file Currently playing

• anthem's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
anthem Posted 3 years 11 months ago

Rodrigo y Gabriela and C.U.B.A. (2012) - Tamacun

Rick: I'm glad to spend your money for you ;) Let us know what you think of the Purple Flare. I think I already know what you're going to say, "I should have done this years ago. The Sky is bluer, Blacks are blacker, and detail is off the charts"...
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 3 years 11 months ago
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline

anthem wrote:
Let us know what you think of the Purple Flare. I think I already know what you're going to say, "I should have done this years ago. The Sky is bluer, Blacks are blacker, and detail is off the charts"...

OK, first impressions, Anthem. The Purple Flare PC arrived today from Music Direct. I plugged it into the tv, and have now watched a fair amount of different programming, including Blu-ray and cable. I'm watching the Dallas/NY football game now, and darn if the football field isn't greener, the contrasts more vivid, and yes, blacks are blacker! And yes, detail notched way up also, used to be that when I got up real close to the tv, I could see some blurring in mini detail, that must have made the more distant image also less clear. I just walked up now, and no blurring of mini stuff! This is more and better than I expected, and the cord can't possibly be broken in yet! Add another application to where upgraded power cords can clean up signal processing and output I guess.

The 1.0 m cable isn't quite long enough to reach the Bluesound streamer also, so I can't test it there. But based on this result, and the Bluesound Node 2i reviewer's comments that the Purple Flare improved the Node's performance, I went ahead and ordered a 1.5 m version for the Bluesound also. More on that later, gotta' get back to watching the game in gorgeous color.

Thanks my friend, money well spent I think.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, charliehatch

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
charliehatch Posted 3 years 11 months ago
That is very interesting. I'm running my Sony OLED off my P20 Powerplant, but I'm using the stock TV power cord. I have always been very pleased with the picture (as I'm sure you were), but now you have me wondering...

Charlie
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
Hi, Charlie

I would wonder too, since you have exceptionally clean power via the P20....but I suspect there would still be some benefit in good power cords doing a better job of preventing noise pick-up in the cord after the P20, better damping of whatever noise the attached device, in this case a tv's processing creates.

I think back to the review you posted when you decided to go with the P20 (I'm still jealous). That system had the P20 and still used very pricey power cords like the $17k Nordost Odin ll. I suspect power cords still play a post P20 clean up role, maybe less of a kick than when dealing with dirty power, but a role.

Rick.
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
charliehatch Posted 3 years 11 months ago
Rick,

I wish I had the Odins. I'm just running Red Dawns and Heimdall 2s. Now don't get me started thinking about that!

I was just looking at the Purple Flare connector, and it won't fit my TV. I'll have to go to another one, maybe Blue Heaven. More expensive, of course...:(

Charlie
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
Hey Charlie

Another thought. If you want to see what a good power cord does in general in a P20 fed system, an interesting experiment would be to remove the Nordost Heimdall 2 I think you still have feeding your DAC, and replace it with the stock cord. That would give some real time clues on good PC utility when installed in systems with exceptionally clean power.

Just a thought.

Rick
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back