file Ceiling Speakers for ATMOS

• Okran's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 2
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Okran Posted 9 years 7 months ago
I am ready to make the plunge and install 2 more speakers to make my setup 7.1.2.

What I am wondering about is which speakers should I buy for the ceiling. I have the following situation: I have no ceiling :-) Well, I do have support beams, and then in between the beams I have the 2nd floor (9 feet above the couch). So no way to hide any in-ceiling speakers.

With that situation, I was all set to buy 2 more SuperSat 3C, and use them as my ATMOS in-ceiling speakers. They would be slightly in front of the couch, angled directly at it, nestled in the 90 degrees arc between the Ceiling beam and the 2nd floor. The thing is, I read on the net that you need non-directional speakers for the ceiling, ideally with "conical 90 degree dispersion". Umh... would the SS 3c fit that description? Or should I go for the Invisa series (which will not look as nice, and may force me to build a box to contain them).

Obviously, before I buy, I would like to make sure they will work for what I want.

My current setup: 9.1
Pioneer Elite SC-85
SuperSat 50/50c for my LCR
SuperSat 3 for my Surround
ForceField 5
+ 4 Small recycled Yamaha speakers for my rear (LR), as well as my Front High (LR)

Thanks for any advice!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 9 years 7 months ago
All of of our speakers are "non-directional" in that they have a significant dispersion pattern. In the horizontal plane the SuperSat has almost 180 degrees of dispersion. Less vertical dispersion, but certainly more than 90 degrees. They are a fine choice for Atmos height in an on-ceiling installation.

• Okran's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 2
Okran Posted 9 years 7 months ago
Fantastic! Thank you! I am buying 2 more SS 3 then :-)

Now please please please Hollywood, start releasing those Atmos movies!

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 9 years 7 months ago
It appears that's happening. And from my experience the Atmos decoder does a pretty darn good job with non-Atmos encoded material too.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Ceiling Speakers for ATMOS