file Currently playing

• anthem's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
anthem Posted 4 years 1 month ago

BWB (Rick Braun - Kirk Whalum - Norman Brown) / Human Nature (2013) - The Way You Make Me Feel

Superlative sound.
A tribute album of Michael Jackson songs with a Smooth Jazz twist.
Love him or Hate him...Michael made some Great music.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Incendio/Misterioso (2000) - Jaco y Paco

Ain't life Grand. Last night I was jammin' to Incendio and I heard a pop in my left T Ref. Turns out the left channel D Sonic M3a-600M Mono decided the party was over. Texted Dennis at D Sonic and he wants me to send it in, as it's under warranty. So, waiting for a shipping label to send off next week.

Ain't life Grand. Sure glad I have other amplifiers sitting around ready to party. Today I'll be using the Emotiva xpa-1(Gen 1) mono's. Should be a Great weekend.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
charliehatch Posted 4 years 1 month ago
anthem,

My condolences. I HATE IT when that happens! Another Class D bites the dust. I'm glad you have a backup you can use. My Bel Canto (which both are always running) was great, then next day was zero. No pop on that one. But they were good and fixed it quickly.

But this Class D architecture is leaving me cold. Whatever happened to electronics you could use for decades (I'm not talking toobs)?

Charlie
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Charlie:
When you say, "Both are always running"...explain that. Did both amps go out, or just one? What did they find out to be the problem? How old are your Bel Canto's?

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
charliehatch Posted 4 years 1 month ago
I knew that sentence would cause trouble!

The Bel Cantos (REF 600M) are monoblocks, and both are always running (along with everything else). Only one failed. They were about a year old when the one failed, so still under warranty.

I sent two emails asking what had failed in the amp, and I received no reply. The return invoice stated they replaced the Hypex amp board.

I had another Class D stereo amp where one channel failed. That failure was due to a "power module", which I took to be the Class D output device.

My understanding is that most manufacturers buy these Class D output devices from third party vendors. This save us a lot of money, but I think the reliability is questionable. Also, they are pushing these things to higher power levels, which means heat. Hopefully reliability will improve in the future, but I am now pretty cautious.

I see that PS Audio has just released a new hybrid monoblock with 1200 Wpc. Hmmm, tube front end, Class D output. Hmmmm.

Charlie
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 4 years 1 month ago
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
I guess reliability issues seem to come long with complex electronics, whether they be HT systems or networks and associated equipment, from desktops to laptops to "smart" appliances.

Fun when it works, a pain when it doesn't! I haven't had more issues with class D amps (Tritons, AT 525 NC amp, Parasound v.275 stereo amp. NAD stereo amp before that), than with other types of gear, but who knows. I've had more issues with receivers losing wifi connectivity, "forgetting" channels to use with different settings, receiver or player firmware updates corrupting component connectivity, routers going rouge, etc. etc.

Every now and then after fixing another issue I think maybe I should have just gone with a simple soundbar and far less connected gear. Then I listen to the GEt HT system playing music or showing a movie, and I fall in love again with the gorgeous sound.

And then I remind myself why it' all worth it. The GORGEOUS SOUND!!!!
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, charliehatch

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back