file Newbie - Looking for advice - Triton 3,2,1R or 7000s

• suniluic's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 2
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
suniluic Posted 4 years 1 month ago
Got introduced to Goldenear through a friend and had a chance to listen to the speakers at a local dealer. I am looking for advice on setting up my very first home theater system. Here are the options I am considering after talking to a few people.

The room size is 17.5 feet x 13 feet but the room doesn't have walls on all 3 sides as it's a media room upstairs (pic attached). Ceiling height is 9ft.

Option 1 - HTR 7000s in ceiling for LCR. 2x additionl 7000s . 4x Invisa 650s for surround and rear.

Option 2 - Really love the tower look !! Towers for LR (need opinion on 3 vs 2 vs 1R). Would 2 or 1R be an overkill? A center. 4 in-ceiling speakers and then a backwall pair of MPX (backwall is 5 ft behind the recliner above the stairs )

Trying to not break the bank. Have other questions on seperates and subs but focusing on the main audio setup for right now.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 4 years 1 month ago
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Hi, suniluic

Re option 2, (I would lean in that direction myself), no, 2's or 1.R's would not be overkill IMO. And the 1.R's, with their Reference level speakers and extra bass capability, would be awesome as fronts for either movies or music. You mentioned you'd address subs later, but the 1.R's would give you a great start on bass coverage also. A back wall SuperSub as a third sub at some point would give you bass punch in spades.

And if there's budget room also for a SuperCenter Ref to anchor the center it would give you, with the Invisa height and surround speakers you mentioned, an HT system that would be amazing. It would bring movies alive with a full, gorgeous sound stage. (Maybe you were thinking a 7000 ceiling center to go with the front towers? That would work also if you have the distance to have it present at ear height.)

Just my opinion.

Good luck with your project!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

Thank you for the response and validating some of my thinking. If I did the T2+ or 1R, would you recommend seperates for amplification vs. receiver powering everything?

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by rjohn79395. info_outline

suniluic wrote:
If I did the T2+ or 1R, would you recommend seperates for amplification vs. receiver powering everything?

I suspect you could get opinions and answers all over the lot on this question. Here's my thoughts:

In general, high quality separates would be the top rung in the equation vs receivers. BUT there's a lot of quality difference between the rungs in the model ranges for separates and receivers, and among brands. A fairly inexpensive receiver at the low end of a model lineup would not have the quality DAC, amps, transformer, electronics in general of a model near the top end. Same for separates. The sky is literally the limit, especially on separates.

In my case, unless I make major layout changes, I don't have the space for 100% separates. So I went with a good receiver. I have a Marantz SR 7010 receiver that was their top of the line AVR when I purchased it. It has a darn good DAC, toroidal transformer, and amps, and I use an external 5 channel amp that I added later, to give the system more amp "juice". Most folks drive their GoldenEar speakers with receivers, and most without external amps also.

If you go the powered Triton route, and even if you use a stand alone sub also, the Triton's bass section and the sub would be powered by the external amps, lightening the power hungry bass load on any receiver's amps. And you could add an external amp for fronts, etc. later if desired.

So you have lots of latitude and choices, within receivers, and between separates and receivers. I think most important is to pick a good brand and go as far up the model chain as you and your budget are comfortable with. It's like speakers, there IS a difference as you go up the model lines. If you purchase a good quality receiver, or separates, I think you'll be most happy with the sound quality of your great speakers. GoldenEar speakers are pretty easy to drive, and lots of different brand receivers and separates make them sound great.

Hope this helps.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
One other thought as you make your decisions on speakers and gear to feed them, receiver vs separates, etc.

It's true that great, highly resolving speakers do respond well to better feeds from gear like upgraded receivers, separates etc. So where to invest a little extra money between better speakers and better gear? IMO speakers are the rate limiters in a system, and I'd apportion any extra funds in my budget to going up a level on speakers before going up another level on great gear to feed them. You can always upgrade gear later if you have speakers that can reward the improvements.

At least that's how I've approached evolving my system over time. Better speakers first, upticks on gear later, including receivers, amps, cable upgrades. power cord improvements, whatever floats your boat as you listen, fine tune, and stay within budget goals.

Happy listening! You're gonna' love your GEt based HT!

Rick
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

Hi Rick -

Super helpful response and thoughts. Currently I am leaning towards a setup that would be:
- Towers - Triton 1R or Triton 2+ (it sucks that 1 is no longer available)
- Center - Reference
- 4x Invisa 650 for Atmos
- 2x HTR 7000s for the sorround
- Subwoofer (to be added later)

I am confused by one aspect though which is probably due to my newness. When you say you added the external 5 channel amp later, what does that mean? Isn't the Marantz 7010 an AV receiver locking you into the "receiver" method to feed your speakers?

What equipment would I need to buy if did this later? I thought you need to make the decision of receiver (SR 7010) vs. seperates (AV7705) now.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Newbie - Looking for advice - Triton 3,2,1R or 7000s