file Requesting pre-purchase advice for Triton Towers

• Zman's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 4
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Zman Posted 7 years 4 months ago
Hello,
Hoping some of you can provide some pre-purchase advise. First a little background. In the market for new speakers and I currently have Infinity Primus 360's for the front LR, the C25 center, and the Infinity PS8 subwoofer. Driving them with an old school Yamaha RXV992 AVR that is 80wpc (before the 2 channel driven specs came to be). I'd like to keep my avr as it still works well. Enjoy both music and movies. About 60/40 movies to music. Definitely looking for an upgrade over the current Infinities I have.

I'm planning on demoing some GE Triton speakers this weekend. I've been considering the Triton III+, II+, and possibly the 5 or 7. The II+ may be a little imposing for our area. Too tall for WAF. The room is approx 14' x 21'. Sitting about 11 feet away from speakers and tv. So the width of our room is actually 21'.

- The idea of having a built in subwoofer intrigues me. I'd love to forgo an external sub. Although we enjoy movies we don't need the likes of a big SVS or HSU sub. The little ps8 we have does the trick. I'm guessing the internal subs in the III+ and II+ would be just as good if not better?

- The speakers would be positioned on either side of a wall unit. No choice in that. So the left speakers bass radiator would be about 3" from the left side of the unit and the right speakers radiator would be about 3" from the right side of the wall unit. Right now our sub is to the left of the left speaker and to the left of the sub is the wall. No real choice to move the sub.

- If I go with the III+/II+ and no external sub I can pull them away a little further from the left side. Maybe a little more on the right as well. Now if I go with a passive such as the 7 or 5 I would think there would be a need for an external sub? or --->

- In your experience do the passive 5's or 7's require a sub for movies? My guess is yes. The external sub would be next to the left speakers bass radiator. So both radiators on left and right side of the left speaker would be close to the wall unit or external sub. Issues?

I'm sort of hoping the suggestion is for the III+ as it looks like a great speaker and as mentioned would like to drop the external sub.

Thank you for your time. I'm looking forward to taking a listen to these speakers.
Joe (Zman)
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 7 years 4 months ago
If you are satisfied with the amount of bass you currently have for both movies and music, either the Triton Fives or Sevens are excellent choices for music and movie sound. Bass is often considered non-directional, but I don't agree. So, one definite improvement over your present setup would be the more balanced bass presence with the use of any of the powered Tritons with built-in subs.

To dramatically improve your music, you might want to consider adding a dedicated 2-channel amplifier and a stand-alone DAC for music reproduction, while retaining the Yamaha AV for movies. Consider the possibility of retaining your present setup for movies and adding Tritons, DAC, and dedicated 2-channel amp for a totally separate music system.

The type of music you prefer plays a significant role in your decisions.

Consider as many options as you can, consistent with room and budget constraints.

Best,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, Rackon

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 7 years 4 months ago
Hey, Joe

Good questions! Art has provided some great advice.

My thoughts: either the T2+ or T3+ will provide more, and better balanced, bass than a single Infinity PS8 sub, and give you both great music bass, and LFE connected movie or surround music bass, letting you "retire" the external sub if that is your preference. If your budget allows, the T2+'s will give an extra SQ nudge, but either the 2 or the 3 will give you a MAJOR boost in SQ and bass presence. If you go the T5 or T7 route, then I agree that you may want sub help from your Infinity sub (which won't, in my opinion, sound as integrated/balanced as the internal subs in the powered Tritons).

You are definitely headed in the right direction! As you already have planned, listen for yourself, bring some of your favorite music and movie discs, enjoy what the Tritons do, and decide which works best for you!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth

• Timecop's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 270
Timecop Posted 7 years 4 months ago
For 2-channel music listening, I agree with ArthurDaniels - that a DAC and 2-ch amp & triton 2+ will be perfect. For home theater, I'd keep a separate sub that you can enable when movies are on, but turn it off when going music only.
Triton Two front L/R
SuperSat 50c center
Triton Seven surround L/R
SuperSat 50 surround rear L/R
AVR Arcam AVR-21
Amp Marantz mm7025
Velodyne optimum 10” sealed, back left corner
SuperSub X front-right corner

• Pbgalvin's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Lovin' GET T1s
    • Thank you received: 633
Pbgalvin Posted 7 years 4 months ago
Good advice here.
I have T1s in my HT and a sub, and I leave the sub on all the time.
I just tune the sub settings and preamp settings to have the sub receive signal at the very low end so it doesn't
step on the T1s.
Good luck with the project!
2 channel -> GeT Ones.R, Rogue RP-7 pre, Kinki Studio B7 Monoblock amps fed by Oppo 105D, SonicTransport, OpticalRendu w/ 200,000 tracks, Rega RP8 w/ Garrott OPTIM S3 FGS Ruby + Sutherland 20/20 phono pre, PS Audio Powerplant 20
HT -> Marantz 7703, Butler Audio T5150 amp, GeT Ref mains

• Zman's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 4
Zman Posted 7 years 4 months ago
Thank you so much for your advice and suggestions!
I plan on listening to the III+ this weekend and I'm going to see if they have any of the passive Tritons as well.

I'm sure I will have more questions as I move forward after the demo. Hope you don't mind :)

As for the DAC part, I "think" I have that covered. I use a Cambridge Audio CXN as my musical source connected via analog. Although it sounded pretty close when I connected via digital toslink. I agree that I could use some more oomph in the power. In the future I plan on looking at more powerful AVR or an integrated with home theater bypass.

Joe (Zman)

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Requesting pre-purchase advice for Triton Towers