file Mid-range lacking - help please

• schau's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 6
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
schau Posted 7 years 10 months ago
Hi,

I am just breaking in my new Triton 1's. I am powering them with a Denon In Command receiver and the source is Tidal HI-FI music from my phone jack through to RCA input. I have the receiver set to front speakers only and the settings are on "large" "stereo" and "audyssey flat". The speakers sound great and the high range is remarkable. I am getting really low bass as well. The challenge I have is the mid range seems weak and distant. I'm sure there is an easy fix for this but I dont know enough to figure out why this would be. Can someone please assist?

Thank you
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 7 years 10 months ago
Shau,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the Triton Ones! Great pick! You're well on your way to getting great sound.

I suspect your issue here is the music you're feeding your T1s. Streaming from a phone through an analog connection to your Denon makes for a lot of potential weak links. Do you have a Blu-Ray or CD player? What does your music sound like if you play a CD?

If you're going to continue to stream music almost exclusively, I'd recommend reworking your front end. Maybe a Dragonfly DAC and a beefed up analog cable would be a significant improvement without significant expense. Otherwise, a good network streamer with a built in DAC would be a great investment.

I'm pretty confident the T1s are not the issue. If you could share a little more about your setup and intended use, we may be able to offer additional assistance. Pictures are also worth a thousand words. There are some pretty smart people here in the forum. I'm confident they will be able to steer you in the right direction.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 10 months ago
Schau,
As T. Cobe said, it is not the speakers, congratulations on getting some magnificent speakers!!!!
But your associated equipment will surely be keeping them from shining.
The source is the most important, T. had some good suggestions there, even a good CD will beat your phone my a MILE!!!!!!
And better amplification. BUT if that is not practical, then play with the settings on your receiver, turn Audyssey totally off if possible. And play in DIRECT mode, if possible.
Try those steps and I think you will be surprised.
But some of the best speakers I have ever heard should be matched with components of somewhat equal value, something better quality if possible.
Enjoy, you will have an awesome system when you are finished!!!!
Happy listening,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Thanks gentlemen, I appreciate the responses and agree it is not the speakers. It sounds like a good quality DAC is necessary to get the hi quality TIDAL files over, and perhaps some additional amplification. I'm trying to determine the best bang for buck to achieve this and hope you can assist.

1) Dragonfly DAC and a separate amplifier to add to my AVR

2) Buy a new "all in one" AVR with more power and an appropriate DAC

Will there be much difference in these two choices? And what kind of power should I be looking for to bring out the strong mid range power I am seeking? Also, an amplifier or AVR model and brand recommendation would be great as this stuff makes my head spin when comparing.

As a rookie I really value the feedback. Thank you

Cory
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 7 years 10 months ago
Cory,

There are a ton of options here. Going to your local GET dealer would be a great place to start. They can make some great recommendations AND you will be able to hear them first hand. It's always best to be able to perform a first hand audition so that you know how things will sound prior to investing any of your hard earned cash.

If your want to share a little more about your intended use, room, budget, and other gear, we may be able to help with some recommendations to get you in the right ballpark. Without knowing a little more, any recommendations will likely be pretty far from the mark. If you want to keep things simple and use a single AVR for both music and hometheater, I'd recommend an Anthem or Marantz AVR. Either brand is loaded with features and have good sound. My personal preference is Anthem due to their room correction software. If your setup is strictly 2-channel, I'd recommend an integrated amp such as the Halo Integrated or the Peachtree Nova150.

There really are a lot of options. The Triton Ones are great sounding speakers with very good efficiency. This will make finding a solution rather simple with a little assistance. Thanks for checking back! Let us know how things go and what you decide.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable

Thanks for the response. I didnt find my retailer to be completely helpful so I turned here as an alternative. I will try to be more clear so you may help me narrow things down. Ultimately I am looking to hear CD quality or better from my TIDAL library. I will be using these Tritons for watching movies and listening to TIDAL music either through my phone or computer. I will not be adding other speakers to this set-up, so just the Triton ones and thats it. I listen to lots of rock and really enjoy the punchy mids and like a powerful sound; this is where I feel I am lacking right now without a quality DAC and just the Denon receiver. I'm not an audiophile so I dont need to go overboard, but I did just buy some of the best speakers in the market and want to use them to their potential.

I am after a setup to achieve the powerful sound im after and experience the music at a high enough quality to hear the depth of the music the way it was intended to be heard. My budget could be as much as $4k, but if I can achieve what im after for less I would be very happy to do so.

I really appreciate your thoughtful responses!

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Problems and Solutions Mid-range lacking - help please