file SuperSat 3s or 50s best for Surrounds and Rears?

• Brian's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Brian Posted 11 years 9 months ago
I would appreciate any informed recommendations on which SuperSat models are best for surround speakers and which are best for rear speakers. I am inclined to think the the SuperSat 50s would be best for both since they appear to be fuller range speakers, but I am concerned that the tweeter (HVFR ) might not be optimally placed in the SS 50s for rear channel. I only have 7 ft ceilings in the rear (9 ft. in front) and the tweeters in the SS 50s look like they could be 9 inches lower than those in the SS 3s. Thus the sound in the rears may sound like it is coming too low vertically even if the 50s are mounted vertically close to the ceiling.

I would appreciate hearing anyone's experience with using the SS50s for rear speakers in a room with such a low rear ceiling.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 11 years 9 months ago
I use SuperSat 50's for surrounds in a room with a 7.5' ceiling and am quite happy with the presentation. As far as 50's vs 3's, not much difference in a surround application with an appropriate crossover.

• Brian's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
Brian Posted 11 years 9 months ago
I am glad to hear that the 50's work well for you as surround and rear speakers. please let me know how you have positioned
them relative to the ceiling. in particular how far is the top of the speaker from the ceiling in the rear. and how far off the floor is the tweeter positioned on the side speakers?
and although you say there is not much difference between the 2 classes of surround speakers, is there a difference that favors 1 or the other?
then you talk about setting crossovers. I did not even know that you could set crossovers for the surround and rear speakers. but if you can what do you recommend for the fifties and the threes?

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 11 years 9 months ago
The 50's are as close to the ceiling as they can go, puts the tweeter at about 6'.

The 50 has better extension than the 3 and is in an aluminum, rather than polymer, cabinet. Better extension means lower allowable crossover setting or high overall playing ceiling.

Crossovers are set in the receiver/surround sound processor. The most basic allow for just one global crossover setting for all speakers set to "Small" and a Subwoofer (if present). More advanced allow for independent crossover settings of up to all channels. Crossover suggestions are in the manual, but for surround/rear applications we would recommend a setting of 120Hz for either model.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice SuperSat 3s or 50s best for Surrounds and Rears?