file Musings About Speaker Placement and Adding Bass to Triton Ones

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Moderator Posted 4 years 2 months ago
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Moderator. info_outline

ArthurDaniels wrote: Hi Mr. Moderator,

I have a set of low-frequency warble tones captured from a Stereophile Test CD. The tones range from 1 KHZ to 20 HZ. I have listened to my setup options with these tones. When listening to various tones with the derived LFE signal from the Sony 5.1 Receiver connected to the Triton Ones' LFE inputs, it appears that the amps in the Ones are not very responsive until the tone frequency drops below 200 HZ. As I lower the tone of the test frequency, the amps become more responsive.

Thanks for your help and interest in my audio adventures.

Best

Art

Art, that sounds about right as far as what frequencies you're hearing. Our crossovers aren't brick walls so the speakers start their response above or below the cutoff frequency (depending on whether it's a low-pass or high-pass filter).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 4 years 2 months ago
All,

For anyone who owns a pair of Triton Speakers with powered subs and who happens to own an extra multi-channel AV Receiver with a sub-woofer output: If you are not happy with the amount of bass when listening to music in a 2-channel mode, rather than adding a separate sub-woofer, I heartily recommend you try my enhanced bass approach.

You can manage the "double-bass" issue because you can vary the level of the LFE signal going into the Triton's LFE port. My experience is that this approach produces a much more "musical" result than adding a separate sub.

Happy listening,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 4 years 2 months ago
Hi Gang,

I made one additional change to my setup. I added a second Sony STR DE 885 5.1 Channel Receiver to my setup. This receiver is dedicated to my two Altec Lansing Bolero speakers, which I have located as "side speakers". They are positioned at the ends of my room such that they are essentially parallel with my PLP. I am driving these speakers from the Front Connections of the Sony Amp and I use the volume control on the Sony Amp to add just a bit of "wide Left/Right sound" to my overall listening experience. I have the Sony Amp setup for two-channel analog direct sound.

Now I am able to separately control the volume levels of each of my three speaker pairs. Plus, I still have a fourth AV Receiver (another Sony STR DE 885) dedicated to providing the LFE signal which I am sending to the Triton Ones' LFE Inputs. Everything is setup for two-channel audio since I use all this gear exclusively for listening to music.

As I type this post, I am listening to a 60+ year old mono London LP entitled "Place Pigalle" by Stanley Black. I am listening at a very low volume because my beautiful bride is napping in the adjacent room. I transferred this LP to FLAC Files, using my Wave Corrector software to clean up a few pops. The sound is really good and being able to listen at very low volume levels without losing bass is really nice.

I wish you guys could hear the results from my setup.

Happy listening to all,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics DIY, Mods and Tweaks Musings About Speaker Placement and Adding Bass to Triton Ones