is there a way to find out what the limit is rather than do a hit or miss on the resizing?

Thanks
best
Gus

Well, Gus, sorry your move didn't solve the problem. You might try running the system in a way that produces the feedback, then gently feel various parts of the support system to see if something is resonating (vibrating). If you find something, you could try dampening or mass loading it with something, just to see if the problem goes away. Even your hand might work. If all the above works, you can figure out a permanent fix.

Moderator Dude, I can't find the file type and size limit anywhere, and I know I saw it before. Can you provide that info?

Gus, my feeling on the support spike/screw question...if you're on carpet, I don't think a round head screw is going to provide the same degree of solidity as the spike. The carpet/screw combination will act more like a spring, allowing the speaker to move more, while the spike will provide a more solid foundation. I haven't conducted this experiment, but this seems reasonable to me. You can always try both, then gently rock the speaker back and forth and feel the difference. I think there will be one. (I was able to do this and feel the support difference using the spikes with the disks on a laminate floor. I could tell that one of the spikes wasn't fully engaged with the disk. Just in the way the speaker responded to a light rocking push.)

Charlie

Good input Charlie. I did not detect any vibration in the avengers base, the granite/mdf shelves of my adonas signature rack or anywhere else. It's just a steadily growing Vrooommmm! that is stopped quickly by turning down the bass... Just for fun, I played the same selections via SACD with the T1's sub volume control back to "normal" and it was excellent, although 12 feet of separation between speakers and PLP may have dimished the sound stage a bit.

I have completed wall repairs and paint today. Cabling and tv move will be done soon. I can now uncover my gear and shake out the sheet rock dust and start testing! My first test will be to play an LP then cover the tt with my new full size acrylic dust cover. That should effectively stop any acoustic feedback. If it does, then I'll know it's a cart/arm resonance mismatch. Not sure if it's fixable and I'm not spending any more on this venture.

I agree on the spikes. My vendor is also a GE dealer. She is ordering up a set of 4 for me.

Thanks for the input. Appreciated.
Gus
The following user(s) said Thank You: charliehatch

rjohn79395 wrote: Hi, Gus

While you’re waiting for more options and solutions to your tt issue, I have found over time that GEt speakers, because they produce lots of sound energy, can induce sympathetic resonances in lots of places, from furniture to entertainment centers to vertical shade racks. I keep lots of vibration damping pads on hand and have used them in multiple places.

Not sure where you placed pads on your tt rack.... are there other places you could put more pads to further isolate rack/tt vibration? Like where the rack sits on the floor? Other? Even an acoustic panel or bass trap between the Triton and rack?

I feel for your problem! You’ll find a solution.

Rick

Hi Rick.
I placed them directly under the avengers feet. Absolutely no change. This is airborne feedback.. not mechanical feedback. Playing an lp with the big dust cover on should verify this. Remember, the VPI classic 3 was half the distance away, with no other isolation besides the Adonas mdf/granite shelves and spiked feed (6 of them) and I never had a hint of feedback, which was not the case for the 3 previous tt's. I'm afraid I may have taken a big, expensive step backwards. Perhaps a Classic 4 would have been a better choice.
Thanks for the input. Appreciated.
Once I figure out how to post pics, I'll send a few of the new setup once the mess is cleaned up. :)
best
Gus
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Problems and Solutions new tt/cartridge bass feedback solution request