file New System Recommendation

• shopit's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 6
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
shopit Posted 9 years 11 months ago
Well, I can say with some certainty that it is easier (and cheaper) to pick another fight than another wife! The LFR's are not my issue as I am planning to use a small sub (FF3 or FF4?) in the front. I saw your other post with your layout and your environment is much more challenging than mine. Though not ideal, have you considered an in-wall sub in the room divider to your kitchen to the left of your TV? While like any speaker there is an optimum place in a room to position a sub, it is my understanding that low frequencies radiate more uniformly that higher ones, so its less of an audio problem to place a sub to the side, rear or other non-optimum spot. My opinion is that an out of optimum position sub will still sound better than the speaker LFR's in your environment.

Do you have any idea what the latest expectation is for the XL release?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 9 years 11 months ago
The 3D Array XL is finally on its way, should be in dealers' showroom by end of October/early November.

I just reread the posts and saw I overlooked your comment about depth. Again, with our different environments, I plan to use a pair of in ceiling Invisa (650's?) speakers for the 5.1 rears, so not quit as concerned about the perceived depth. That said, I am still interested in hearing opinions regarding the stereo separation, depth and tonal quality in comparing the 3D Array, 3D Array XL and SuperSat 3 LR pair / 50 or 60 Center.

• mattk's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 2
mattk Posted 9 years 11 months ago
looks like your question was answered so maybe NOV. on the XL

Yes i have considered a in-wall sub in the spot you mention and i have actually measure and "looked inside" for cable, vents, or any other surprises. It would work well for two reasons and one being the WAF. The second being music in the kitchen, i will install an in ceiling soon and would like the bass to travel into that area also. If i place my current sub(8" jamo) across the living room next to the couch the bass does not travel to the kitchen/eat in area. I know a sub upgrade in general will help but....

After looking at my pics, where would you place in- wall surrounds and how high, My thought is behind the coach and around the same height as the front speakers. Should they be as higher?

There are some things I can't get from your pics. How high is your mantle versus the ear height on the couch and loveseat? While fronts are typically recommended around ear level, opinions for rears are all over the map from ear level to 4' above ear level, depending on whether primary use is audio or movies, the speakers are mono-, bi- or di- poles, you want to adhere to Dolby or THX specs or, lord forbid, your personal preference. I would probably place them both on the rear wall, equi-spaced to the couch. Another thought would be to build a small (1 - 2') return wall on the edge of the rear wall near the lav to give you a way to surface or flush mount a pair of rears that both face the rear couch from the sides. In any case, does the loveseat get used for AV (looks like a tough viewing angle if the tv is LCD) and, if so, will you care about their rear channels considering how far outside the audio "sweet" spot they are sitting? Would your wife let you use small surrounds on floor stands?

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 9 years 11 months ago

shopit wrote: I am still interested in hearing opinions regarding the stereo separation, depth and tonal quality in comparing the 3D Array, 3D Array XL and SuperSat 3 LR pair / 50 or 60 Center.

If the L/R mains cannot be as far apart as your primary listening/viewing distance, the 3D Arrays will be a better choice.

The SuperSat 50 and SuperSat 60 can handle more power than the 3D Arrays, so they will play louder in a larger space. They are also quite a bit more expensive - the purchase of two subs and a 3D Array would perhaps equal the performance of one sub and SuperSat 50/60 setup.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice New System Recommendation