file Aon 3 or SuperSat 50

• iMatt's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
iMatt Posted 10 years 6 months ago
I will be building a home theater with an acoustically transparent screen. I'm considering buying either the Aon 3s or SuperSat 50s for my front L/C/Rs. I'd prefer to go with the SuperSats because that would allow the screen to be closer to the wall. My question is, once paired with an appropriate sub, how much difference in sound quality should I expect between the two?

Thanks,
Matt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 10 years 6 months ago
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by Moderator. info_outline
With appropriate crossover and sub, no difference. Because the SuperSats will require a higher crossover point, it will be important to locate a single sub toward the center front of the room, or a pair of subs in the L/R front of the room, to maintain proper localization.

Typically, with behind screen applications, people would use three of the Invisa MPX in-wall speakers, instead of the on-wall SuperSats.
The following user(s) said Thank You: iMatt

• iMatt's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
iMatt Posted 10 years 6 months ago
Thanks for the quick reply. Based on your response, I've ruled out the Aons, but I'm now considering the Invisias. Regardless of which I go with, the screen will be a few inches away from the wall. Given that there will be room for the SuperSats anyway, would you recommend them or the Invisias?

Also, I'm planning on two subs (perhaps the ForceField 4?) in the front corners of the room. I'd like to conceal them in a cabinet below the screen (see image). What issues will this cause? The cabinet doesn't have to be functional. It could be walled with or filled with dampening material. The doors can be fronted with acoustically transparent material as well if that would be better.

If this is a bad idea, I might be able to shorten the cabinet so the subs could sit between it and the left/right walls. This would just require getting a new building permit from she who must be obeyed. :)

- Matt
Attachments:

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 10 years 6 months ago
SuperSats would be easier, I guess, especially if you aren't running the wires in the wall. And certainly more portable if you ever move or rearrange. Three SuperSat 50's vs three Invisa MPX performance wise, especially with the dual subs, no real difference.

No problem putting the subs behind cabinet doors that are covered in acoustically transparent cloth. I might suggest one cabinet in from the end, rather than the corner ones, as that will cause corner loading and more boominess in the room. Make sure there is some space around the sub for air to flow and that the sub sits on the floor, not the floor of the cabinet. No point in damping material, you can't damp the low frequencies. Try to put the subs as close to the front as possible, even touching the cloth, to minimize the added enclosure resonances.

(Better to be freestanding for sure, but best if "she" is happy.) :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: iMatt

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Aon 3 or SuperSat 50