lightbulb A Slightly Different Approach to Musical "Surround Sound"

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
ArthurDaniels Posted 3 years 4 months ago
Hello Gang,

I am auditioning a new way of putting my Triton Sevens and SuperSat 3Cs to work in my musical setup. Because of physical limitations within my upstairs multi-media room, I can only place my Triton Sevens and SuperSat3Cs in the front, spread across my wide front wall. My Triton Ones are at each end of the long wall, with my Sevens and 3Cs distributed along the same wall and inside of the Ones.

This array is dedicate to 2-channel music. The Ones are driven by my quirky Cambridge 851A stereo amp. The Sevens and 3Cs are driven by my Cambridge CR120 AV Receiver. These connections are not new. However, what is new is that I have connected the Sevens to the Surround terminals and the 3Cs to the Surround Back terminals. I am using this arrangement to add a bit of "room ambiance" to the 2-chennel sound emanating from the Ones. I can adjust the level of this "ambiance" to match the volume level at which the Ones are playing.

It is an interesting approach and is particularly pleasing when playing closely-microphoned recordings. I am still using a third AV Receiver to add LFE bass to the Ones when listening at low room volumes.

Merry Christmas and Happy Listening to all,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 3 years 4 months ago
Thanks, Art!

A unique approach for sure!

It does sound a bit like the effect I get when up mixing 2 channel to 9 channel surround via the new Dolby Surround, including height channels. I too love the "room ambiance" effect, and can adjust each channel's contribution with receiver gain settings.

I do adjust channel sound levels to keep the sound stage in front, but love the sense of being at a concert, with the room filled with sound.

Whatever works, my friend. Love your entrepreneurial spirit!

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 3 years 4 months ago
Last edit: 3 years 4 months ago by ArthurDaniels. info_outline
Hi Rick,

When we lived in Johnson City, TN, my musical setup included surround side, surround back, and surround height speakers. I had an Onkyo 9.2 channel amplifier, which, unfortunately, died. I replaced the Onkyo with the Cambridge 851A and reconfigured everything accordingly. I did enjoy the ambiance created by the 9.2 setup.

My room in Raleigh does not support height speakers because the long wall is slanted upward after about 5 feet from the floor and does not lend itself to rear surrounds because I am sitting along the opposite wall (also slanted). I am already using the sides for surround sides as part of my separate 5.1 video sound system.

But, I wanted all of my GE speakers involved in music; thus the placement of all three pairs along the long front wall. I drive the 3Cs and the Sevens with my Cambridge 7.2 Receiver, so I can either listen to them as surrounds or as "fronts" by changing to "All Channel" sound.

Listening as surrounds, I alter the levels to provide the amount of ambience effect to add a slight amount of "concert hall" effect. The predominate source of music remains with the Ones, driven by my Cambridge 851A in 2-channel stereo.

Merry Christmas,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics DIY, Mods and Tweaks A Slightly Different Approach to Musical "Surround Sound"