exclamation-circle HELP picking Invisia System speakers for basement

• Steve Blentlinger's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 14
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Steve Blentlinger Posted 7 years 11 months ago
Hello Goldenear Audiophiles!

I am new to this forum and Goldenear but thank you in advance for everyone that contributes! I have a friend that has highly recommended GE and I have heard his setup (Triton Ones with SuperCenter plus MPX and 625s for height in a 13.2.4 setup with 100" projection). Needless to say, it is amazing and I am sold on GE. So now, I need help choosing the right speakers for my setup.

I have attached floor plans and current progress photos. All my walls/ceilings are full of Ruxol insulation and 2 layers of 1/2" drywall on the ceiling. Theater areas is about 16’ deep by 14’ wide with seating area 8’ wide offset to the right so I can miss the ducts (wet bar also goes in the space on the left by the stair)
All my in ceiling wiring is pulled for 5.1.4 and zone 2. I have an L shaped basement with the stair in the inside of the elbow of the L, the bottom area for HT/bar and the long leg with Zone 2 where I have (4) in ceiling speakers and (2) TVs.

Equipment:
Already secured Marantz 7010 9.2 receiver as I got an amazing deal to get it at cost.
75" Sony Sony XBR75X850D 4K TV with Android OS or Samsung TV - open to suggestions for anyone that knows TVs - $2,500-$3,500 range to spend
(2) 40-50" TVs for zone 2 - also open to this - likely will match brand/style but looking for low profile LED as these are not recessed in wall like main TV - Sony kdl48w650d 48" ultra slim 1080p LED TV with Apps or similar.
Here is what I am considering:

Option 1. 5.1.2 (buried the rear Atmos but I have the wires there to expand in the future)
  • Marantz powering Zone 2 as well – (Future expansion for 5.1.4 with external amp)
  • (2) MPX for L/R
  • Supercenter X center (I have a media cabinet directly under the TV - see photos)
  • (2) 525 or 625 Atmos heights
  • (2) HTR-7000 for rears
  • FF 3 but also been looking at SVS PB1000 - Would love to fit a Supersub XL or FF5

Option 2 5.1.4
  • Marantz powering Zone 1 only - pre-amp outs to Zone 2 - considering Yamaha R-S202BL or something similar - Maybe SONOS Connect Amp. GE dealer recommended ZoneMaster Model 250 Universal 2 Channel 4 Speaker & Sub Amplifier – Anyone use one of these before?
  • Rest the same setup save for (4) 525 or 625 Atmos heights ILO 2
My limitations are three fold –
  1. Due to ductwork, the theater is offset to the right.
  2. I have a somewhat limited budget. I have a dealer that I can get 15% off MSRP but max spend on speakers is $3,500 to $4,000 including zone 2 and sub.
  3. The wife is demanding in walls or hidden speakers – I compromised to get a HT at all so I can't go crazy... yet.

So here are my questions.
  1. Should I be using in wall speakers for fronts? I have 5' behind the TV location so I could even recess towers or bookshelves with an acoustical pass through. I can’t really afford Tritons right now, but maybe future?
  2. If In wall is best, should I be using MPX for LR fronts? May be tough to do HTR 7000s in the ceiling and I don’t think those work in wall (right??) www.avsforum.com/goldenear-ultimate-invi...s-system-experience/ this post made me question this
  3. Are 525/625 the right choice for in ceiling so should I upgrade to HTR-7000 for any reason?
  4. My GE Dealer recommended ES-300-IC-6 Episode® 300 Series – anyone use these? Are they any good? If I go GE, would 525 do okay?
  5. How much will a sub choice matter? Mostly doing TV/Movies with some music. FF3 concerns me with being too small for the space
  6. I built a recessed box (the hole in bottom left of close up) so I can put the sub behind the wall and have a 16’x16” grill to pass through sound. Is this a good idea? Will it make my sub sound bad/directional? Should I build my owner sub? I have an older Infinity Kappa 12” from my old car stereo but is that too hard/ (crazy) to do? Don’t mind DIY projects and it may be fun but for cost of FF3, would I be better off just doing that instead?
Marantz SR7010 running 5.1.4 w/ 2 zones
SuperCenter XL
(2) SuperSat 50
(6) Invisa 650 Heights & Rears
ForceField 5 sub
75” Sony XBR75X850D
Control4 EA1 w/ Amazon Echo Dot
Zone 2:
(2) 48" Sony kdl48w650d
(2) pair ES-300-IC-6 Episode
ZoneMaster Model 250
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 7 years 11 months ago
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline

Steve Blentlinger wrote: Hello Goldenear Audiophiles!

