question-circle Tritons to the next level

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
anthem Posted 10 years 3 months ago
How about one more teaser...decware.com...the Zen Torii MK 3...can be run with or without preamp...fits nicely into most budgets.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 10 years 3 months ago
Hey Joe,
We could use more Red Raiders on here.
Most of us will just share our own prejudices, what has worked for us, or we dream will work, here are mine:
I really applaud what you are trying to do, where you are coming from. We all want the best sound we can get, and I believe you are right to say the Triton 2s are fine, you need to improve in other areas.
I too have Triton 2s and believe they are often let down by being in systems that do not really reveal their total awesomeness.
They still sound great, even with lesser systems. But, wouldn't it be great.....
A LOT of people argue pretty convincingly that the source is the place to start, get the best signal possible going through the pipeline.
In which case, I agree with your idea of the Oppo 105. Nuff said.
I think the next area where you can improve is to go to a processor/power amp combo, or the tube integrated with HT bypass others are suggesting. I have a Triode TRV 88SE, integrated tube amp from Japan with 45 wpc which is lovely. It has a HT bypass and I tired it, thought it might be the cat's meow. It did not do the job for me, YMMV. Please try to get a good audition (in your home with your T2s, if you can) before you buy. I love tubes. BUT in my home theater the T2s (I likes to play em loud) had too much bass for my tubes and introduced microphonic ringing and distortion into the tubes, sound waves hitting the sides of the tubes.
I went with Vincent hybrid amps, the SP-T800 mono blocks. They have a tube first stage but transistors for the 200 wpc output. And the first 20 wpc are pure Class A. They run a little warm, but sound ooooohh, so good. My source is an Oppo 95, the 105 is supposed to be even better. My processor is the Marantz AV-7005. There are still improvements I can make and I am trying as I can afford them, but I gotta say, this sounds VERY Sweet.
I hope this helps some, any, maybe.
All the best in your quest, you are definitely on the right track. Pls let us know what you decide and how it comes out.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

• Redraider1138's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 3
Redraider1138 Posted 10 years 3 months ago
Thank you all for the input so far. To give you an update, I bought the Oppo 105 this past weekend, and I spent most of the three day Memorial weekend listening to this thing. I have to admit that I was skeptical that I would hear any difference between it an my old NAD. Boy! Was I wrong! The Oppo made a huge difference to the sound quality. The Tritons sound extremely sweet! I spent a lot of time simply going back through my music library and re-enjoying my music and my Tritons. Wayne, I think you are correct about the source being critical.

Now, I am left being unsure if I really need to upgrade to separate amps or a separate integrated amp. The Rogue Audio Sphinx (with HT bypass as suggested by Winefix) is still at the top of my list. I hope I can find a dealer who will let me try before buying. However, after purchasing the Oppo, I now need some time to replenish my funds. The good news is that I have a very enjoyable system to pass the time! Anybody want to buy an old NAD T 562? :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 10 years 3 months ago
Good move Joe, well done!!!!!!
And thanks really for reporting back to us. It helps me for future plans for sure.
I have a feeling that you will enjoy diminishing returns on further upgrades, speakers first (you got em) and then the source (you now got that too), I think amps much less difference, less noticeable.
But what do I know? So please keep buying and replacing and telling us how it went?
Enjoy, I am sure you will,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

• Winefix's Avatar Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
    • Thank you received: 70
Winefix Posted 10 years 3 months ago
Nice work, thanks for the update-

Love the Oppo gear and I may grab a set of their new cans as they have been getting great reviews.

I agree, you started with the most important items first and then tweak your amps and / or preamp stages.
Nice to squeeze every bit or performance possible out of the Tritons, but doesn't have to happen overnight.
It's fun seeing the improvements step by step.

TJ

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Good times, good wine, and great music !!

• Redraider1138's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 3
Redraider1138 Posted 10 years 3 months ago
Oh I will definitely keep buying! That's one of the fun parts of this hobby - researching, trying, and buying new gear. I am anxious to hear from Winefix once he gets his Triton 1s and plays them through his Rogue Audio Sphinx integrated amp.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Tritons to the next level