file Receiver Suggestions

• jthonen's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 4
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
jthonen Posted 9 years 6 months ago
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by jthonen. info_outline
Dear GET Forum,

Newbie poster here and was hoping to get some feedback from the forum. I'm pretty much set on the following 5.1 setup. Haven't pulled the trigger yet but am getting close to.

Fronts - TT7s (though maybe, just maybe the TT5s)
Center - XL
Surrounds - SS3s
Sub - FF5

However, I've got no idea on the right receiver. I'm considering Marantz, Denon, and NAD. I'd like to stay at or under $1000 for a receiver. Any suggestions on which model would work best? Thanks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 9 years 6 months ago
The Wirecutter
The best-sounding receiver
Onkyo TX-NR636
The Onkyo TX-NR636 is relatively future-proof and was the best-sounding receiver we listened to. It has WiFi and Bluetooth built in, tons of inputs, good streaming content, an integrated phono stage, and powerful amplifier section.
$430* on Amazon
*At the time of publishing, the price was $600.
We determined this after researching for 15 hours, surveying almost 1,000 users, and spending 30 hours listening and testing with the help of a $35,000 Audio Precision APx582 multichannel audio analyzer. This receiver has integrated WiFi and Bluetooth, tons of inputs, good streaming content, an integrated phono stage, and a powerful amplifier section—a combination of features that’s hard to find. But what really sets the TX-NR636 apart is that it’s as future-proof a receiver as you can buy today, with HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 support plus a free upgrade to the just-announced Dolby Atmos surround sound format.
The TX-NR636 is a bit expensive, but it is the cheapest product out there that has all the features most people want and that won’t be outdated in a year or two.

The runner-up
Yamaha RX-V477
For a cheaper option (or if our main pick is out of stock), the Yamaha RX-V477 is our second choice. Just be sure you can live without Bluetooth and WiFi.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 6 months ago
jthonen,

Anthem points out a couple of fine options. If $1,000 is your price point, you have a lot of options. First thing I would do is get out and listen to as many as you can before deciding. Find the sound and features you want and then find the best available price.

A couple of suggestions from me would include the Anthem MRX310 or a refurbished Marantz. Run a Google search and you can find a factory refurbished SR7008 for less than $1,000. Sound and vision has this model as a top pick in the less than $2,000 price range! Not a bad value. Refurbished by the company and with a warranty. Local dealers can often do the same with refurbished or B-stock items.

Whatever you decide on, I strongly suggest getting out and listening first hand. Your GoldenEar dealer should have some good options. Both of them in my area are great! Good luck and please keep us posted. You've got a great plan laid out!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem

• Tetrall's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 69
Tetrall Posted 9 years 6 months ago
Hey wanted to weigh in since Onkyos were suggested and I have the 838.

I really like mine so far as they seem pretty neutral to me across all the listening bandwidth.

I do NOT like Audyssey, a lot of people are huge fans but I find it makes a "bright" sound that my ears don't like, Onkyos. ACCU EQ setup doesn't seem to mess much with anything just takes measurements for you.

The future proofing is nice, and I do use Bluetooth, however I am planning to upgrade eventually to separates as I have a huge obsession now with finding the perfect source and amp for my system.

Onkyos have a tendency to run very hot so expect the life to be a little shorter on average due to temp related integrity issues, but they also seem to fair better than the Yamaha AVENTAGE series on retaining wattage over more than 2 channels. The best way to keep an Onkyo happy is to keep it well ventilated.

take a look at pioneer for even more wattage and much cooler. Their elite models run D3 amps that I really find exceptionally good at driving bass (could be coloring by the AVR but it sounds good to me)

The important thing as a noobie is what your doing, making an informed choice and asking opinions. Try to wade through the opinion that is based on pure emotion to the opinion that has some fact behind it and you'll be happy with your choice.
Current System:

Projector - Sony VPL-HW55ES
AVR - Onkyo TX-NR838
Fronts - Triton 2s
Center - SuperCenterXL
Surrounds - SuperSat 3s

Ask me about espresso, I'm an expert at that... I'm just learning about audio!

• Roman Johnston's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 802
Roman Johnston Posted 9 years 6 months ago
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by Roman Johnston. info_outline
Where my research lead me.

If in the $500.00 price range the Onkyo TX-NR636 (which is what I purchased) It truly is an easy choice...good power, good features, Atmos ready....pretty tough to pass up. I love mine.

If your closer to the $1000 mark...then the Anthem MRX310 is where I wanted to be, but then I would not have been able to get the better subwoofer for the Aon 2 units. (I was originally going for a full SSat3 system, but redirected funds to the speakers)

I have the SSat3 surrounds and SSat3C for my center, picking up the Aon2's next week with the FF5 Sub.

If your not buying before that will report back on the finalized system and let you know how it all comes together with the Onkyo. I did hear the Triton 7's, the Aon 3 and 2, on the Anthem head unit at the store and I have to say I was rather blown away. Will save up for the better head unit over time. But if you have the means.....get it. All the research I have read says its the best bang for the buck in the world of affordable Receivers.
LR:
Onkyo TX-NR636
Surround System = SSat3 x5
Sub - FF4

Office:
NAD T748 V2
Nearfield System = Aon 2 Mains
SSat3 Surrounds
Sub - FF3

• Tetrall's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 69
Tetrall Posted 9 years 6 months ago
This is the recommendation that the moderator posted in a thread when I asked a few questions:

"Receiver brands we recommend, based on our experience, are Anthem, Arcam, Integra, Marantz, NAD, Pioneer Elite. Expect a $1,000-2000 price range;"
Current System:

Projector - Sony VPL-HW55ES
AVR - Onkyo TX-NR838
Fronts - Triton 2s
Center - SuperCenterXL
Surrounds - SuperSat 3s

Ask me about espresso, I'm an expert at that... I'm just learning about audio!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Receiver Suggestions