file Dedicated Cinema Room Advice with Goldenears

• LeeStuartIrvine's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
LeeStuartIrvine Posted 2 years 8 months ago
Hi guys - looking for some advice.

I have had the original Triton Two Towers since they were released in 2010ish. I had to replace sub circuit, but now work great. I also have the 50C sat 50C center (which is probably underpowered but that was all they sold) and 2 small supersats. These have just been in my living room. I like them, although dont really listen to as much music as I thought I would so mainly use them for movies.

I am now looking at setting up a cinema room, with an acoustically transparent screen. I am debating whether to keep my Golden Ears.

I think I would need to buy the Supercenteer XL or Reference for the center, given the focus on movies and the fact that this will be a proper dedicated room. I then wonder if I should buy a another 50C to use with my current one as the surround sound rears (and if I could then use the smaller supersats as my sides in a 7.2.4 set up). I would then also look to get a superwoofer, potentially the SuperSub X or XXL (or maybe 2 Supersub X). I would then also need to add the Invisa ceiling speakers.

Questions, 1), would the above work, re having different rears (50c) than sides (supersat) (given I am trying to maximise what I currently have) and also having the 50C as a surround center rather than center speaker; and (2) should I put my subwoofer at the front or at the back? Given the tritons already have sub.

Alternatively, I would look to sell the system and get something else, perhaps move movie orientated, although do like my Goldenears and the support service I have received from them as been great, a real stand up company, which I really apprecaite. Given that while I would be keeping them to use what I have, conscious the addition of the sub and center/atmos speakers etc would actually end up costing quite a lot in any event! I also dont really see many dedicated cinema rooms with this set up.

Grateful for anyone's views!!

Lee

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 2 years 8 months ago
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Hi, LeeStuartIrvine

Welcome to the forum! First, yes keep your GoldenEar speakers! They are an exceptional sound quality value.

It's your budget, but some thoughts on your questions, First, re the center speaker, which is critical for lots of movie content, the SuperCenter Ref would be ideal. I've progressed over time from the 50C to the SC Ref, and the Ref does everything better, from dialog clarity to bass fill and musicality.

Re surround sides and rears, I would be tempted to place the 50C's as side surrounds (should work as surrounds even though normally 50's not 50C's would be used), and the smaller SuperSats as rear surrounds, as there tends to be some more content in side surround than rear surround channels.

Re subs, yes on SuperSubs! Given that the SuperSat surrounds will not provide the deeper bass sounds, I think I'd go for two SuperSub X's placed front and back, to give the T2's some front bass fill help, and also provide a bass boost for the surrounds. That would give you great bass distribution, and lots of bass slam.

And Invisa's make great height speakers.

That would be an awesome sounding system!!!

Just my thoughts...

Happy Listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

• LeeStuartIrvine's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
LeeStuartIrvine Posted 2 years 8 months ago
Great, thanks so much. I think I will go with the reference centre in that case.

Question, when buying the 50C to match the existing 50C for the surround sides, would you buy one 50 or one 50c (noting my existing speaker is 50C). I.e. would it be better to have one 50 and one 50C, or 2 50C for the sides? I assume that these would both be oriented vertically (not withstanding whether I went with 50 or 50C as second side).

In terms of Sub, we dont have a dealer for Golden Ear in Dubai anymore (as far as I am aware). It isn't that easy to get the GE speakers - I could order the Center through a shop and ship service, but would get expensive if ordered the subs as well - if I didn't go with Golden Ear subs, are there any subs that pair particularly well with the Golden Ear speakers (or should I keep the system all consistent with same brand)?

In terms of Atmos, I assume that the HTR7000 are the way to go (these are around U.S.$650) or can I get away with the Invisa 650 which are only U.S.$650? I will have two rows of cinema seats - I assume that the 7000 would be good if it was just one row, given could point them at the exact seat, but with two rows, does it lose some of that impact, such that I might as well save the additiona U.S.$1,000 on the 4 speakers. I have atmos at the moment and like it, but in reality, it doesnt seem as big as an effect for general movie watching as when you watch the demo tapes (has at least been my experience!).

Lastly does anyone have a diagram of the GE with 2 rows of seats - the diagrams on the website all show it with just one row of seats - I assume it would be fairly similar with two front height speakers would be around half way to screen and the back height speakers level/slightly behind the second listening position.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 2 years 8 months ago
Re using SuperSat 50C's for surrounds, the preferred way to mount would be horizontal, to keep the HVFR tweeters vertically aligned for best best sound distribution, as the treble range is more directional than the lower frequencies.

Re which Invisa to use for heights, each step up adds some additional clarity and impact, so it becomes a budget decision primarily.

Re sourcing GoldenEar speakers including subs with no dealer there in Dubai, it may be worth checking with GoldenEar directly to find out if they know of a dealer, or whether they offer shipping to Dubai if you ordered on their site.

Hope this helps.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Dedicated Cinema Room Advice with Goldenears