I am new to this forum and Goldenear but thank you in advance for everyone that contributes! I have a friend that has highly recommended GE and I have heard his setup (Triton Ones with SuperCenter plus MPX and 625s for height in a 13.2.4 setup with 100" projection). Needless to say, it is amazing and I am sold on GE. So now, I need help choosing the right speakers for my setup.

I have attached floor plans and current progress photos. All my walls/ceilings are full of Ruxol insulation and 2 layers of 1/2" drywall on the ceiling. Theater areas is about 16’ deep by 14’ wide with seating area 8’ wide offset to the right so I can miss the ducts (wet bar also goes in the space on the left by the stair)
All my in ceiling wiring is pulled for 5.1.4 and zone 2. I have an L shaped basement with the stair in the inside of the elbow of the L, the bottom area for HT/bar and the long leg with Zone 2 where I have (4) in ceiling speakers and (2) TVs.

Equipment:
Already secured Marantz 7010 9.2 receiver as I got an amazing deal to get it at cost.
75" Sony Sony XBR75X850D 4K TV with Android OS or Samsung TV - open to suggestions for anyone that knows TVs - $2,500-$3,500 range to spend
(2) 40-50" TVs for zone 2 - also open to this - likely will match brand/style but looking for low profile LED as these are not recessed in wall like main TV - Sony kdl48w650d 48" ultra slim 1080p LED TV with Apps or similar.
Here is what I am considering:

Option 1. 5.1.2 (buried the rear Atmos but I have the wires there to expand in the future)

• Marantz powering Zone 2 as well – (Future expansion for 5.1.4 with external amp)
  • (2) MPX for L/R
  • Supercenter X center (I have a media cabinet directly under the TV - see photos)
  • (2) 525 or 625 Atmos heights
  • (2) HTR-7000 for rears
  • FF 3 but also been looking at SVS PB1000 - Would love to fit a Supersub XL or FF5

Option 2 5.1.4
  • Marantz powering Zone 1 only - pre-amp outs to Zone 2 - considering Yamaha R-S202BL or something similar - Maybe SONOS Connect Amp. GE dealer recommended ZoneMaster Model 250 Universal 2 Channel 4 Speaker & Sub Amplifier – Anyone use one of these before?
  • Rest the same setup save for (4) 525 or 625 Atmos heights ILO 2
My limitations are three fold –
  1. Due to ductwork, the theater is offset to the right.
  2. I have a somewhat limited budget. I have a dealer that I can get 15% off MSRP but max spend on speakers is $3,500 to $4,000 including zone 2 and sub.
  3. The wife is demanding in walls or hidden speakers – I compromised to get a HT at all so I can't go crazy... yet.

So here are my questions.
  1. Should I be using in wall speakers for fronts? I have 5' behind the TV location so I could even recess towers or bookshelves with an acoustical pass through. I can’t really afford Tritons right now, but maybe future?
  2. If In wall is best, should I be using MPX for LR fronts? May be tough to do HTR 7000s in the ceiling and I don’t think those work in wall (right??) www.avsforum.com/goldenear-ultimate-invi...s-system-experience/ this post made me question this
  3. Are 525/625 the right choice for in ceiling so should I upgrade to HTR-7000 for any reason?
  4. My GE Dealer recommended ES-300-IC-6 Episode® 300 Series – anyone use these? Are they any good? If I go GE, would 525 do okay?
  5. How much will a sub choice matter? Mostly doing TV/Movies with some music. FF3 concerns me with being too small for the space
  6. I built a recessed box (the hole in bottom left of close up) so I can put the sub behind the wall and have a 16’x16” grill to pass through sound. Is this a good idea? Will it make my sub sound bad/directional? Should I build my owner sub? I have an older Infinity Kappa 12” from my old car stereo but is that too hard/ (crazy) to do? Don’t mind DIY projects and it may be fun but for cost of FF3, would I be better off just doing that instead?

Hi, Steve

You have asked lots of great questions! And probably Moderator Dude will have to "fill in" some answers/suggestions.

Here's my take on some of your questions:

Re 5.1.2 vs. 5.1.4 ATMOS options, I am currently in the process of adding the second pair of channels to my 5.1.2 system (also anchored by a Marantz SR7010). I would lean toward 5.1.4. While I like ANY input from height channels, I find that I'm wanting some more input from heights than 2 channels provides. Your choice. And yes, I will be adding an external amp to power the 10th and 11th channels.

