file Currently playing

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
charliehatch Posted 4 years 1 month ago
Rick,

My annoyance stems from the fact that I've had three Class D amplifier failures. Maybe I've just had plain bad luck.

Yes, whenever you push the boundaries of what's possible, you can run into trouble. After half a lifetime of frustration, I have come to accept that software and firmware are going to have problems. In fact, I seem to have a gift for finding bugs. If there's one there, I'll uncover it, probably because I often take the untested path. Having worked along side of software development teams, I know that they test according to the intended use. There are many alternative usage paths that the designers don't conceive of and don't test for. And there lurk the black holes.

I have less tolerance for hardware failures. Why should Class D output modules have lower reliability? Designers are pushing the limits of what is possible there, and that can lead to failures. I think conservative designs that stay well within limits are less likely to have trouble this way. However, I think there's a specmanship race out there to produce higher rated power, so limits are going to be crossed now and then. Limited resources and time for thorough testing makes it harder to detect design flaws before they get into products.

So far, my TRef Class D amps have been fine, but then again I don't push them anywhere near their rated power. So, they are a probably a conservative design, at least in my application.

I've had the same thoughts about trading all the complexity of a high-end system for something really simple. But, as you point out, the SOUND makes it worth the struggle.

Charlie
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 4 years 1 month ago
Hey Charlie

I feel your frustration. I guess we all get to deal with the particular issues that come with the combination of gear and connections we've chosen.

The good part is the goosebumps, the absolute pleasure of listening to music done right! Worth any minor gear aggravation along the way, and in hindsight, virtually all the time our systems perform flawlessly. It's the hiccups that frustrate us, me included.

Enjoy your system and the goosebumps!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, charliehatch

• anthem's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 4 years 1 month ago

2CELLOS/LET There be Cello (2018) - Vivaldi Storm

What a fun cd!
An Anthem Statement P2 Tuesday!
Tomorrow the D Sonics should be on their way to Texas. Dennis from D Sonic wants both amps. I have no doubt he will make things right.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Spyro Gyra/Good To Go-Go (2007) - Along For the Ride

Another Fabulous track!
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Rick Braun/Full Stride (1998) - Aqua Funk

A nice Starbucks French roast & Aqua Funk...something to get the blood flowin'.

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Moon Hooch/Red Sky (2016) - Rough Sex

Can't have a weekend without Moon Hooch now can we boys!

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back