file HVFR tweeters upgrade for Def Tech speakers?

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Moderator Posted 8 years 3 months ago
Hey gang, fun stuff, all correct, mostly, thanks to all. Here's a few other tidbits to consider:

1) The Heil technology (patent now expired) used in the GET HVFR tweeter is not unique, other people use it, more everyday. Keep in mind that all 1" dome tweeters are "the same" too, by this reasoning, hahaha. GoldenEar's interpretation of the folded ribbon is our own, just like B&W's version of a 1" dome is theirs.

2) The real trick to implementing this tweeter is partly the tweeter design itself, but also very much the midrange drivers and the crossover. (This should be obvious by the fact that GoldenEar's Triton One was everybody's award winning loudspeaker of the year, and all the other brands using the folded ribbon were, well, not. Not to mention virtually every GoldenEar speaker model being on The Absolute Sound's and/or Stereophile's recommended component lists.)

3) If you read all the info, and listen to Sandy, you will note the midrange drivers in the GoldenEar speakers all have excellent response. all the way out to 20KHz (not that we use it all), and this, coupled with other design elements to improve high-frequency dispersion, yields the needed mating with the HVFR tweeter and the magic that follows. The midrange and bass/midrange drivers in the GoldenEar speakers are where the real magic happens - and the balanced crossover design and powered bass section put the sweet icing on the cake.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395, T Cobe, Greg Hanson

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Greg Hanson's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 8
Greg Hanson Posted 8 years 3 months ago

T Cobe wrote: Greg,

Welcome to the forum. Clearly you know what we all do, the HVFR is a special tweeter! I don't blame you for wanting to upgrade. I listened to some Def Tech speakers when I decided on the Tritons. In my price range, they were in second place.

While nothing is impossible, besides the physical modifications to the cabinet, you would need to modify the crossover as well. Unless you're really skilled, the end result would be a mess. Bottom Line, you'd be better off selling the BP 7000s and upgrading to a Triton tower. If you do some auditioning an comparisons, I'm sure you'll find GET is an excellent value.

Cheers,

T Cobe

Thanks for the welcome in, and the replies. I have yet to hear any of the GoldenEar products, but after reading nothing but rave reviews for the past couple of years, the old upgrade fever is upon me. I really like my Def Tech's, and I have finally tamed the tweeters by changing over to all silver plated copper wire, I/c's, PC's, speaker wire, etc in my 7.1 system, and NOT mixing copper and silver plated copper wires together. Just finished replacing all the stock power cords with some 10 ga. silver plated copper wire and silver plated plugs for all 5 of the front, center and rear speakers, with excellent results. Emotiva's announcement of an Atmos upgrade later this year, for the XMC-1 pre/pro led me to look at the Invisa 7000, and some thinking of timbre matched tweeters all around.....
Emotiva XMC-1, XPA-1 pair, XPA-5, Oppo 95,Def Tech BP 7000, BP7001,BPVX,CLR 3000 Morrow Audio I/C's,PC's,SP cable, Emo X Ref-10
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 3 months ago
Oh boy, Greg! Stop the pondering and go listen to the product line! While I enjoy talking and reading about GET speakers, nothing beats listening to them. Go have yourself a listen and find out for yourself why everyone is raving.

While there are other folded ribbon tweeters, and some good ones, nothing beat the GET HVFR in my auditions. They create such an open and airy sound without the hiss and etch that you can get from many metallic done tweeters. Moderator Dude did a great job of explaining why you can't pop a HVFR tweeter in your Def Techs. From top to bottom, everything about the GETs just sounds right. You really can't tell where one driver leaves off and another begins. Their sound is so cohesive: everything is there and nothing draws attention to itself. Most have said the sound is similar to electrostatic panels, except you get some monster bass!

Keep us posted on your process. Please let us know when you go in for an audition. I'd like to hear your listening impressions once you've listened for yourself. Make sure you take some of your favorite music with you. I also recommend a sound level meter to set listening levels. GET speakers are so smooth that the volume has a way of getting away from you; however, they also sound great and very articulate at low volumes.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395, Greg Hanson

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 3 months ago
Hey, Greg

As usual, you've gotten great advice and perspective from Anthem, T Cobe and Moderator Dude.

Regarding trying to "mix and match" a folded ribbon tweeter into your current speakers, I agree that trying, on your own, to create what sound engineers have spent whole careers designing as fully integrated systems.. all drivers, crossovers, tonal matching.. I'm betting on the engineers also. As T Cobe said, you owe it to your self to go LISTEN to GEt's before trying to reinvent the wheel.

Bring any/all music you want to the audition. I''d love to read what your impressions are...

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, Greg Hanson

• Greg Hanson's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 8
Greg Hanson Posted 8 years 3 months ago
Well , a little trip to the nearest dealer,in New Orleans is in order I suppose, to have a listen. I understand that the GE's design are a system and would sound far better than my tweeter replacement idea, but I would think other DT owners have thought about this as well. On to the next brilliant idea, LOL. I am a bit hesitant to audition the Triton 1's, as I have been thinking and even drooling a bit over them for a while , and would probably bring a pair or two home, just wrecking my budget.
Emotiva XMC-1, XPA-1 pair, XPA-5, Oppo 95,Def Tech BP 7000, BP7001,BPVX,CLR 3000 Morrow Audio I/C's,PC's,SP cable, Emo X Ref-10
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 3 months ago
Greg,

Your comment about the T1 hit home for me. That's precisely what happened when I auditioned the T1s. I really didn't intend to spend that much when I started shopping but once I heard the T1s, I was hooked. It took a little extra patience and saving but I've never regretted the decision.

That said, GET has a lot of options and they all sound great. They have options for nearly every budget and application. I'm confident you will find something to fit you needs. The T2s are the sweet spot in the product line. If your budget permits, I'd recommend starting there. Depending on how far away you live from Nola, it may be a good excuse for a weekend getaway!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, rjohn79395, Greg Hanson

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics DIY, Mods and Tweaks HVFR tweeters upgrade for Def Tech speakers?