file Aon 3/SupercenterXL/and ???? (newbie)

• maloyji's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 2
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
maloyji Posted 7 years 11 months ago
newbie here to the Golden Ear line up.
went by the local dealer and loved the crisp tweeters and the overall clarity of this set up.

when I purchased this setup, I thought I would be able to incorporate an older definitive technology supercube II to fill in my lows.

I have come to the conclusion that, NO, this sub does not fit my desires for music.

I come to you guys with a poll. hopefully there will be enough advice to help me with my decision.
for consistency, I know I will pick a golden ear sub setup but I am torn.

I have remodeled an old spot in a TV cabinet where at 1990s rolling TV would fit to house a flat screen above it and I could turn the lower section into a sub cabinet front and center. my dilemma here is to choose between a single SuperSubXXL or two ForceField5 woofer.

by my measurements. the two FF5 will fit in the same space and front fire, versus the SSXXL having to side fire.

please help me out here....
hoping someone has good input on the set up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 7 years 11 months ago
Hi, Maloyji

Welcome! You are absolutely right, adding GEt sub(s) will greatly increase the musicality of your system. GEt speakers just plain play and blend together perfectly! And yes, the bass from any GEt speaker is clean, detailed, musical.

HMMM. Two FF5's or one SSXXL in a sub cabinet. Any chance you could locate one sub in another location, preferably toward the rear of the room? If so, my vote would be for two FF5's, for optimum bass dispersion, one in the cabinet and one in the rear.

I'll let others weigh in on the relative advantages of two forward firing FF5's vs. one, two-side firing SSXXL when placed in a cabinet (though both also have passive radiators, one for the FF5 and two for the SSXXL). My inclination, if two FF5's becomes your choice, would be to locate one of them outside the cabinet.

Good luck and happy listening! You're heading in the right direction. Converting to GEt subs will DEFINITELY upgrade your music experience!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 7 years 11 months ago
Maloyji,

Congrats on the new gear and welcome to the forum! I had this same front 3 channel setup for a bit and it sounded great. You're definitely on the right track in upgrading your subs. Until your new sub arrives, you may want to try a few tuning variations on your older sub to allow for better integration. Lowering your gain and/or crossover frequency to 80 Hz may offer better integration. I added an older sub this way and it works better with a lower crossover frequency.

I think we have recently heard that placing a sub inside a cabinet can be problematic. In addition to Rick's advice, I'd recommend borrowing a sub from your local GET dealer to test the positioning to ensure it will work as desired. It's possible that placement inside the cabinet may not work for you at all. That is a lot of energy to try and fit into a small space. Even with the front firing FF5s, there is the passive bass radiator to contend with.

If you can get your dealer to let you borrow one for testing, you should be able to figure out pretty quickly if this would be viable. In terms of sheer output, the SSXXL may output more bass; however, the typical recommendation is that 2 subs are better than one for dispersion. If you'd be placing them side by side, this benefit would be minimized, if not negated. Properly setup, I'd guess that a single FF5 or SSXXL would be sufficient for your needs if you are to remain shamed into hiding your subwoofer(s). ;)

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 7 years 11 months ago

T Cobe wrote: In terms of sheer output, the SSXXL may output more bass; however, the typical recommendation is that 2 subs are better than one for dispersion. If you'd be placing them side by side, this benefit would be minimized, if not negated.

All good advice - couple things to consider here:

1) The SuperSubs (either) have more output, especially at the lowest frequencies, than the ForceField 5

2) Multiple subs is always better, but it has to do with minimizing room nodes and creating smoother in-room bass (no dispersion issue as bass is omnidirectional below 80Hz)

3) The lack of cabinet vibration in the superSubs could be a significant issue if the sub is to go into a cabinet (and yes, you are correct, this is almost always problematic, no matter what sub).
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 7 years 11 months ago
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Thanks, Moderator Dude, for correcting my use of the term "optimum bass dispersion" in describing the benefit of 2 (multiple) subs/locations. I like your more accurate description, "smoother in-room bass", better!

Happy lstening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Aon 3/SupercenterXL/and ???? (newbie)