exclamation-circle Triton One Subwoofer Output Level Mismatch

• Neo's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 6
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Neo Posted 7 years 10 months ago
I didn't want to start my first review with a problem, but perhaps I'm not the only one.

Got my Triton One's yesterday, after my first listen about 2 months ago. Read & Listened to all the hype, spoke to Sandy and decided to make the leap. After spending about an hour setting up the speakers and manually calibrating the receiver - I did some light listening for a few hours. Even with my rooms acoustic limitations the sound is amazing! The hype is real!

NOW TO THE PROBLEM:
Triton's toed in 12" from the rear wall. About 10 ft apart from each other. Listening from the sweet spot.
Yamaha RX-A2060 - Ran the test tones and found that the Right Speaker Subwoofer output was less than half of the Left.
The difference was too large to overlook and I went looking for a solution without calling the dealer.

I thought perhaps its my cable or some setting on my Receiver.
I ruled those out by swapping cables and made sure all the levels were set to "0db"... and I'm fairly confident that its my Right Speaker. Maybe there's an internal amp level setting that wasn't setup correctly?

Next I ran a Stereo bass test found on YouTube at -40db and sure enough Right Speaker was barely audible.

I searched the forum and didn't find anything similar before posting a new thread.
Is there anything else I can try to rule out human error?
Anyone else with this issue? Is this a defect?
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 7 years 10 months ago
Thanks for starting out positive. :)

Sorry to hear you have an issue with one of the speakers. I've never heard of a failure like this, failures in the powered sub section tend to be very black and white, not grey (like NO output, or no LED, or flashing LED - not "very low output"). I presume the blue light was on?

The fact that they're brand new would seem to imply a loose wire or something as they get 100% QC before shipping. Were they brand new, just received by the dealer for you (as opposed to a demo pair or a pair from their warehouse)? Best to let the dealer troubleshoot for you if you have confirmed the problem is related to that one speaker. Nothing internal to set, only control is the gain knob on the back.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe, Neo

Thanks for the quick response!

So when I ran the pink noise, the Left & Right levels match. The issue is only with the low frequency.
If I dial the Right Speaker gain to "Max" and leave the Left Speaker dial in the middle, they're almost at the same level.

They were brand new, Factory Sealed. I was the first to open and set it up...

I've reached out to the dealer - will post resolution as I have it.

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 7 years 10 months ago
You would want to ensure (a) bass dial on speakers are both at the midpoint and (b) your receivers balance control is at the midpoint/center. If the problem persists, then swap the speakers (not the cables). Meaning move the speaker on the right channel to the left and the left to right and hear if the problem follows.
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html

I've set the dials at the midpoint on both Left & Right. Receiver balance is also all at midpoint.

I didn't swap the speakers because the audible difference it significant, and speaker placement is nearly symmetrical.
I will certainly give it a shot... thank you for the suggestion!

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 7 years 10 months ago
You're very welcome Neo. Keep in mind the rationale for swapping the speakers channel is to isolate the cause of the problem - amp or speaker. It is probably easier to swap cable connection as opposed to physically moving the Triton. Just take the speaker end of the cable connected to the right channel Triton's speaker terminals and move that to the left channel Triton's speaker terminals. Leave the connections at the receiver speaker terminals alone.

Another suggestion given that your receiver balance is at the midpoint... It is conceivable, albeit unlikely, that despite the balance being at the center position it is not outputting equivalent wattage to each channel. Your particular receiver has a headphone jack. If you have a pair of headphones you can use them (with some source obviously) to more readily detect an obvious loss of channel gain. Similarly, I'm not sure if the GUI on that unit has any kind of metering that would indicate L/T output. If not and you have a tape deck with level meters use that as well to run something through the tape monitor loop and inspect meters (they are rarely 100% identical but if balance is true they should read very close).
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Problems and Solutions Triton One Subwoofer Output Level Mismatch