file Currently playing

• anthem's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
anthem Posted 6 years 3 months ago

Acoustic Alchemy/The New Edge (1993) -- Cool As a Rule

So many good songs here, it's hard to pick just one.

Cynics might roll their eyes at the album's title -- there is nothing at all edgy about this duo's buffed-to-a-high-gloss music -- but The New Edge is actually one of Acoustic Alchemy's most entertaining releases. There's a playfulness to these tunes, like the puckish electronic drums on the flamenco-tinged and downright catchy "Notting Hill Two-Step" and the tongue-in-cheek boulevardier pretensions of the closing "Rive Gauche," that suggests a pair of sharp wits behind the well-packaged sheen of this music. The songs are a consistently memorable lot this time out, with a much higher than usual ratio of interesting melodies to snoozy new age mush, and the production, for once, is not so Velveeta-smooth that the record actually becomes hard to listen to. Indeed, songs like the genuinely lovely "Arc-En-Ciel" and "London Skyline" are among the duo's best ever. If you're only going to get one Acoustic Alchemy album, this is the one to get.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Roman Johnston's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 802
Roman Johnston Posted 6 years 3 months ago

Where we stayed a few weeks ago.

One of the HUNDREDS of shots I took during my beach trip. A place called Devil's Punchbowl.
LR:
Onkyo TX-NR636
Surround System = SSat3 x5
Sub - FF4

Office:
NAD T748 V2
Nearfield System = Aon 2 Mains
SSat3 Surrounds
Sub - FF3
Attachments:

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 3 months ago
Oh Man Roman, that music and those pics really got my juices flowing, and my bass rocking in my home theater!!!!
Wonderful!!!!
How you keep finding and taking some great photos I will never know. GENIUS!!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, Roman Johnston

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Joe Magnaerlli/Persistence (2008) -- Haunted Heart

Joe Magnarelli is a veteran of bands of led by Toshiko Akiyoshi, Ray Barretto, Lionel Hampton, Harry Connick, Jr., and others. While he recorded several earlier CDs for Criss Cross, this is his first release for a U.S. label. The talented trumpeter is joined by fellow New York based players, including baritone saxophonist Gary Smulyan, plus a rhythm section that has worked together regularly, consisting of pianist David Hazeltine, bassist Peter Washington, and drummer Kenny Washington. Magnarelli penned several of the songs for the sessions, including the easygoing bossa nova "The Village" and the warm tribute "Ballad for Barretto," honoring the Latin percussionist who died a short time after being recognized as an NEA Jazz Master in early 2006. His "Soul Sister" is a transparent reworking of "Body and Soul" as a spry waltz with a bit of a groove in the rhythm. Magnarelli adds a mute for the brisk treatment of the standard "You and the Night and the Music," omitting the piano and showcasing a terrific exchange between Smulyan and Kenny Washington. His warm, yet reserved playing in his laid-back arrangement of "Haunted Heart" is complemented by Smulyan's robust baritone. Highly recommended!
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 6 years 3 months ago
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Thanks, Anthem, aka DJ!

Just arrived in NH for the summer :), left my GEt system behind, again :( . It gets harder to do that every year.

Love the actiivities, scenery, chance to catch up with friends and relatives in New England, but just plain miss the GEt system. Played a bunch of favorite songs before I left to get a summer "goosebump" fix". At 90 db's, that durn GEt system just sends me into shiver territory.

I'll keep up with everyone's posts.

Already thinking of projects to try when I get back in Sept... Gaia 2's for the the Ref fronts to replace rubber feet? (love the reviews plus comments in this forum re SQ, and the ease of moving them on wood floors), maybe another Nordost power cord? Red Dawn maybe?

Happy summer everyone!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Sonny Rollins/The Bridge (1962) -- Without A Song

Tenor saxophonist Sonny Rollins' first recording after ending a surprising three-year retirement found the great saxophonist sounding very similar to how he had played in 1959, although he would soon start investigating freer forms. In a pianoless quartet with guitarist Jim Hall, bassist Bob Cranshaw, and drummer Ben Riley, Rollins explores four standards (including "Without a Song" and "God Bless the Child") plus two fiery originals, highlighted by the title cut. The interplay between Rollins and Hall is consistently impressive, making this set a near-classic and a very successful comeback.

Hey Rick: I was just thinking the other day that it's that time of the year when Rick & Judy head to NH. Glad you arrived safely. I hope you and Judy have a great summer. Don't be a stranger. Let us know what you're up to, and not to mention the great food you'll be having. I'll keep the music flowing on " Currently Playing" and try my best to keep Wayne "In Line"...

The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back