question-circle Tritons to the next level

• Redraider1138's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 3
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Redraider1138 Posted 10 years 4 months ago
Hey forum! I own a pair of Triton 2s, and I'm ready to take them to the next level. I need your help in getting ideas of what I can do to get there. I apologize in advance for the post being long.

Here is my current setup:
Triton 2s and 50c across the front
Velodyne HGS10 for sub
Marantz SR7005
NAD T 562 for my CDs, SACDs, DTS
PS3 for Blu-rays
Pro-Ject 1.2 for vinyl
Apple TV to stream

Here's the situation: I love my setup for movies and TV, but I feel something is missing for 2-channel music. I can't figure out exactly what it is, but the best way I can describe it is a lack of warmth for music. To me music in my system is not as engaging as it could be. The good news is that I believe that the Tritons are not the issue but are being held back by the equipment I am using. I'm convinced an upgrade or two in equipment is what I need, but maybe there's something else I need to consider of which you all are aware?

When I listen to music, it is usually CDs through my NAD over analog cables with Audyssey disengaged on the Marantz. I found Audyssey made things sound too digital, and I preferred the DAC in the NAD over the one in the Marantz. I also occasionally stream my library through the ATV, but I haven't ventured into hi-res audio yet. I inherited the turntable, and now own a few records, which I am enjoying. The big question for you all: what component do I upgrade to get the best audible improvement?

I did come up with several options:
1. Upgrade my source to the Oppo 105. The NAD has been great over the years, but it's probably time to move on. I could benefit from the superior DACs for audio as well as take advantage of the inputs it has for my ATV and future hi-res audio files. Is this choice as obvious as it seems?

2. Buy an amp for the Triton 2s. I am considering something like the Emotiva XPA-1L monoblocks, but other ideas are welcome. Everything I read implies that the Tritons like some good amplification, but will I hear immediate sonic improvements? I know separate amps can lay the foundation for future improvements.

3. Buy a new receiver. Maybe the NAD 758? Maybe removing the Marantz out of the chain will solve my issues? My problem is that I am very pleased with the Marantz for movies and TV, and I run the risk of not making significant gains to make it worth my while.

4. This is the most radical idea. Buy a separate integrated amp and use that for 2-channel only listening. I would NOT have the integrated amp connected in any way to the my home theater. I would run separate speaker wire, and I would physically change the wire depending on what I am listening to. Not ideal, but I would do it for the love of music. I am considering something like the Rogue Audio Sphinx, NAD 356 BEE, or the Peachtree Nova 125. The problem with the Nova is that it would be redundant if I also I had the Oppo. Why have two awesome DACs and only use one?

Any additional ideas, thoughts, or suggestions you have would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Joe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 10 years 4 months ago
If you are really happy with your movie/TV setup...don't change it. As for 2-channel music, I like option #4. I'd go with a Rogue Audio Sphinx and feed it to a Oppo-105. Plenty of power with tube sweetness and a state of the art blu-ray/CD player.

#2 is also a good option...the Emotiva xpa-1L's could be run directly into the Oppo 105. I use the xpa-1 mono's with a PrimaLuna Premium preamp & Oppo 105...sounds great.

You might consider the Peachtree Nova 125 and pair it with an Oppo103...
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Redraider1138

• Winefix's Avatar Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
    • Thank you received: 70
Winefix Posted 10 years 3 months ago
Super easy, but a custom Spynx with HT bypass (check Audiogon or locally)
Problem solved and never have to change speaker cables for 2 channel or HT.

I have the above set up with Triton ones on order- can't wait !!!
Good times, good wine, and great music !!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Redraider1138

• Redraider1138's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 3
Redraider1138 Posted 10 years 3 months ago
Thank you, Anthem. The Oppo seems like my next step, and I may need to look into PrimaLuna, too.

Winefix, would you mind elaborating a little more on the setup you described? The Tritons connect (and stay connected) to the integrated amp, and then the int amp connects to the receiver via the HT bypass? How does volume control work in this setup? Is the HT bypass an input or an output? I'm having trouble visualizing how all of this connects and interacts.

Thanks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem

• Winefix's Avatar Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
    • Thank you received: 70
Winefix Posted 10 years 3 months ago
With HT bypass, you are only using the amp portion of the integrated via HT bypass input and the volume is controlled by your receiver.

This is the way to go if someone wants one set up for 2 channel and HT, and doesn't want to mess with changing cables.
Feel free to email me if you have any other questions or need pics.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

TJ
Good times, good wine, and great music !!

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 10 years 3 months ago
Redraider: PrimaLuna has a beautiful integrated amp...it is HT bypass equipped, plus is Stereophile Class A ...highly recommended.
primaluna-usa.com/product-main/dl-prem-series/dlprem-int....reviews are in the upper left corner of screen... dialogue premium

The Dialogue Premium HP Integrated & Power Amps will be making an appearance this summer...HP models have a double row of power tubes...double the power.
stereƓphile.com/.../primalunas-forthcoming-dialogue-premium-hp-o (the HP units have my interest)
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
Attachments:

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Tritons to the next level