Re sub choices, I am a BIG fan of all GEt speakers. The way they blend together is for me priceless. I'd suggest auditioning a GEt sub in your price range. Re putting a sub in an enclosure behind a wall, I'll leave that to Moderator Dude, but definitely an issue. Re building one vs. choosing a GEt sub, I sure wouldn't want to match MY sub speaker design knowledge vs. GEt's!

Re what to use for ceiling (ATMOS?) speakers: I have Invisa 525's in 4 ceiling speakers (2 are for Zone 2 music in the kitchen area, 2 are in the top middle height position for 5.1.2), I have yet to hear an Invisa speaker I didn't love. My choice for the the 2 added ATMOS channels, to complement the 2 525's already in the "height duty", are the HTR7000's. Your choice. They all work and blend in. Audition some if you can. The 7000's are, for me, just some richer in the mid range. But all sound great.

Re MDX's in-wall vs. HTR7000's in-ceiling for front duty, placement options'/obstacles sound like they play a role, but I'll leave that to Moderator Dude and others to comment. It sounds like in-wall MDX's would be the easiest to place. I doubt you'll be disappointed with that option. HTR 7000's for rears if that's most feasible sounds like a great option

Whatever combination of GEt's you decide upon, you will be amazed at the coherent, gorgeous sound field you have created! You won't go wrong with any GEt combo you choose. They ALL play together perfectly! Audition what you can beforehand. It's your ears that matter. I've heard most every speaker GEt makes, and they ALL blend together.

Good luck and happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe, Steve Blentlinger

Rick,

Thank you for the detailed response.

Everyone seems to agree that 5.1.4 is better than 5.1.2. I figure I would do like you and add it later anyways, so I might as well just jump on it now.

Your point of my sub design vs GEt is perfect, put that question to bed for me. I think my mind is made up there, it is just FF4 vs FF5. SVS seems to have a great option too. I'll probably do a FF4 for now and can always upgrade or add a second sub with the Marantz in the future. I have heard someone with GEt FF5 behind the wall with a large cut out. It sounds pretty amazing still but he does have a pair Triton 5s up front helping out! I figure I can try it both ways and can always change the sub location very easily.

I'm interested in your choice of 525 vs 650 for height speakers. You seem happy with that decision? Any particular reason you went with these over the 650s? Doing 525 vs 650 could save me a couple hundred and justify the expense of that add.

Another update (Option 3 we will call it)
I visited my local dealer today. He was a bit indifferent on MPXs. I know lots of reviews did HTR-7000 as fronts with rave reviews. My friend installed an MPX as a center then took it back for a SuperSat 60 as he wasn't satisfied with the MPX and claimed a significant improvement. I heard the T1s and T5s with a FF5 again today. They are just so good. I am strongly considering the T7s ILO the MPX in walls (probably can get WAF on that). A similar option as a middle of the road may be doing Aon 3s (since they are the same price as MPX). I could probably even through them as wall mount or even cut out a shelf/box and put them behind the wall if I had to. The T7s seem like the best option at a reasonable price.

I also nearly settled on Supercenter XL vs the X. It seems to be much better reviewed. Of course, it isn't simple and I may go with a SuperSat 60 since I can wall mount that and avoid the concerns that a XL will get too muffled in the open cubbie I built below the TV. The Marantz may sit side by side with the SuperCenter XL too, which would probably address that concern. Given the same price, I am interested in anyone' experience with Supercenter XL vs SuperSat 60.
SuperCenter XL
(2) SuperSat 50
ForceField 5 sub
75” Sony XBR75X850D
Zone 2:
(2) 48" Sony kdl48w650d
ZoneMaster Model 250
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 7 years 11 months ago
Steve,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the great space! That looks like it will be a great home theater with plenty of seating to share the experience with friends and family. I can't wait to see the final product!

Rick has covered more than I can regarding the height speakers but I can add a bit with the L/C/R debate. I'd highly recommend the T7s and SCXL! They sound extremely close to each other and will give you a great front sound stage. IMO, the SSAT speakers are great, but I prefer the fuller sound of the SuperCenters.

Regarding the subs, I would consider adding one towards the center or back of the room as well. The FF subs are small enough that you should be able to hide them behind or under furniture. Since you will have a big space and are not using powered towers, I'd suggest going for the FF5. One up front is a great place to start, but I would most certainly want to add a second for a little better dispersion and a bit more pressurization.

