question-circle Triton2+ subwoofer connection

• Martin-Andersen's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Martin-Andersen Posted 5 years 4 months ago
I have a Marantz 8805 with two subwoofer outputs.
Should I connect speaker A to sub output 1 and speaker B to sub output 2?

I guess that the Audyssey setup will see each speaker as a subwoofer
Marantz AV8805, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen2, PS3, AppleTV, TIDAL streaming, PS Audio Detect, QED XT40 Speaker Cables

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Timecop's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 270
Timecop Posted 5 years 4 months ago
Audyssey will have difficulty with this type of setup, as in its world view subwoofers are separate objects from main speakers. I find it easier to turn audyssey off, as it wasn’t great identifying and setting up subs even when they ARE separate speakers.

The sub 1/2 outputs send general low-level information out. With the 8805, you may have the option to select specific volume levels for sub 1 vs. sub 2 out - but the information itself isn’t split into left/right channels.

E.G., if you want true channel specific bass information per speaker - use only speaker wire and let the GEt crossovers take care of that for you.
Triton Two front L/R
SuperSat 50c center
Triton Seven surround L/R
SuperSat 50 surround rear L/R
AVR Arcam AVR-21
Amp Marantz mm7025
Velodyne optimum 10” sealed, back left corner
SuperSub X front-right corner

From the user manual:
With surround sound playback you also have the option to use the low level LFE input in addition to the speaker wires. To do this, simply use a “Y” connector (available from your dealer) out of the Sub/LFE output on your receiver or processor to feed two line level cables, connecting one to the LFE
input on your left Triton speaker and the other to the LFE input on your right speaker. Again, “Tell” your receiver or processor’s bass management system that you have “Large” left and right front speakers and select “Yes” for subwoofer. This will send only the .1 LFE signal via the line level cables. The use of this connection method will allow you to adjust, from your receiver/processor, the LFE channel volume
level for movie playback (or any source with a “.1” channel). Some listeners prefer this method of hook-up in order to raise the LFE level for more dramatic sound effects on movies. PLEASE NOTE: Some receivers/processors have a setting option called “Double Bass”, or sometimes “Super Bass” or “Bass+”. This option sends both LFE and bass above a specified crossover to the LFE channel. Use of this
option should be avoided as it will likely cause the speakers to sound bloated and bass heavy.

I guess that I will try the dual sub setup. Maybe I can sell my sub, that is what I am aiming for.
But you are right I also think that Audyssey will get very confused (:
Marantz AV8805, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen2, PS3, AppleTV, TIDAL streaming, PS Audio Detect, QED XT40 Speaker Cables

• Timecop's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 270
Timecop Posted 5 years 4 months ago
Oh, I use two subs with my GEt system to effect great results! I simply use LFE to the subs, and speaker-wire to the t2’s. That said - there are a lot of gents on here that connect LFE out to the towers and prefer it that way.
Triton Two front L/R
SuperSat 50c center
Triton Seven surround L/R
SuperSat 50 surround rear L/R
AVR Arcam AVR-21
Amp Marantz mm7025
Velodyne optimum 10” sealed, back left corner
SuperSub X front-right corner

I don't have a very large room. So when I get the Triton 2+ next week I will see if I can live without a real sub

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 5 years 4 months ago
Hi

If you are not using free standing subs as Timecop does, I would recommend running LFE to your T2+'s, setting them as large, sub on, and since you have two sub outs as do I, in your case, connecting the 2+'s separately, one to each sub out. Everyone's set-up needs are some different.

I agree with Timecop that Audyssey, for whatever reason, can't seem to decipher how to set up built in subs in the Tritons. I don't use Audyssey either.

Since you're using the Triton bass sections as your sub source also, what the separate gain control options for the sub feeds to the two T2+'s will do is let you adjust relative bass levels for LFE effects better and deal better with possible room modes. I don't run free standing subs and use sub 1 to control front Triton sub levels, and sub 2 to control surround Triton sub levels. Same concept. Every room is different, and having some flexibility in adjusting bass distribution is well worth providing. First though, set your T2+s for best sound quality with music, and then use the gain settings in your receiver to adjust LFE bass distribution.

Have fun! I think you're going to love your new Triton 2+'s!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, Martin-Andersen

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Basic Hookup and Wiring Questions Triton2+ subwoofer connection