file Two Channel guy trying out basic home theatre

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
GDHAL Posted 5 years 6 months ago
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by GDHAL. info_outline

ArthurDaniels wrote: Unless I am mistaken, so long as you have no active signal present at the LFE inputs on your Reference speakers, just having cables plugged in to the LFE inputs should not affect the sound. Best, Art

I tend to agree. It shouldn't. However, in an RF prone environment and with a long enough cable run, I'd imagine it could. And this further assumes that whatever device the other end of the cable is connected too is truly "off" and shielded from channel and/or other input cross-talk. This is one reason I was suggesting to the OP that it may be worthwhile to do some testing. :)
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 5 years 6 months ago
Hi GDHAL,

I am intrigued by the RCA Shorting Plugs -- so much so that I just ordered a set of 10 plugs from Amazon via the link you supplied in your email. Currently, I have nothing plugged in to my Triton Ones' LFE Inputs, so I will look forward to trying out the shorting plugs to hear the difference.

I can also use these plugs in other open RCA type inputs I have in my gear.

Thanks for the tip.

Best,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: GDHAL

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

ArthurDaniels wrote: Hi GDHAL,

I am intrigued by the RCA Shorting Plugs -- so much so that I just ordered a set of 10 plugs from Amazon via the link you supplied in your email. Currently, I have nothing plugged in to my Triton Ones' LFE Inputs, so I will look forward to trying out the shorting plugs to hear the difference.

I can also use these plugs in other open RCA type inputs I have in my gear.

Thanks for the tip. Best, Art

You're welcome, Art. And by the way, the shorting plugs I linked to - which are the ones I use - have a removable center pin, so you could also use it as a "cover" for any RCA socket.
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
OP, from the Golden Ear website:

What's the deal with the RCA jack on the back of the Tritons?
Here are some tips on using (or not using) the LFE-in on Triton models with built-in powered bass sections. As you know, we normally suggest just hooking up Tritons with speaker wire and configuring your processor to "Large" for Left and Right, and Sub set to "No". This will then feed the LFE signal into the left and right speaker channels where it goes down the speaker wire where the circuitry in the Triton takes it out and feeds it to the built-in sub. The reason why we have always suggested bass management settings of "Large" Left and Right and Sub "No" is that everything is then properly balanced, especially for stereo two channel music listening. There has been much confusion regarding whether or not some receivers are actually doing this, based on the fact that some listeners found the LFE level much more pronounced (to them, better) when they ran separate LFE cables into the Tritons. While there might be some circumstances on some units where the LFE is not fed into the Left and Right channels (such as on a 2.0 system), per industry standards this is always supposed to be the case for multi-channel playback (usually 3.0 or higher). However, we have found this not uniformly implemented in many popular receivers and processors. We have found that some receivers/processors actually attenuate or roll off the LFE channel if subwoofer is set to "No", in which case running LFE cables and setting the sub to "Yes" (Tritons still as "Large" or full band) is the only way to get full LFE channel bass. For this reason, we now suggest running LFE cables to all powered Tritons, still set Tritons to "Large", but now Sub is set to "Yes", and connecting the LFE-out from the receiver/processor to the LFE ins on the Tritons

Another reason to choose this approach is that when you say Sub "No", the LFE signal is sent into the Left and Right channels at a level predetermined by the electronics manufacturer and not variable by the user, as it would normally be when the LFE-out is used (Sub set to "Yes"). Some listeners may want a higher (or lower) LFE level than the standard setting. Using the LFE-out, will allow you to set a higher (or lower) LFE level by using the receiver/processor's subwoofer level adjustment.

Also, please note that some processors have a setting (called variously super bass, bass plus, etc., or perhaps even running all the time), that even with a setting of "Large" Left and Right, in two channel mode the low bass is sent both to the left and right speakers and the sub. The problem here is that if you have speakers with extended bass, like the Tritons, you will have too much bass and it will likely sound boomy or muddy. In the case of the Tritons, if you use the LFE input and one of these "bass plus" settings, the Tritons will basically be sent double the bass signal on two channel music.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 5 years 6 months ago
I now have the shorting plugs in hand. I notice that the male plug is recessed within the housing.

As you mentioned, the plug casing is a very tight fit when pushed into the LFE jack on the back of my Triton Ones. So, my question is:

How can I know that the male plug is actually engaging the female receptacle? I am not sure that I can apply enough pressure by hand to totally seat the plug housing. And, I am reluctant to use any kind of tool to push the shorting plug more firmly into the LFE receptacle.

Comments?

Thanks,

Art

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi Art. I don't know what you mean when you state the male plug is recessed. the shorting plug is (or should be) the identical RCA connector as though you were putting a cable on the LFE connection, except there is no cable. And of course, do not use any kind of tool. The plug goes on/off by hand. The connector on the Triton is a female connector. The shorting plugs I linked to can be male or female, depending on whether or not you have the center pin screwed (it is literally threaded) in.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your question/issue and some other member can chime in.

EDIT:

I just took my shorting plug off the LFE connection. The plugs I have is such that the male pin sticks out about 1/4 longer than the rest of the plug. The male pin is not recessed by any means. The package of plugs is typically 10 or so. Perhaps one or two pins is defective and not the right length. Is this the case with all of the plugs you received?

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Basic Hookup and Wiring Questions Two Channel guy trying out basic home theatre