file Amp experience with Triton 1 or 2s...

• paulys55's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 4
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
paulys55 Posted 8 years 7 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by paulys55. info_outline
About to pull the trigger on a pair of Triton 1s or 2s and looking for advice or input from anyone with experience with the following list of components. Will primarily be for 2 channel music but would not mind leaving the door open to multichannel. I listen to all types of music...classic rock, jazz, blues, folk, and classical as well as a lot of live concert recordings when done well. My current listening room is my sunken living room (carpeted) which is 14' wide x 17' long x 10' high and the left side of the room is open into the dining room and kitchen (I realize, not ideal). Any thoughts/experience with this list or possible alternatives would be greatly appreciated. Would like to keep budget under $5000

LSA Statement (used), Accuphase E-450 (used), Luxman L-550AX (used), VAC Avatar SE, Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP, Ayre AX-7e, Zen Torii mk4, Parasound Halo, Rogue Cronus Magnum 2, Emotiva?

Thanks,

Paul
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 7 months ago
Paul,

Welcome to the forum! If you do a search on the forum for the gear you've listed, you should find some of what you're looking for. I have listened to many amps with GET gear and there are a lot of great options out there. Since you have a large space and want to be flexible for multi-channel, I'd recommend something with some juice and that is neutral.

There are some good integrated amps with home theater bypass and that may be a good place to start. If you have the ability, an in-person demo of as many products as you can would be your best bet to narrow down your preference. If your operating on a set budget and want to buy soon, I'd recommend the Triton Ones. If you can wait, the Triton Two+ may be a good way to go and save some money. I'd put the majority of your budget into the speakers. Parasound, Anthem, and Hegel make some great integrated amps and I believe they all have home theater bypass.

Regarding Emotiva, I have a 5-channel amp, 2 monoblocks amps, a pre-amp, and a CD player. All in, about $2,200 and aI would challenge anyone to find a better sounding setup with similar capabilities for anywhere near that amount! For a simple 2-channel setup, an Oppo 105 with an amp would be great but there would be a lot of missing features. Are there better options out there? Absolutely, but Emotiva, like GET, presents tremendous value. Just my .02.

Again, sample as many as you can and pick what sounds best. Buy the best speakers you can afford and consider future options in your execution. Good luck and happy hunting!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 8 years 7 months ago
I only have Amp and T1 experience with an M6si

www.goldenear.com/forum/Triton-Towers/32...0i-for-my-triton-1-s

I do have experience with Emotiva equipment and would recommend them as a brand as well. But I'm not sure T Cobe's pricing is correct for all those pieces combined. From a value perspective absolutely go with them, but if I recall their top of the line Amp and preamp is 2.2K, no other equipment. Check Emotivas website.
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by T Cobe. info_outline
Just a quick follow up. My approximate prices, including sales and discounts, were:

XSP-1- $850
XPA-1L- $450 ea. ($900 total)
ERC-3- $399

All of these models are not available right now but there are sales on what they do have left. They are about to switch over product lines. I believe they still have XPA-2s and XPA-100s for amps. I'm not pushing this option, just sharing my experience. I would definitely get out and do some auditions before purchasing anything.

Cheers,

T Cobe

P.S. Right now an XSP-1 pre-amp and XPA-2 amp would run about $1,700. Add a turntable or CD player of your choosing...
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze

• paulys55's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 4
paulys55 Posted 8 years 7 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by paulys55. info_outline
Thanks for the replies. Definitely would love the 1s but it's a big price jump for me. Can anyone with experience with the 1s and 2s highlight the biggest differences? Oppo 105D is definitely on my shopping list. I really liked the sound of the Primaluna integrateds (and tube sound in general) though it was not through Tritons. Anyone here have them in their system?
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Paul,

There are so many reviews out there. You can find descriptions of the sound all day. Best to go and listen for yourself. I didn't want to spend that much either but one listen and I was hooked.

Cheers,

T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Amp experience with Triton 1 or 2s...