file New Setup

• DrSchteeve's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 3
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
DrSchteeve Posted 9 years 7 months ago
First, apologies as a newbie-58 years old and know very little about audio. Although I know I may catch the bug, right now I am just looking to create a system I can set and forget. All my current equipment is 20+ years old, so I need a complete new setup. Music 75%, home theatre 25%. Room is 25 feet by 40, but listening area 25 wide by 20. Have the money to spend, but don't want to spend any more than necessary.

My idea is Triton 1's, XBR center, Triton 7's for rear surrounds, just a 5 speaker system. Powered by what? Emotiva looks like great bang for buck, if I can get away with it, XPR-5. Open to other options, but probably want to stay below $5,000, and lower if possible (the XPR-5 is $2300 I believe).

I know I am violating many (maybe all) audiophile rules, and maybe a lot of fun, by not wanting to listen, try, etc., but right now I'm just wanting to start and maybe finish here. If the audiophile bug hits, so be it, but if not, should have a good/great system?
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 7 months ago
Welcome DrSchteeve,
Glad to have you here, and you could not be asking these questions at a better place, IMHO.
And it is never too late to start a fun hobby like this, even if you don't get bitten by the "audiophile" bug, no matter, we are really all here because of music and movies. If you enjoy music and some movies, you are building a system that will bring LOTS of pleasure for years to come.
And your idea, starting with Triton Ones is an EXCELLENT idea. Speakers are where you get the most bang for the buck and the Triton Ones are THE top choice for what you are looking for.
I would highly recommend the SuperCenter XL to go with the Ones. And Triton 7s for rear surrounds, will be AWESOME!!!!! With the Ones you will not need a subwoofer.
Electronics to go with the Triton Ones..... well everyone has their own favorites.
I would go with a good front end, like one of the Oppo blu-ray, dvd, cd players. Then you will have to decide if you want a receiver or separate pre-amp/processor and amps.
Emotiva will have some great choices for you, as well as several other companies (Peachtree, NAD, Marantz, and many more). The XPR-5 will need a pre-amp or what I am buying a XMC-1 pre-processor to send the signals to the right places. That would be an awesome combination IMHO.
Whatever you decide, pls keep us informed as we love to follow what people are doing and most importantly enjoy the ride!!!
What you are getting to do here is wonderful, enjoy the music, have fun with it,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 9 years 7 months ago
I agree with Wayne, the T1's, SC XL, and T7's would make an awesome 5-channel system. As for a 5-channel amp, the Emotiva xpr-5 would be all the amp you would ever need, especially in a HT setup...would make an excellent choice.
Another consideration might be an Emotiva xpa-5, lower watts, but a tried and true perfomer...many satisfied user's. And for a Pre/Pro (processor) drum roll please...Emotiva xmc -1...

When you join the Emotiva E-Club for just $49 a year, you save 10% on all your purchases.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!

• Dilettante's Avatar Offline
  • ALL things work together for good...
    • Thank you received: 94
Dilettante Posted 9 years 7 months ago
Agree with all above!!! Although I am not sure the OPPO 105 needs an pre-amp - I don't have one in my stereo only system - and love it. I was about the suggest the Emotiva Club also - but saw it already done - great deal!!! Only suggestion I might add to the above is - drum roll please! - a new Marantz (or Denon) receiver (instead of Emotiva) with Atmos (SR6009 or SR7009 -- $1600-$1900). By doing this upfront when Atmos becomes readily available in movies (only 5 now) then you will be ready to add GE in-ceiling speakers and go!!! If you get the Emotiva (which I love BTW) you will have to swap out later at an additional cost for only a few months use! Just my 2 nickels worth!! (Pennies are useless now!)
OPPO 105 - Decware Torii MK IV - Triton Ones

• DrSchteeve's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 3
DrSchteeve Posted 9 years 7 months ago
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by DrSchteeve. Reason: Additional information info_outline

Dilettante wrote: Agree with all above!!! Although I am not sure the OPPO 105 needs an pre-amp - I don't have one in my stereo only system - and love it. I was about the suggest the Emotiva Club also - but saw it already done - great deal!!! Only suggestion I might add to the above is - drum roll please! - a new Marantz (or Denon) receiver (instead of Emotiva) with Atmos (SR6009 or SR7009 -- $1600-$1900). By doing this upfront when Atmos becomes readily available in movies (only 5 now) then you will be ready to add GE in-ceiling speakers and go!!! If you get the Emotiva (which I love BTW) you will have to swap out later at an additional cost for only a few months use! Just my 2 nickels worth!! (Pennies are useless now!)

Wow, that's a hard one. First question is, how much differnce for music between the Emotiva setup and Marantz (or Denon)? Music 75%, HT 25%, and then, of course, how much of HT usage will ultimately benefit from Atmos? I'm not sold on Emotiva, but agree it would be nice not to buy 1st new setup in 20+ years and then want to upgrade it soon. I could go with Emotiva (or equivalent) for the preamp, which I won't need to upgrade, then go with Marantz/Denon Atmos receiver - probably better resale on the Atmos Marantz (for example) than an Emotiva non-Atmos (though I will see what Emotiva says about trade-in/upgrade).

• Winefix's Avatar Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
    • Thank you received: 70
Winefix Posted 9 years 7 months ago
I am a custom high end installer, and I own the ones and heard them extensively with Emotiva, and they sounded good, but not great.
A bit on the bright side. I am not huge fan of their products, much prefer Rogue, Peachtree and Primaluna for "bang for the buck" amps.

Also, I have heard these amazing speakers with quite a few amps, and sources, cables, etc.. and Ayre sounded the best so far, but way overpriced. (unless you have unlimited funds !!)

Good Luck

TJ
Good times, good wine, and great music !!

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back