file Triton 3 Phantom

• 2dflier's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 32
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
2dflier Posted 6 years 7 months ago
I listened to a pair of Triton 3 set up for phantom center channel on an Anthem MRX520 at a dealer and felt as though they did not perform nearly as well as a pair of Triton 7 in the same set up. Dialogue was weak/thin compared to opening credit music and effects. I posted this question on an AV forum and the boss suggested they may not have been set up correctly.

Question is are there any specific speaker setup recommendations when using either the Triton 3 or 7 for phantom center? Should one be an inherently better choice than the other especially in a set up with little flexibility in speaker placement?

They will have to sit either side of the entertainment center in the attached. They will be approx 9' apart or 1' from the side of the entertainment center and maximum of 1' from the rear wall. Primary seating position is 11' from either speaker once in place.

The top of a Triton 7 would be come to the middle of the TV screen and the 3 about even with the shelf immediately above the picture in the right hand cabinet.

If neither pair can be expected to, or prove unable to perform well for phantom center duty the only place I have for a large center is the bridge across the top of the entertainment center, 2' above the TV. Would a SuperCenter X set up correctly perform well sitting that far above the TV? Alternatively I could use a SuperSat50 on the shelf above the TV in front of the plant.

Thanks much.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, HTSME

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 6 years 7 months ago
All else being equal, they should perform exactly the same in regards to creating a good phantom center channel image. There is nothing about setup on one vs. the other that could affect this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 7 months ago
Hi 2dflier,
I hate to state what might be obvious, but Phantom means that you don't really have a center channel.
And there is room right there on the shelf above the TV, unless my eyes are mistaken, to put a great SC X or probably an XL, maybe even a XXL right there and angle it downwards a bit.
This will blow any other choices totally outta the water!!!!
A center channel speakers is WAY better than not having one.
and GEt makes some of the best. Go for it, you will NOT REGRET it.
Hope this helps,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Wayne - Thanks much. Yes. I should have mentioned the shelf belongs to my wife. I could put a SuperSat50 up there but the dealer I'm working with felt the center would suffer if the SS was not wall mounted. So the spot I have for a full range center is the top bridge. I just don't know if 2' above is too far.

Thanks again,
Allan

Moderator wrote: All else being equal, they should perform exactly the same in regards to creating a good phantom center channel image. There is nothing about setup on one vs. the other that could affect this.

Thank you!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 6 years 7 months ago
Hi Allen,

Do you have an older speaker lying about? If so, place it on the upper shelf and connect it as a Center. You can then experiment with angles, etc. to determine what a center speaker in that location would sound like.

If you don't have an extra speaker, ask your dealer if he can loan you a speaker for the experiment.

I agree with Wayne ... A true Center speaker will probably be a better choice if that is possible.

Best,

Art

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Triton 3 Phantom