• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
rjohn79395 Posted 4 years 1 month ago
Hi

Good question.

The biggest difference between pre's and receivers is that pre's have un amped pre-outs only to connect to external amps. Receivers have both amped outs for direct connection to speakers plus un amped pre-outs if you want to instead connect to an external amp for some or all of the channels . Both have pre-puts only for sub channels.

In my case I use the pre-outs to connect to an external multi-channel amp for the fronts, center and surrounds, and use the receiver's amps for the less demanding four height channels.

So, yes, you can mix and match receivers with external amps for some or all of the channels, to take some load off the receiver's amps.

Hope this helps.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• suniluic's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 2
suniluic Posted 4 years 1 month ago
Great and through response, Rick! Thank you! Did some research on this topic and I like the suggestion of growing at my own pace.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 4 years 1 month ago
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Whether you choose T2+'s or T1.R's, you'll love the sound. ALL GoldenEar speakers are amazing, and mix together perfectly. Here's my last comment/suggestion on speaker choices:

You mentioned you are leaning toward a SuperCenter Ref. Great choice! Re fronts, I have heard most all Tritons, and owned T2's, T1's and T Ref's. I first heard the T2 way back when it was first introduced as their flagship speaker, I was blown away and bought them on the spot.

And as newer models got introduced, I was equally blown away by first the T1, then the T Ref. Each step up added dynamics, bass slam, clarity, pure listening pleasure, more goosebumps. The T1.R's have a lot of the T Ref's heritage, and would most definitely be a step above the T1's.

So, either the T2+ or the T1.R would be amazing as fronts. But, if your budget has room, I recommend the 1.R. It's Reference technology and drivers would be a perfect match with the SC Ref! And any set of gear or any future gear upgrades would sound more dynamic, detailed on the 1.R.

But whatever you choose, you'll love the sound, no bad choices.

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Newbie - Looking for advice - Triton 3,2,1R or 7000s