file Triton Cinema Two - surround speaker options

• sbjornson's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
sbjornson Posted 12 years 1 day ago
I am planning to purchase a Triton Cinema Two system and am debating the set-up. The speakers will be used in my living room (15' x 20' with 16' vaulted ceiling), and will be paired with a Pioneer Elite SC-57 and used for listening to tv, movies and music.

I have spoken with two GoldenEar dealers and they each recommended a different set-up. The first paired the Twos with a 50C center and two Sat3 satellites which I guess is the "typical" system, but he also said I should get a separate Forcefield 4 sub to enhance the base. The second dealer said the Twos would provide more than enough base and no additional sub was needed. However, he said I should go with the 50C and either the Aon 3s or a pair of Triton 3s for the satellites. Now I am confused as to what would be best without being overkill for my room/needs - what would be most appropriate in terms of the satellites and the sub? Also, are there any recommendations as to what brand/level of speaker cable would be appropriate for the system - again trying to match to ensure great sound (but not going crazy as cables can get exorbitantly expensive). Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 12 years 1 day ago
The various suggestions you received are all good opinions. Dealer 1's suggestion is really the correct starting point and based on your room size will certainly be fine. Dealer 2 is trying to give you some more headroom (ability to play very loud and fill the room with plenty of low frequencies) for your large-ish space. Adding a ForceField 4 as an LFE channel subwoofer may enhance the movie and TV viewing experience (anything with a ".1" channel). You could always add the sub later if you felt (after breaking in the new system and evaluating its in-room performance) that you needed more high volume "impact". Triton Threes as surrounds is a very cool idea, if it fits your space and budget, but most would consider this overkill.

Any high quality cable designed for audio use will be fine - gauge is a direct function of length. Look at cables from good audio cable brands like Audioquest, Kimber, Tributaries, Cardas to name a few we have used, for best results. I believe all have reasonably priced models in their line ups.

sbjornson Posted 12 years 19 hours ago
Thanks for the recommendations. I will think it over, but am leaning towards the Triton 3s - will post back once I've made up my mind and have everything installed.

sbjornson Posted 11 years 11 months ago
One more question on the surrounds. I have an L-shaped couch that is 34in high and sits at the back of the room off to the left. I plan to place the Triton 3s in the back corners. For the left surround, I am concerned the couch may block the sound. How far back from the couch would the Triton 3 need to be placed to ensure the sound isn't muffled (or at least limit any negative impact)? Do I need to raise it up on a stand or as it is 44in tall will that give me the clearance I need (I assume the low frequency speakers towards the bottom of the towers won't be impacted)? Thanks!

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 11 years 11 months ago
No worries - the mid-highs will not be blocked by the couch and the lows will play right through it!

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Triton Cinema Two - surround speaker options