file Musings About Speaker Placement and Adding Bass to Triton Ones

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
ArthurDaniels Posted 4 years 2 months ago
Hi Mr. Moderator,

Thanks for that additional information. I have now listened to "enhanced bass" response using both approaches. I can certainly hear a difference between sending an LFE signal from the Sony Receiver versus sending line level signals via the Chase unit.

I believe you are correct - the Triton One's LFE input has a fairly high low-pass capability. When listening to the line-level signal via the Chase unit, I must be careful to properly adjust the bass and level controls on the Chase unit to avoid having a "boomy" or bloated bass sound. This issue is not apparent when listening to the LFE signal generated by the Sony Receiver.

An interesting observation in my early tests is that, when listening via the Chase unit, there is actually a reduction in bass output when the Chase unit's Bass and Level controls are set to minimum, when compared to the bass level with the Chase unit turned off. This was surprising and seems to indicate that the presence of a signal at the Triton One's LFE input does have some impact upon the way in which the bass is processed within the One's circuitry.

When listening to the derived LFE signal augmentation, there is not much variation in the bass sound - just variation in the overall amount of bass. However, when listening via the Chase unit, the augmented bass level sound is affected by both the bass level control and the volume level control on the Chase unit. More experimenting will be needed to determine whether one approach is preferable with regard to achieving augmented bass without distorting the quality of the bass sound.

I will continue my experiments and report further results.

Best,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi Rick,

Sorry to be a day late replying to your message. Thanks for your good wishes. So far as I can tell, I am fully recovered from the bypass surgery. I'm doing whatever I want to do with no medical restrictions. That is, no restrictions other than whatever my 78 year old body now imposes.

Winters is Raleigh are milder than in Johnson City, so I am playing more golf here and looking forward to Spring when I will be able to play almost every day.

I am enjoying working with my equipment and experimenting with various setups and combinations. Currently, I am listening with my Chase Unit supplying the added bass. I am evaluating the "realism" of the added bass sound when using the Chase unit as compared to adding derived bass from the Sony LFE output.

The Moderator has stated that there is no filtering within the Triton One when feeding a signal directly into the One's LFE port. With the frequency response not beginning to roll-off until 300 HZ, adding the full-range signal from the Chase unit does produce a noticeably different sound when compared to adding derived LFE from the Sony. When employing the Chase unit, it is easy to add too much upper bass, resulting in a bloated bass sound. The Chase unit provides treble and bass control in addition to volume level control, so there are a number of settings possibilities.

I agree with your comments regarding bass roll-off being a hearing perception issue. Aural beauty is certainly in the ear of the listener. In my case, I am seeking a balance across the spectrum, along with the ability to adjust that balance as I change listening volume levels, as I move between genres of music, and as I traverse different recordings.

Finally, I am also just curious as to what results when I listen in all of these various modes. For example, what is the aural difference between adding monaural derived bass to both channels as compared to adding the left/right full-range signal so that the bass augmentation matches what is in the original recording.

Always good to hear from you and to exchange comments via this forum.

Happy Listening, indeed!

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Moderator wrote:

ArthurDaniels wrote: Hi Mr. Moderator,

I will try both setups. My reason for asking about both approaches was to elicit comments about how the Triton One's internal crossovers and filters would handle a full-range line-level signal versus handling an LFE signal, as generated by a multi-channel AV Receiver. Also, I wondered about possible advantages related to providing a Left/Right line level signal (Left and Right to the respective Left and Right Ones' LFE inputs) versus providing a derived mono LFE signal to both Left and Right Triton One LFE inputs.

I listen to a wide variety of music, ranging from choral to full orchestra to chamber to jazz. I generally listen at volume levels considerably lower than what might be typically described as "room volume". Therefore, bass roll-off and variations in bass-level response are real concerns. I am pleased with having my Triton Ones in the corners because the enhanced bass response means that I do not have to provide augmented bass at lower volume levels as often as with my previous setup.

Art,

The LFE input on the speakers is essentially unfiltered, relying on your processor to send it Low-pass/LFE info only. You could send full range L/R line level to the LFE inputs instead but without trying it, I'm not sure how that would sound. The powered Triton amps likely have a fairly high low-pass range, but doubtful if it's much over 300 Hz or so.

Mr. Moderator,

I have a set of low-frequency warble tones captured from a Stereophile Test CD. The tones range from 1 KHZ to 20 HZ. I have listened to my setup options with these tones. When listening to various tones with the derived LFE signal from the Sony 5.1 Receiver connected to the Triton Ones' LFE inputs, it appears that the amps in the Ones are not very responsive until the tone frequency drops below 200 HZ. As I lower the tone of the test frequency, the amps become more responsive.

After listening to "augmented bass" from both the full line level tone via the Chase Unit and the derived-LFE tone from the Sony 5.1 Receiver, I have concluded that I prefer the derived-LFE tone. My preference is based upon the following points:

1. The effect from the derived-LFE tone is more subtle.

2. The bass sound is more "natural" and sounds more like an amplification of the original bass tones being supplied via the speaker connections to the Triton Ones, rather than sounding like an additional bass tone.

3. I have more control of the amount of bass I am adding with the derived-LFE signal. This level of control results from the fact that the derived-LFE signal level varies with the Receiver Volume Control.

Thanks for your help and interest in my audio adventures.

Best

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 4 years 2 months ago
Enjoy your new set up!!!!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thanks Rick,

No telling what I might come up with next time.

Best,

Art

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 4 years 2 months ago

ArthurDaniels wrote: Thanks Rick,

No telling what I might come up with next time.

Best,

Art

It's a wonderful rabbit hole, this hobby of ours... :silly:

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics DIY, Mods and Tweaks Musings About Speaker Placement and Adding Bass to Triton Ones