If you run all the wires, you can start with a few speakers and add on as you go when money becomes more available. I had to go slow in putting everything together in my system and am still in the process. My preference is to go big the first time and prevent regrets and redoing things. I started with a SCXL and a pair of Aon 3s. It took me a while to save up for a par of Triton Ones, but I have never regretted the decision. You may want to consider starting with a SCXXL and a pair of T5s and building from there. Just a thought. If you run all the wires, adding additional speakers later will be easy. I now use my Aon 3s as surround speakers and have them wall mounted. They are great speakers but would be a bit challenged to fill that large space with sound.

These are all just my opinions. Ultimately, you need to do what works best for you. GET offers a wide variety of speakers with solutions for just about every need. They also do an amazing job matching the sound from speaker to speaker, making it very easy to mix and match models while still achieving a very cohesive sound. Listen to as many options as you can and decide what works best for you. PLEASE keep us posted and update us with additional pictures as you go!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, Steve Blentlinger

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 7 years 11 months ago

Steve Blentlinger wrote: Rick,

I'm interested in your choice of 525 vs 650 for height speakers. You seem happy with that decision? Any particular reason you went with these over the 650s? Doing 525 vs 650 could save me a couple hundred and justify the expense of that add.

Hey, Steve

In my original set-up, the 525's in the 5.1.2 set-up that are now height channels were then the surrounds. When I auditioned them back then, I was very impressed with the richness of the sound, and how deep they could go in the bass area. I've never looked back at that decision, or felt that I was missing something. Nothing beats listening for yourself, but I doubt you'd be disappointed with any choice you make regarding Invisa speakers.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe, Steve Blentlinger

Update.

So I tried to get the Triton Sevens by the wife... WAF denied!

So I have settled on the following. I was really nervous about the MPX and I haven't seen any raving reviews and based on some experiences from others that I know, I went a different route.
Here is the final plan. I placed the order but if anyone has any additional feedback it is more than welcome!
  • Marantz SR7010 9.2 Channel Full 4K Ultra HD AV Surround Receiver with Bluetooth & Wi-Fi
  • SuperCenter XL benefits from dual 6-3/4˝ x 8˝ quadratic planar low frequency radiators,
  • Fronts (2) SuperSat 50 - 27” long, 2.5”-deep speaker with two 4.5” cast basket bass/midrange drivers with Multi-Vaned Phase Plug (MVPP) configured in a D’Appolito array, surrounding the High-Velocity Folded Ribbon tweeter. Two 4”x 7” quadratic planar low-frequency radiators complete the driver complement.
  • Atmos Heights (4) Invisa 650 GoldenEar Invisa 650 In-Wall / In-ceiling Speaker
  • Rear Channel In-ceiling speakers (2) Invisa 650 GoldenEar Invisa 650 In-ceiling Speaker
  • - Gives me the option to upgrade to Invisa HTR 7000 GoldenEar Invisa HTR 7000 In ceiling FocusField Speaker if I am not happy with 650s.
  • Goldenear ForceFlex5 - Long-throw 12" subwoofer (which incorporates a huge high gauss magnet structure) driven by a GoldenEar-designed DSP-controlled 1500-Watt digital amplifier and pressure coupled to a downward-firing 12-3/4" x 14-1/2" quadratic planar infrasonic radiator.
  • 75” TV Smart LED TV Sony XBR75X850D 4K TV with Android OS
Zone 2
  • TV 2 and TV 3 - Sony kdl48w650d 48" ultra slim 1080p LED TV with Apps 2 470.00 940.00T
  • Zone 2 speakers – (2) pair ES-300-IC-6 Episode® 300 Series In-Ceiling Speakers w/ 6-1/2 in. Woofers
  • Zone 2 - ZoneMaster 250 ZoneMaster Model 250 Universal 2 Channel 4 Speaker & Sub Amplifier
  • Universal Remote / Lighting control – Control4 EA1
  • - Phillips Hue lighting systems to set up a couple of lighting scenes
  • - Considering Lutron Casteo Insteon.com is another interesting option.
  • - Plan to add amazon Echo (Dot maybe) to provide Alexia Voice control of the system!

I plan to recess the SuperSat 50s in a cove similar to the TV so it is all flush with wall when you walk by. That gives me the option to easily upgrade to a screen and projector in the future too :cheer:

I will post pictures of install progress and final install if anyone is interested. I am super excited to join the GEt audiophile club soon!
SuperCenter XL
(2) SuperSat 50
ForceField 5 sub
75” Sony XBR75X850D
Zone 2:
(2) 48" Sony kdl48w650d
ZoneMaster Model 250
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice HELP picking Invisia System speakers for basement