question-circle Triton2+ subwoofer connection

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
ArthurDaniels Posted 5 years 4 months ago
Hi Martin,

Since you are using your setup for both music and movies, you might want to consider whether music or movie sound is the most important to you, then approach your options with that preference in mind. If both are equally important, then find the best compromise with your available connection and setup options.

We can offer our best advice, but every situation is different and certainly listening preferences are different. Understand your options, then try them out yourself to find what you like best.

Happy listening,

Art

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 5 years 4 months ago
Try the system with Audyssey and without it (dialing in the system yourself) to see which you prefer. Whichever sounds best to you is correct! In either case, make sure you set the Triton towers to Large or Full Range.

• EdiMC's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 1
EdiMC Posted 3 years 10 months ago
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by EdiMC. info_outline
Hi guys! I'm kind of in the same situation as the OP...
I have a pair of Triton Three's, a SC XXL (Super Sats 3 are on their way! :D) and a SVS SB2000 and I'm having a little bit of a hard time getting everything to sound right.
I think it mostly has to do with room modes... also, this is the family room, so I'm very limited regarding positioning...
I would like to see if I could live without the dedicated sub and want to try the Tritons sub performance in HT.

I've been doing some reading and I think I'll try a few things:
1 - Set the Tritons to LARGE, sub to NO and use only line level connection between the AVR and the speakers (this way, the x-over point will be set as intended by Sandy and the team right?
My only concern is that it seems that some AVR's apply a roll off to the lower frequencies when using this method... or did I get it wrong?);
2 - Set the Tritons to SMALL, sub to ON and use the LFE connections - my Marantz SR7009 has 2 sub outputs, should I use one per seaker? Or should I use a splitter as recommended in the manual?
Hooking up thins this way, what X-over point should I set?
I know that everything is about compromises, but it bugs me a bit not to take advantage of all the hard work that Sandy and the team put into the design of these beauties... in order to avoid this, should I set the Tritons to LARGE?
3 - Run LFE to both T3's via a splitter and a second LFE from the second sub out to the sub. Set the front speakers to LARGE, sub to ON...

Ah! Almost forgot! How about using Audyssey?
Yes, I know that I should not use it for equalizing/bass management because the software as a hard time with this kind of configuration, but I will have to run it in order to get the distances right, right?
As I already have everything dialed in, can I just turn it off and try out what I intend to do?

P.S. Sorry for any mistakes, but English is not my main language ;)

Here's a pic from the front trio! :)

Big thanks!

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 3 years 10 months ago
Hello EdiMC,

In reply to your questions, I am sharing what I have experienced as the result of my experiments with my Triton Ones.

1. I have a Cambridge 851A Stereo Amplifier, which I use to drive my Triton Ones in a "music-only" listening setup. With the Tritons connected to the speaker outputs only (no connection to the LFE inputs on the Tritons) and the Tritons LFE control set to the 12:00 mid-point, I have found that "musical bass" is adequate and natural when listening at relatively loud sound levels, but not satisfactory when listening at lower volume levels.

2. When I have set my Tritons up as part of a multi-channel AV system, using my Cambridge CXR120 7.2-capable AV Receiver, I have connected the each of two sub-woofer outputs to one of the Tritons' LFE terminals. When listening to multi-channel sound (including LFE signals) from a video source with volume set to a "comfortable level" for movie-soundtrack listening, the LFE bass response is adequate and natural with the AV Receiver's controls set for LARGE Speakers, LFE+Main, and Bass and Treble set to the neutral position (no boost or cut). However, I was less pleased with this setup when listening to two-channel music.

3. If I were using my Tritons as the FRONTS part of an AV setup and intending to listen to both music and movie soundtracks, I would connect each Triton LFE terminal to one of my AV Receiver's sub outputs. I would set all the Speakers to LARGE (unless my surround speakers could not handle full-range signals). I would set the Receiver to LFE+MAIN so that all bass signals are being sent to the LFE terminals. I would set the Tritons' LFE controls to the mid-point. If these settings produce acceptable sound at my normal listening volume levels, then I would be satisfied.

However, if this arrangement was not satisfactory for listening to music and watching movies, I would decide which type of sound was more important (in my case, it would be music) and I would consider ways by which I could have separate Movie and Music setups (which is what I have done in my setup). If you are interested in considering this approach, there are a number of options which become available, both for connections and for how you set the controls for each setup.

I hope this information helps to you think about your options and desired outcome.

Happy Listening,

Art

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Basic Hookup and Wiring Questions Triton2+ subwoofer connection