file Feedback on a 5.2.4 configuration

• denny's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 4
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
denny Posted 5 years 8 months ago
Hey all,

I'm looking at a 5.2.4 home theater setup and am looking for some feedback. The room configuration is a bit unusual. The room is 14' by 25'+, and the front/back of the home theater will be across the 14' dimension. So yes, there are sidewalls, but they are 6'+ outside the area. So, effectively no side walls. The listening area is a single couch.

What I'm currently thinking:

- Triton One or Triton Two+ for Mains
- SuperCenter XXL or SuperCenter XL for Center
- SuperSat 50 for side surrounds
- Invisa 650 for ceiling Atmos speakers

There are no side walls to mount the SuperSat 50's on, so they would be mounted on the rear wall to get them high enough for the listening area. They would also be widely separated (10-12 feet). I considered floor standing speakers for the surrounds, but they don't provide sufficient elelvation.

Questions I have:

- What do you think of using the One vs. the Two+ for Mains? Would the Two+s be sufficient?
- What do you think of using the XXL vs. the Xl for the Center? Is the XXL overkill?
- Will the SS50's be sufficient?

Any thoughts or comments people have to offer would be appreciated.

Thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 5 years 8 months ago
Hi, Denny

I think What is "sufficient" will depend on your ears and your budget.

All GEt speakers sound good. Two things: better speakers do sound better, and bass distribution plays a role.

The T2+'s as mains would be impressive speakers in your surround set up. T1's would add even more bass extension and heft. A SuperCenter XXL would not be overkill with either the T1's or T2+'s.

If you like a LOT of bass and use SuperSat 50's for surrounds with their 100-120 HZ crossovers, again great sound, but I'd be tempted to give them some bass help in back with a sub, like a SuperSub X. If I had to choose for budget reasons between T1 fronts with no sub and T2+ fronts with a SuperSub X in back, I'd probably lean toward the 2+s with a rear sub, especially if the primary use will be for home theater. Just my listening preference for bass distribution.

Any combination you named would sound great and make an impressive Atmos home theater set up!

If you can, audition the speakers you're thinking about, and decide for yourself which best suits your ears, and budget. All the choices you mentioned will give you that great GEt sound. No wrong choices there at all.

Good luck!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator

denny Posted 5 years 7 months ago
Hi Rick, thank you for your guidance.

My natural tendency is definitely to have more full range rears. My first HT was BP10s up front and BP8 in the rear (yes, I'm that old). My preference for this room would have been to do Ones up front, and Three+s or perhaps Fives for sides. The only problem is that the the height ends up being well below the Dolby recommended minimum of 5 degrees elevation. Do you think it worthwhile to give up the ear positioning for fuller range in the sides?

I have been without a home theater for several years, and want to get this one right. The budget isn't as much of a concern as others. The biggest is that I'm simply going overboard. And of course there is the wife approval factor... :)

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 5 years 7 months ago
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Hi, Denny

Good questions.

First, if you do use, say, a SuperSub X in conjunction with SuperSats as surrounds, you'll have plenty of full range sound, and deep bass, with the combination. In fact , more bass than a pair of T5's for sure, and probably more than a pair of T3+'s also (Moderator Dude can comment if that is incorrect). Lots of folks on this forum use SuperSat surrounds in conjunction with subs.

If you want to use floor standing speakers for surrounds instead, you could build small platforms to mount them on if you're concerned about having the right elevation.

Your choice, but if I wanted killer bass in the surround position and didn't want to go big time with Triton floor standers like T2+'s or above, I wouldn't hesitate about having SuperSats as speakers with SuperSub support. If you REALLY want some bass back there, consider the SuperSub XXL. It would "rock your socks". Lots of ways to do this...

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator

Hi Rick,

I would not describe myself as overly into base per se, and would like to avoid a separate sub if possible. So, I'm probably down to either the Three+ or the SS50 without subs.

Thanks again,
Denny

So, having gone to a dealer and done a little listening, followed by a consultation with my wife :) , I've decided to go with the Triton Two+ for both mains and for surrounds. Still with the XXL.

Rick, thank you again for your help!

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Feedback on a 5.2.4 configuration