file Help Me Decide

• SR56's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 6
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
SR56 Posted 6 years 9 months ago
I'm about to join the GoldenEar family. I've settled on the T1 towers and SCXXL. The decision for the other satellites gets a little more difficult.

The house I bought came pre-wired for ceiling surrounds with 2 in the front L/R and 3 in the rear L/R/C. These aren't canister style in-ceiling, but installed on swivel mounts screwed into the ceiling with an inexpensive Yamaha setup (also came with the house).
I'm using B&W towers on the ground and ran the Atmos/front height channels from my Yamaha RX-A2040 to the front L/R. The rear surrounds all wired as normal.

So the decision I'm trying to make is should I go with SuperSat 3 in the rear L/R surrounds and front Atmos front L/R or switch up to Invisia in-ceiling? If I go with the SS3, I'll have to bring the speaker location down to the recommended ear height on the rears. The L/R is 90 degrees to the seating area and angled down right now. The front Atmos would stay mounted to the ceiling and aimed toward the seating area since the only other option is to move them in-ceiling.

Regarding the Atmos, I've seen some manufacturers with "modules" that sit on the front towers and bounce off the ceiling. I haven't seen GoldenEar recommend any Atmos installs other than the in-ceiling option. I have to wonder if it'll be just fine as-is?

Ceiling is 8'. Room has large opening to the left to the game room and another hallway/foyer opening to the right. The rear of the room opens into the kitchen and the left shoulder side is cut down by an angled fireplace.

Pics and room diagram attached. Measurements aren't perfect, but gives an idea. Sweet spot seating area is currently 12' to center and 14' to the R/L towers.

The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 9 months ago
HI SR56 and welcome to the GEt family!!!!! You are making great decisions so far, the TOnes and the SC XXL will be a STELLAR front!!!!!
Great pics and I love the room, THAT FLAG IS AWESOME!!!!!! Is there any story behind that particular flag? Sorry if I am being nosey.

I don't know anything about ATMOS so will let the other guys answer your questions there.
BUT I do know that IF you stick with GEt speakers all around for your home theater, it will match, be singing all with one voice and sound great. I just have a 7.1 system (not counting the subs in the towers) and find it smashing, amazing, I don't have any need for ceiling speakers at all.

Have fun with it, happy listening, keep in touch here, please, God Bless
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 6 years 9 months ago
Welcome SR56, lots of good questions. I'll try to throw out some thoughts for you ...
  • - Bounce off the ceiling stuff really does not work, and will absolutely not work with a popcorn ceiling (it needs to be highly reflective to work at all)

• - The positioning of the speakers on brackets at the wall/ceiling corners are fine for SuperSat 3Cs as Atmos height channels (but I can't quite understand their relative location to the listening area through)

• - Non-height channels, whatever the model, have to be at ear level

• - The Invisa 525 or 650 are fine for height channels if you want to do in-ceiling, but we suggest them for rooms with ceiling heights of 10' and over, otherwise the Invisa HTR 7000 is suggested

Hard to tell, but it's a knockdown ceiling. Popcorn is soooo 1978. But I digress... I'm sure the acoustic effect would be the same either way. I wasn't going for the bounce Atmos, just putting it out there.

The front L/R by the ceiling was what I inherited from the previous owner. They were the L/R "mains" for his system. Definitely not what I would have done. My system has been B&W DM605s2 with the matching 600 series center and bookshelf speakers for the rears. I left the cheap-o stuff in place in the rears in anticipation of the new blood.

So it sounds like the fronts could be swapped out for the SS3 and angled to the listening area and be OK for Atmos. I don't know if not understanding the relative location to the listening area meant that you weren't sure of where the listening area was or just how they were mounted. I don't know if they should be closer together in the front? As it is, they'll likely be about 1.5' or so from the T1 inward toward the TV.

I was planning on going with 5.1.2 for now, so the rears will need to be brought down to ear height with the SS3 OR I could go with the HTR7000. I'd prefer to go the SS3 route, but I'm limited on how I can position them. The left side isn't so bad as it would just tuck into the corner by the fireplace. The right side is a little different, as I'd have a mount or a single stand over there. The head bolsters on the couch on that side are a little thick and tall, too. So I'd have to ensure that it shoots over that.

So, likely setup:

L/R Mains: T1
Center: SuperCenter XXL
L/R Atmos Front Height: SS3
L/R Rear Surround: SS3 (optional HTR7000?)

Thanks for your help!

Thank you for the welcome and the compliment. No particular story to the flag. It's a print. I saw it in a home goods store about 15 years ago or so and thought it was awesome. It's been a staple in my homes ever since.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back