file Triton 1

• hoyt's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 2
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
hoyt Posted 7 years 1 month ago
Hi, how does the Triton 1 sound at low to medium volume? I am currently using the Triton 2 and ready to upgrade. Listen mostly to jazz and new age. Thanks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 1 month ago
Hi Hoyt,
Welcome and good question.
I have Triton 2s and upgraded a while back to Ones, after several years with the T 2s. Iove the T 2s, could not bear to part with them, just moved them back in the room, they are now my surround speakers. But the Ones are better.
A good bit better, larger, fuller sound, a bit more powerful and a touch more resolving. BUT still the family sound of the GEt towers is still the same. The Ones have better bass, a big thing for me. The Ones are a touch brighter on the top, if you love cymbals, brushes, triangles, etc. you will hear them more clearly than ever with the Ones. Room or location ambiance is clearer with the Ones.
There is just more of everything with the Ones. Much the same as people are saying about the new Reference speakers, the Twos pumped up a bit.
BUT you asked about medium to lower playback levels, and that is why I said yours is a good question. Because, as you probably know, the T 2s LOVE to play LOUDLY!!!!! They really come into their own when the volume is cranked up. I have NOT experienced this same phenomenon with the Ones. Others may have, and their experience may vary, hopefully, if so they will chime in here.
I would say you have hit on one of the bigger differences to my mind, between the Twos and the Ones. The Ones sound the same played at lower to medium volumes as they do when they are played louder.
I hope this helps, IF you go with the Ones, I feel sure you will NOT regret it a second.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, rjohn79395

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 7 years 1 month ago
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by GDHAL. info_outline
Hello hoyt and welcome to the forum. Can you quantify in decibels what you mean by "low to medium volume"? Generally speaking, Triton One's sound great at all volume levels. However, I would be inclined to consider the manufacturers minimum power level spec which I believe is 20 watts. Once the volume gets too low (50 db or thereabouts), I think the T1s would prefer to be "off" :laugh:
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 7 years 1 month ago
Hi, Hoyt

Good question! I have listened to T1's in the 50-60 db range, and love the full, rich sound. Started a thread called "How do your GEt's sound at any db", or something like that. First speakers I have ever listened to that don't need to be cranked to 75+ db to sound great.

Don't get me wrong, when I want to REALLY experience a great soundtrack, I'll go to 75+ db to get the most effect of dynamics etc.. But they do not fade as they are dialed back, bass still there. Never had that experience before. They keep delivering balanced sound at most any reasonable SL, and when you want to crank them, well, WOW!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 7 years 1 month ago
Hello Hoyt,

I drive my Triton Ones with a Cambridge 851 Azur 2-channel integrated amplifier. The Cambridge is rated at 120 watts RMS per channel. I listen to jazz, classical and a bit of new age - mostly classical. I use the reference volume display option on my Cambridge, which means that I see volume settings represented as "-db" numbers (example: "-35db").

I generally listen at volume settings not louder that "-25 db", usually around "-35db" and sometimes as low as "-45 db". I am pleased with the Ones sound at any of these settings. I augment the bass by sending a line out signal from the Cambridge through a separate level controller directly to the Ones LFE inputs. I then use the level control to match the augmented bass to the music, both for varying volume levels and for differences in recordings.

I use my Ones exclusively for 2-channel music. I have a totally separate system for multi-channel sound for movies.

I believe you will be pleased with the sound from the Ones at lower volume levels.

Happy listening,

Art

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back