file Triton 2+ as Surrounds?

• mjharden's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 8
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
mjharden Posted 7 years 6 months ago
We're in the process of completing our media room for a 5.1 Atmos system. I had planned on 2 Triton Ones up front with a SCXXL, Triton Two+'s as surrounds, and 4 HTR7000's for the Atmos channels.

Has anyone used T2's as surrounds? Is this overkill? Would the experience be lessened by using say Supersats?

Thanks,

Matt
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 7 years 6 months ago
GoldenEar did, at a trade show demo a few years back, it was spectacular. I believe some forum members do so as well and will probably chime in. Overkill is in the eye/ear/budget of the beholder. :)

Yeah, I heard that the Atmos demo at CES was pretty amazing. I guess I'm just trying to figure out if the extra Benjamins would really be worth it. Budget really isn't the issue...I don't mind spending the money if there's a notable sonic improvement.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 7 years 6 months ago
Hi, Matt

The set-up you're thinking about is pretty close to what I have, except my surrounds are T2's, not the newer 2+'s, and my height channels are HTR 7000's for top fronts, Invisa 525's for top rears (I already had a pair of 525's in the ceiling when the newer 7000's were introduced... long story).

Is it overkill? Not as far as I am concerned!!! AWESOME is how I describe it. Full range, rich sound front and back. Bass, well breastbone shaking, clean... height channels to raise the sound envelope even more. And when action movies or surround music Blu-rays present OOMPH in surround, well OOMPH in spades is what you get!! Total immersion in rich, glorious sound. I've never looked back. I just love that set-up!!!!!

And the newer T2+'s for surrounds, FOUR HTR 7000's for heights..... would make a couple steps further into sound nirvana.

Did I happen to mention that I love that set-up??? :P

Good luck, and happy listening! There aren't any bad or wrong choices with GEt speakers. It just depends on "what floats your boat" best.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, anthem, mjharden, T Cobe

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your response...that was really helpful.

I was curious if the bass got lost from the t2's since they won't be close to a wall? My setup puts the sectional and surrounds out in the open room (I've got LFE floor jacks under the sectional). Are your t2's in the open?

Thanks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 7 years 6 months ago
Hey, Matt

My T2's are 29" in from the back wall, actually more like a rear surround position, but you have to do what you have to do with the constraints of a room. I wouldn't worry too much about the bass getting lost. You could adjust the T2+s to taste for music with the bass controls on the T2's, and since you've got LFE lead capability for the surrounds, you can adjust LFE bass to taste with the gain controls in the receiver. You may need a TAD more LFE gain with the T2+'s in the open, but those rascals have plenty of reserve power. IMO you can get all the bass you want from them wherever they're placed.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, mjharden, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Triton 2+ as Surrounds?