file Amp experience with Triton 1 or 2s...

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
anthem Posted 8 years 7 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by anthem. info_outline
TCOBE...just wondering, with just an Oppo 105 and an Amp, what are the features that I would be missing? My Zen Torii MK4 and Oppo 105 give up nothing.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 7 months ago
Anthem,

Your not giving up anything in terms of sound quality, just features. Things like balanced inputs and outputs, an adjustable mm/mc phono stage, home theater bypass, multiple source switching, and other connectivity features. If Paul wants to have the flexibility for multi-channel, I'm not sure how the Tori and a 105 accomplish that.

You and I have kind of done the same thing in our setups; we both have a surround setup and a separate 2-channel setup. We just went about it differently. If Paul wants flexibility to expand to multichannel, an integrated amp or pre-amp with home theater bypass may be a better option. If he just wants a stereo setup and has the funds, your setup would be great! I'd love to hear my T1s on the Decware amp. I certainly wasn't slighting anyone else's setup, just emphasizing Emotiva's value. There are many ways to build a system and there is no right or wrong.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 7 months ago
Re T1's and T2's. I have both in my system, with the T2's originally as the fronts...both have the clean, rich GEt sound, and frankly, if the T1's hadn't come along after I had purchased the T2's, I'd still be happily listening to T2 fronts. What's different between them...well, I haven't heard the new T2+'s, which have moved even closer to the T1's, but the T1's just take the sound beauty some steps further, a little cleaner, clearer, and bass moves up a significant notch or two also, kind of like a ForceField 5 and maybe a little more came along for the ride.

I still love the T2's, I couldn't part with them when I got the T1's, so they became fantastic surrounds, and blend completely seamlessly with the T1's.

I totally agree with T Cobe, it's best to listen for yourself. I've never looked back from having purchased the T2's, or the T1's. Outstanding speakers in either case. You wouldn't go wrong with either. Lots of folks on this forum owning one or the other or both, and loving them.

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, T Cobe

• imahawki's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 578
imahawki Posted 8 years 7 months ago
Looking at the OP there are several really good amp options on that list. I'd put the Primaluna, Ayre, Parasound, Rogue, and Zen at the top of that list in no particular order. I know this is going to go over like a fart in a space suit on this forum but I think Emotiva is vastly overrated. They are affordable but I think you're getting exactly what you pay for, not some magical . My very good friends (one of which is an engineer in the audio industry and another has a system that cost more than my house) both agree that Emotiva amps are among the noisiest amps they've heard. Not talking about hum or hiss but the ability of an amp to present the music over a black background. I just think they're kind of a good watt per $ option but not necessarily the best qualitative value.

The Zen stuff is very good from what I've heard. The Primaluna is also very well respected. They're pre-amp is high on my list. Ayre and Parasound have a good high-end mainstream reputation. Parasound makes some great A/B amps that bias towards class A at lower wattage. I know Sandy has used Rogue gear at shows so that's a damn fine endorsement there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 7 months ago
Imahawki,

No, I'm not going to condemn your response but I would like to ask if you've listened to Emotiva personally or if you're simply repeating what your friends have stated. I have not found Emotiva amps noisy at all. My background is pretty darn quiet. It's even better now with my Anthem AVM 60. In my recent home theater demo with Anthem amplifiers, I can tell you that my 7-channels of amplification sound better. The noises I was previously experiencing with my Integra and RCA cables are completely gone with the Anthem processor and balanced connections. I'm sure some of that has to do with setup and proper tuning but the fact that the amps are that close speaks volumes.

This is and will hopefully remain a safe place to share opinions. I appreciate your feedback and knowledge. I would encourage you to audition a good system with Emotiva gear and form your own opinions. I've yet to hear you describe your experience with Emotiva. I will disagree with your statement that Emotiva is over rated. I feel they are actually under rated due to their low cost. There is a ridiculous tendency in this hobby to worship the ultra expensive gear and turn our noses at the less expensive. I feel Emotiva would get a lot more respect if they simply tripled their price and made no other changes.

Anyways, thank you for contributing to the discussion. I'm curious to hear how your audition with the AVM 60 goes. I think you will be impressed.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• imahawki's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 578
imahawki Posted 8 years 7 months ago
I briefly owned an Emotiva stereo amp and one of their DACs and was not impressed. I'll counter your claim that Emotiva is hindered because of its cost. I'm the exact opposite of a gear snob. And in fact, as I frequent (and even run my own) audio forums, I've definitely observed that there is a tendency to crown the low cost gear as awesome products that punch way above its weight class but is poo pooed do to audiophile snobbery. I believe Emotiva is a low cost leader more than anything else. They're stuff is OK.

I've been burned a few times buying similar products in different space because people on forums said it was as good as products costing x times as much. I once bought a pair of $100 Pioneer headphones that Head-Fi.com was all a twitter about as they were allegedly the poor mans Sennheiser HD-600. I bought a pair and guess what. They were poorly made, uncomfortable, and sounded about like a $100 pair of headphones.

I will admit to some negative bias as I find their fanbase on AVS to be beyond intolerable. But I have heard the equipment, I'm not solely going off hearsay. AVS is awash of people who DO have problems with Emotiva gear being SHOUTED DOWN and frankly abused by the owner community there.

I've also owned Parasound but have never owned any of the other brands that were discussed.

I also fully agree that you need to listen for yourself but if you get advice from people you know and trust and who you have established say a common taste in gear, ignoring that and saying, well I have to buy it to know, is folly to me.

To the OP, absolutely try Emotiva if it seems to tick all the right boxes.

I really don't want to hijack this thread into an Emotiva debate. My OPINION is, there are at least 3-4 brands on the OPs list that are significantly better than Emotiva. If he wants the cheapest option, Emotiva is almost certainly it. Maybe one of the lower powered Parasound amps is in the same price range but most of the other options are up the price chain a bit. If he had mentioned NO other brands, I would not have offered my two cents on Emotiva.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Amp experience with Triton 1 or 2s...