file Crossover Mods

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Moderator Posted 9 years 4 months ago

ArthurDaniels wrote: Regarding your note that 0.1 channel LFE signals can contain information up to 120 Hz: Since the 0.1 channel LFE signal is being fed into the Triton LFE input, what becomes of LFE information with frequencies between 100 Hz and 120 Hz?

LOL ... I knew that was coming :)

LFE can go to 120Hz by specification. Normally, there's nothing up there. But more importantly, the 100Hz is the hinge point, it is not a brick wall. Most of the 120Hz signal still gets through.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 9 years 4 months ago

Moderator wrote:

ArthurDaniels wrote: Regarding your note that 0.1 channel LFE signals can contain information up to 120 Hz: Since the 0.1 channel LFE signal is being fed into the Triton LFE input, what becomes of LFE information with frequencies between 100 Hz and 120 Hz?

LOL ... I knew that was coming :)

LFE can go to 120Hz by specification. Normally, there's nothing up there. But more importantly, the 100Hz is the hinge point, it is not a brick wall. Most of the 120Hz signal still gets through.

I agree - my question was a bit tongue-in-cheek. I have set my AV Receiver subs crossover to 100 Hz (Triton Ones LFE inputs connected to Sub 1 and Sub 2 AV Receiver outputs). I also have my AV Receiver Fronts crossover set to 100 Hz (Fronts connected to my Triton Ones via speaker cables). I am listening to various musical selections in Pure Direct Mode with these settings - so far, I am pleased with these settings.

These settings also provide a good sound spectrum when we're watching DVDs with surround sound features active.

My perception of the crossover filters involved in my Receiver and in the Triton Ones is that they are all fairly sharp.

• Tsgt2007's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 161
Tsgt2007 Posted 8 years 11 months ago
On my marantz receiver I can adjust my bass crossover to 250 MHz. Is that even a recommend setting for the triton 3 not using LFE?
Jose
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline

Tsgt2007 wrote: On my marantz receiver I can adjust my bass crossover to 250 MHz. Is that even a recommend setting for the triton 3 not using LFE?

Hi, Tsgt2007

If you do not have a separate, freestanding sub with LFE, you need to have the bass signal directed somewhere.

If you check out Sandy's set-up tips, he recommends setting powered Tritons (1,2 and 3) as LARGE in all cases, even with LFE connected. Some folks like to direct all the bass via the LFE channel to the Tritons as an option, by setting the Tritons as SMALL, with a crossover usually somewhere in the 100-160 HZ range (the T1's internal crossover directs bass to the bass drivers at 100 HZ, the T2's and T3's do it at somewhat higher HZ levels) and then directing that same bass to that same powered Triton via the LFE channel.

But, the bass, LFE or otherwise, has to find it's way to the Triton in some manner. With no LFE lead to the T3's, I'd say your best option is to keep them set as LARGE.

Forgive me if I've misinterpreted your question. Re setting the crossover of other speakers, set as Small, TO the T3's, set as Large, there is usually a recommended setting by speaker type..

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 8 years 11 months ago
I have tried several LFE crossover and speaker crossover settings during the months I have owned my Triton Ones. Currently, my settings are as follows:

1. Triton Ones Set to "FULL BAND" in my Onkyo NR 3009 setup.

2. Onkyo Subwoofer Outputs One and Two connected to my Triton Ones L/R LFE Inputs. The Onkyo LFE cutoff is currently set to "BYPASS".

I plan to use one of my TEST CDs to check the frequency range of signals being passed to my Triton One LFE Inputs with the "BYPASS" LFE setting. If the upper frequencies are too high, I will likely change the LFE setting to a specific frequency (probably around 100 HZ).

There are many possible settings combinations in my setup and I would expect there to be similar setup options available for most other listeners. I don't think there is any one "correct setting" for everybody - there are too many factors affecting sound in any given environment for "a one-setting fits all" setup. Besides, playing with the options is fun!

Best,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back